• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    We're going to the gun show this weekend. He's looking for a 9mm compact for concealed carry. (no OC arguments please!) Obviously reliability and versatility are given factors, aesthetics are brand name prestige are also factors as well.

Suggestions and even pictures greatly appreciated!

(his lifetime LTCH was my birthday gift to him btw :D )

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Find as many as you can from buddies, neighbors, etc and have him shoot them all

I'm an M&P fan myself, but everyone is different.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    You're gonna hear from the CZ crowd. Figured I may as well put it out there. Check out the CZ P-01. It's my CC gun and I loves it lots.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Any major quality brand will serve you fine.

Glock, XD, M&P, Ruger, Sig, CZ etc.

Personally, I like the Glock 19. Have not shot an XD. M&P trigger is bad, but can be fixed if this grip fits you better. Other than the reset, I like the M&P. Sig is good quality, but often not a good value. Ruger is a lot of gun for the money, but I have not shot one.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Find as many as you can from buddies, neighbors, etc and have him shoot them all

I'm an M&P fan myself, but everyone is different.

Excellent advice. I'm assuming that he isn't going to want to go out and drop 750-1k on this immediately.

Sp2022 ~400-500 (Std sights-Siglites)
    XD line ~not sure, don't own one, have shot several and are very nice wowing the grip safety.
    M&P are nice
    Rock Island makes a 1911 9mm for right at 400 that would be a good entry level single stack.
    CZs are nice.

Go have him fondle them, find what fits him best and maybe you can find someone on here who has one and be willing to allow range test drives.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If there are 50 posts there will be 50 different recommendations. My suggestion is to take him to the Indy 1500 and tell him to pick up every gun there and write down the ones he likes. Then, on Sunday, take him to a range that rents and have him shoot ones on his "like" list. That will do him a lot more good then reading suggestions from me and my fellow, well-meaning if a bit over-enthusiastic INGOers. Have fun!

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    We're not gonna make any final decisions based on any one person's recommendation on here. With so many 9mm compacts I wanted to sort of take a pseudo-poll of some of the more reputable ones and narrow it to maybe 4 or 5 to look for and get prices in them to compare against at the show.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    get him a hi-point foty with gold accents from Don's...only buy him enough boolitz to fill the "clip" <purple off>

Uggggh!

Sadly, my father, a man who has owned handguns all his life, still calls the ammunition storage devices inserted into the butt of his XD "clips." :ugh:

I cannot break him of this...:facepalm:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    CZ Rami is a quality gun, but you might find the safety a bit stiff. It also depends on your hand size if you'll find it comfortable, but it shoots nicely.

I hear good things about the Sig P224, but I haven't tried one myself.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I will second the Ruger SR9c. It is a pretty compact gun that conceals well in my opinion. I don't use the pinkeye's extension because on me it prints a little more. You can throw in the sr9 magazines and have a full size grip at the range.

Top Bottom