• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I spoke with Springfield again today.
    For all of you that said I would not have to do a 4473 because they are a manufacturer and a FFL are correct atleast in my specific case. Springfield intends to ship the replacement pistol to me with signature of a person over 21.
    They did not have the specific reason other than the pistol was too far out of spec for repair. I would imagine it was probably the frame and slide.
    I looked for a compact 1911 in 9mm for awhile and I was pretty happy when I picked this one up. Looks like I'll get the just purchased feeling again...... Some day.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I spoke with Springfield again today.
    For all of you that said I would not have to do a 4473 because they are a manufacturer and a FFL are correct atleast in my specific case. Springfield intends to ship the replacement pistol to me with signature of a person over 21.

Really? Wow. We have had several cases where the mfr. replaced a customer's firearm, and we have been instructed by ATF to do a 4473. Maybe it's different since you sent it in yourself rather than going through a dealer.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Really? Wow. We have had several cases where the mfr. replaced a customer's firearm, and we have been instructed by ATF to do a 4473. Maybe it's different since you sent it in yourself rather than going through a dealer.
    The way I understand it being that they are the manufacturer and the OP is the actual owner if the firearm - that it can be returned directly to the owner.

If they transferred it to you, for you to send it off, when it came back to you - it would need to be transferred back out to them. You're not a manufacturer, so I assume you have to do a 4473 for any time a gun changes hands.

I assume you do not do 4473's to acquire new firearms to sell, just as the manufacturer would not require a 4473 from the current owner of the firearm that was being serviced.

I'm not a lawyer nor do I work for the ATF.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Did the ATF reference a law or ??? Just because they give you an opinion or some clown agent "thinks" it should be that way....DOES NOT MAKE IT GOSPEL. NEXT TIME, YOU WANT LAW REFERENCES!

I shipped a CZ CZ75 P01 to CZ USA (across state lines) and they sent it back to me signature required after they did the warranty work. They stepped up and took care of me since the gun was slightly out of the warranty period. I honestly would by another gun from them when I am in the market.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Did the ATF reference a law or ??? Just because they give you an opinion or some clown agent "thinks" it should be that way....DOES NOT MAKE IT GOSPEL. NEXT TIME, YOU WANT LAW REFERENCES!

I shipped a CZ CZ75 P01 to CZ USA (across state lines) and they sent it back to me signature required after they did the warranty work. They stepped up and took care of me since the gun was slightly out of the warranty period. I honestly would by another gun from them when I am in the market.

Is there a reason why your tone went all angry elf or do you just use a lot of caps?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been involved with this exactly twice. One case we, (the store sent it back) to the OEM. It came back to the store, we called the customer and did the normal 4473 paperwork. The other time a customer sent a handgun back to Ruger himself. They mailed him the new handgun back directly to his house and no 4473 paperwork was needed. With the new pistol, they sent him a certified document that the original firearm was destroyed an that serial number no longer is attached to any firearm, and has been replaced by the new serial number. I am trying to remember, but that may have been before the NICS laws went into place.

I personally sent my trophy match springfiled directly to springfield for repair. They shipped it back UPS. I lived alone then and UPS dropped it off with no signature. I was not home for 3 days and when I got home I found it in the snow next to my porch. Luckily no one got to it before me.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would guess, that in this case, the new gun will have the destroyed gun's serial number. Then he would not need to do a 4473. If not, how is the gun disposed of in the MFG record? It cannot go to an individual without a 4473, only an FFL.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    They don't even arrest people who fail NICS due to being a felon or other reasons that are arrestable... I don't think the manufacturer has to worry about this.

I think you are right, I heard back from them. A guy named Barrack O'Brien, he said as long as it is sent to a Mexican address or Irish there would be no problem. :dunno:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    As I understand it, them being the manufacturer and it being replaced under warranty you don't need to do a 4473.

I could be wrong... Maybe somebody else will know for sure.

Only if the original frame is destroyed and the replacement has the same serial number. AFAIK.

TheBigTim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had an issue with my Taurus .44. I sent it directly to them and they sent me a brand new one to a FFL. New gun new paperwork. I thought that was the standard but it looks like it depends a lot on the manufacture.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    They have been able to trace firearms by serial for ages.

Yeah, but if that's the case - why is everybody so scared of a gun registry?

I'm not advocating a registry but isn't that exactly what already exists?

Yeah, but legal requirements to keep those records and then being able to chase down those records at any time is essentially a distributed registry.

Gun registry means even in the case of a private sale, the govt could track the gun, if everyone followed the registry law (however, we all realize that criminals would not do so).

Currently where there is no registration, the govt can only track the gun from the manufacturer, to the distributor, to the dealer, to the first purchaser. Beyond that, without registration, it is not able to be tracked, unless the private sellers tracked info on a bill of sale and were to provide it to the agency trying to track it.

That is why we don't want a registry... however, it might put an end to all those tragic boating accidents in which guns are lost;)

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's a SAI thing, they replace out of spec M1A receivers all the time. They simply roll mark the replacement receiver with the old serial number.

They then melt the old receiver.

Top Bottom