• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    When the Shield Arms S15 magazine came out I was beyond excited. Getting 15 rounds in a gun as thin as the Glock 48 was a no-brainer to pursue. I did my research (while waiting for them to come back in stock) and found that I also needed to order the metal Shield Arms magazine catch to prevent wear problems from developing. When I got them I put it all together and took it to the range. In my first 100 rounds I had several failures to feed but chalked it up to "newness." It would surely break in, I figured.

Many rounds later, I was still seeing failures to feed - I would get a jam whereby the slide would start to pick-up the next round but it would seem to get stuck before the case rim slipped fully under the extractor tooth. A whack on the back of the slide would put it into place. I was getting those as often as once every 2 or 3 magazines or so.

I contacted the folks at Shield Arms. They were great, they were responsive and they seemed genuinely interested in doing whatever they could to help. I must say that their customer service impressed me. They had me ship the two magazines back to them for a check. They returned them a bit later with a note that they couldn't find any problems but replaced the springs just in case. (Again, great customer service.)

The problem is that I still had a few instances of the same problem. It happened less often after the new springs (maybe about 1 out of every 50 rounds) but I judged that too frequent for "carry" reliability and I put my G48 in "timeout" until I figured out what was next. Then, about a week ago I found another contender in the market: Palmetto State Armory has a 15 round magazine for their "PSA Dagger Micro" which is essentially a Glock 43X knock-off. Best of all, with that magazine, you can use the factory magazine release. The magazine is a hybrid construction - thin metal like Shield but a polymer cover on just the front where the magazine catch is. Using the factory catch eliminates one more factor that could be causing my problem.

I purchased one of these: PSA Dagger Micro 9mm 15 Round Magazine to try out. I switched my magazine catch back to factory and tried it out at the range on Sunday. I first shot 100 rounds with factory magazines just to establish a baseline with no alterations. Zero problems. I then shot another 100 rounds with the new magazine. Again, zero problems.

It seems to be an enigma with the Shield Arms S15 magazines: some folks never have a single problem and some folks never have total success. I must have been in the second cohort for some reason. I really hope the Shield folks can find and work-out all the kinks for "the second group" of us because they seem like swell folks. In the meantime, I am very happy with the new PSA mag. So far so good.

Vimace

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your report.

No wonder I've seen lots of used s15 mags for sale !! And, also noticed the new PSA magazines. Although I do not own, yet!, a 43/x or 48 it is good to know what one would be getting into !

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I own a 43X and 48, and I have 10 Shield magazines. the first 3 age gen 1 with the remainder being newer generations. None of mine have failed in any way. I realize that I am maybe the exception. I keep detailed records and have an exact round count available. I have been happy with the performance. I also installed the mag catch from Shield arms.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd like to see where users got these aftermarket mags flawlessly through a couple/three USPSA matches. Steel or carry gun matches might also be a decent test, along with multiple higher round training classes.

Can't tell you how many failures I've run into over the years from folks with guns and gear that "were 100%" prior to the class or match. A percentage of these malfunctions were from the equipment in my hands. :xmad:

Target shooting at the range or the back yard is a LOT different than drawing your gear, to run it as fast as will go under the pressure of the timer or to finish the ordered drill. Time after time after time, in the heat of the day, covered with sweat and burnt powder.

:twocents:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I never go to my “backyard" to shoot and I never go to the range without running training or evaluation drills without a timer, never, but, then again, I’m not a "gamer" either. ;)

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    I own a 43X and 48, and I have 10 Shield magazines. the first 3 age gen 1 with the remainder being newer generations. None of mine have failed in any way. I realize that I am maybe the exception. I keep detailed records and have an exact round count available. I have been happy with the performance. I also installed the mag catch from Shield arms.
    That seems to be the mysterious thing with these; some people have zero problems. It makes me wonder if the Glocks themselves have some sort of variation in tolerance that makes some guns fail and some work fine.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My Shield magazines have qualified several times for off duty carry. My G43X, has 2332 rounds with Shield mags. The G48 has 1486. These counts are for the last nearly 3 years. I would ditch the mags in a heartbeat if they failed. My magazines of all stripes are wear items. As soon as a failure attributed to a magazine occurs, they either get tossed, which is most likely, or relegated to range use only. I don't fall in love with gear and will replace when needed. This is my experience and I have had very good luck with the magazines.

