• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My daughter is only 3 do I don't have to worry about it for some time. Right now I'm focusing my effort on scaring every local boy her age's parents so the seed is already planted by the time we get to boyfriend age.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bethany seems to think that's wrong.

[h=1]Dad Sends Misguided Message With Daughter's Shirt[/h]SheKnows‎April‎ ‎22‎, ‎2015

[h=2]by Bethany Ramos[/h]

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/dad-sends-misguided-message-with-daughters-shirt-117086189443.html

But the whole point of being a parent in a new generation is that I think we can do better. This isn’t the 1950s where a girl waits quietly upstairs for a date to arrive, and Dad sits on the front porch cleaning his shotgun. Today’s parents have the opportunity not to scare their kids into obedience but to teach them self-respect and how to navigate dangerous situations on their own.

I think she's missing the point. The dad is not trying to scare the DAUGHTER into obedience. He's trying to scare her date into remembering there are consequences. Teenagers can sometimes believe they are immortal, and rules don't apply to them. An occasional voice whispering "Thou Art Mortal" is not out of line, in my mind.

And here we go...
    I can only speak from my personal experience, but I was raised in a home with an authoritarian parent who enforced the rules but never taught me to value myself. As a result, here I am, almost 15 years since I’ve left my parents’ house, and I’m still trying to figure it out. I’m parenting my kids, and I’m parenting myself.
    Because her parents may or may not have made a mistake, or just because she has a problem, then that must apply to EVERYONE.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I have 2 daughters. Word has made it back to me (sometimes directly, sometimes not) that certain gentleman-callers are scared of me. It surprised me at first - I don't think of myself as a particularly scary guy. :)

But, overall, I was totally ok with it. The boys have all been very nice and respectful - to me, my wife, and my daughters. So whatever it takes to keep it that way is just fine.

I don't think they even know about the gun thing.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    having 3 daughters... a little fear/respect is a good start. First meet and greet, cleaning the gun is always a good ice breaker.. followed by a firm handshake and icy stare.:twocents:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    First questions to a prospective suitor. So, do you have any hobbies? I like shooting and digging deep holes in the woods. You do know that she's to be back by eleven, correct? Good. Oh, by the way, do you know to use a shovel?

Indysioux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Carmel IN
    Way back, when I was dating the woman I was to ultimately marry, she outshot me at the range. Her father had two daughters, and that didn't stop him from teaching them how to shoot, fish, camp, etc. (Neither one ever expressed an interest in actual hunting though). Her understanding of guns has been a blessing throughout our marriage. I did (and still do) respect her father :).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Boyfriends fearing their girlfriend's father is the natural order of things. If a boy does does not fear his girlfriend's father, there are a limited number of reasons why this failure has occurred:

1. The boy is too stupid to realize that he is in danger.
    2. Dad is too much of a pu**y.
    3. A combination of #1 & #2.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Bethany seems to think that's wrong...

As a result, here I am, almost 15 years since I’ve left my parents’ house, and I’m still trying to figure it out. I’m parenting my kids, and I’m parenting myself.

Perhaps Bethany should have figured our her life before popping out rugrats to be raised by someone that is still parenting herself.

Top Bottom