I am not a gamer and I shoot a lot. The round counts on the two listed above are lower as I shoot them less than my G45's. But nearly 4000 rounds without a failure works for me.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    That seems to be the mysterious thing with these; some people have zero problems. It makes me wonder if the Glocks themselves have some sort of variation in tolerance that makes some guns fail and some work fine.
    I think there could be tolerance stacking involved. I, admittedly, have been lucky. I know several others who have not been as fortunate.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Wanted to dredge up this 3 month old thread, since OP's review helped convince me to try the PSA Micro Dagger 15rd mags in my Glock 48 instead of the Shield mags. Main draw for me was not having to swap the mag catch, allowing use of my OEM 10s without worrying about damage from the Shield mag catch.

The day after Christmas I got the 'Back In Stock' email from PSA and ordered 2 of the silver/black mags. With S&H and tax, it was $81 for the pair. They arrived 4 days later, wrapped together in saran wrap and stuffed into a thinly padded shipping envelope. No clam-shell, box, or other packaging. Luckily, they seemed undamaged.

The first thing I did while they were still unloaded was verified they each fit and locked into my G48, and the slide locked back on the empty mags. So far so good. I then proceeded to load each. They both held the advertised 15rds, but not willingly. I was able to load 10 or 11 rds in each by hand, but had to use my Glock brand hand loader to fill them up. Even with the loader, the 15th round barely wanted to go in.

Once I had both mags fully loaded, I tried to snap one into my pistol. No go, without applying significant force. Once inserted, I tried to rack the slide on the full mag, and it barely wanted to budge. At that point, I decided to let the mags sit for a couple days fully loaded to try to "set" the springs.

Yesterday (Jan 1), I had the opportunity to test fire my new mags. First time through each, I locked the slide back empty, inserted the fully-loaded mag, dropped the slide, and ran through all 15rds each without issue. Reloading the mags was a bit easier after each use. I was able to do 12 or 13 by hand the 2nd time and 14 each the 3rd time. The stiffness of inserting and racking the fully loaded mags diminished with each use as well.

All-in, I ran 55rds through one and 45 through the other without a hiccup. More testing is obviously needed for EDC, but it was cold out and I was in a hurry. So far, so good though. Cheers.

TLDR; the 15rd PSA Micro Dagger mags seem to run great in my Glock 48, but they're expensive, PSA's shipping leaves a lot to be desired, and the mag springs start off very stiff.

Last edited:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Wanted to dredge up this 3 month old thread, since OP's review helped convince me to try the PSA Micro Dagger 15rd mags in my Glock 48 instead of the Shield mags. Main draw for me was not having to swap the mag catch, allowing use of my OEM 10s without worrying about damage from the Shield mag catch.

The day after Christmas I got the 'Back In Stock' email from PSA and ordered 2 of the silver/black mags. With S&H and tax, it was $81 for the pair. They arrived 4 days later, wrapped together in saran wrap and stuffed into a thinly padded shipping envelope. No clam-shell, box, or other packaging. Luckily, they seemed undamaged.

The first thing I did while they were still unloaded was verified they each fit and locked into my G48, and the slide locked back on the empty mags. So far so good. I then proceeded to load each. They both held the advertised 15rds, but not willingly. I was able to load 10 or 11 rds in each by hand, but had to use my Glock brand hand loader to fill them up. Even with the loader, the 15th round barely wanted to go in.

Once I had both mags fully loaded, I tried to snap one into my pistol. No go, without applying significant force. Once inserted, I tried to rack the slide on the full mag, and it barely wanted to budge. At that point, I decided to let the mags sit for a couple days fully loaded to try to "set" the springs.

Yesterday (Jan 1), I had the opportunity to test fire my new mags. First time through each, I locked the slide back empty, inserted the fully-loaded mag, dropped the slide, and ran through all 15rds each without issue. Reloading the mags was a bit easier after each use. I was able to do 12 or 13 by hand the 2nd time and 14 each the 3rd time. The stiffness of inserting and racking the fully loaded mags diminished with each use as well.

All-in, I ran 55rds through one and 45 through the other without a hiccup. More testing is obviously needed for EDC, but it was cold out and I was in a hurry. So far, so good though. Cheers.

TLDR; the 15rd PSA Micro Dagger mags seem to run great in my Glock 48, but they're expensive, PSA's shipping leaves a lot to be desired, and the mags start off very stiff.
    Thanks for the report. I am not currently carrying my G48 for CCW and I have a BUNCH of SA-15 magazines. I’m interested in these magazines. I like the idea of using the PSA magazines because of the plastic on plastic for the mag catch. The sharp edge of the magazine against any mag catch is concerning.
    You will not ruin that aluminum mag catch by using either mags. You will ruin a plastic one though if you use the SA-15.
    The same problem of loading mags full also is true in the new P365 X Macro magazines.
    IF the slide is home, it is really hard to manipulate the slide with completely full magazine. It’s a piece of cake with the slide locked back though.
    These are the BEST mag loaders available though. I’d suggest purchasing one or two!

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the report. I am not currently carrying my G48 for CCW and I have a BUNCH of SA-15 magazines.
    You bet! I've been carrying my G48 since I got it. Love the size, but always lusted after more capacity. I held out on the Shield mags due to the metal parts, high cost, and some occasional poor reviews.

I like the idea of using the PSA magazines because of the plastic on plastic for the mag catch. The sharp edge of the magazine against any mag catch is concerning. You will not ruin that aluminum mag catch by using either mags. You will ruin a plastic one though if you use the SA-15.
    I've heard the damage goes both ways with SA-15 products. You have to watch using their metal catch with poly OEM mags, AND you have to watch using their metal mags with the poly OEM catch. These PSA mags eliminate all metal-on-poly contact.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    've heard the damage goes both ways with SA-15 products. You have to watch using their metal catch with poly OEM mags, AND you have to watch using their metal mags with the poly OEM catch. These PSA mags eliminate all metal-on-poly contact.
    I have heard that too. I think the moral of the story is that metal on metal is ok and polymer on polymer is ok but if you mix them, the polymer will eventually lose the fight.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have carried a G43X for a couple of years. Happy with Glock mags, but I keep an ear glued to feedback on the Shield mags.

Thanks for the status report, cav. Now, I need you to come in Saturday and work on your TPS formatting.

1704371477693.png

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have carried a G43X for a couple of years. Happy with Glock mags, but I keep an ear glued to feedback on the Shield mags.

Number of people with reliability issues > number of people dead because 11 rounds without a reload didn't fix the problem but 12-16 did.

I stick with OEM everything on Glocks, except optic mounting. "Don't **** with it" eliminates nearly all reliability concerns. YMMV.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Number of people with reliability issues > number of people dead because 11 rounds without a reload didn't fix the problem but 12-16 did.

I stick with OEM everything on Glocks, except optic mounting. "Don't **** with it" eliminates nearly all reliability concerns. YMMV.
    This is exactly why I won't modify a carry gun. I carry Box stock. Period. If I wear out a recoil spring, extractor, magazine, I replace them with factory OEM parts. I honestly believe doing otherwise gives the prosecution something to latch onto in the event I'm ever involved in a SD/PD shooting. Well, that and I don't want to spend the time/money to retest my carry hardware every time I add an after-market part.

That said, I've modified a few 1911s. They were strictly range gear, though. Again, I only carry OEM equipment for reliability and legal reasons.

Top Bottom