• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    I know I am a little late to the 22 game but I have never had one before... Ive had ARs, AKs, and shotguns but no .22s haha. but anyway here she is. I picked it up Tuesday for $250 brand new. It is the Ruger 10/22 Tactical with the 1/2x28 threaded barrel. I bought it to be a suppressor host and a little precision gun. I am new to the .22 game so I am curious on what some good mods will be for it. I was thinking about the Magpul Hunter stock but I don't know. Any feedback is awesome!

Thank you
    Mike

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can go broke modifying a Ruger 10/22. I would suggest first shooting it as it came from the factory. After getting a chance to find it's short comings as you see them, then you can spend time and money upgrading it to your likes.

Most people start with a Volquartsen trigger set. Next would be an accurate barrel, although I know a lot of people who are surprised at how accurate the factory barrel is.

As for stocks, there are a zillion to choose from. You can make yours look like an M1 carbine, an odd Steyr AUG almost look alike, barracuda stocks for great hold in target shooting, Choate and all their variations, etc, etc, etc.

I couldn't just get one, as I had to make one a super light weight using a carbon fiber high tension barrel with a Hogue light weight stock. I have one with a Barracuda stock and accurized trigger. Got silly and took a barreled action and put it in a bullpup stock making it just barely legal per the length rule of the ATF second amendment.

And the funny thing, out of the box the rifle proved to be amazingly accurate given a mediocre trigger feel.

And then there are the scopes to choose from...

Good luck, remember that a 10/22 can either break your bank or your marriage. :D

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Congrats! 10/22s are as addicting as AR-15s.

First mod is auto bolt release;

[video=youtube;uyOV_512fW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOV_512fW4[/video]

Also, check out rimfirecentral.com

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Skip the rest of the aftermarket parts and just go straight to the Kidd parts. You'll thank me later for the performance, but curse me for the hit to your wallet. For any scope work, contact Alan at A&A Optics.

You're welcome.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I put an extended mag release that pulls in the opposite direction in all of mine can't remember but i think they are less than 10-12 bucks... Get a bunch of 25 round mags by ruger and load them before you go to the range; makes it easier to shoot the whole bulk box

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    First change the stock, sell the old one.
    Second change the barrel, sell the old one.
    Third change the trigger group, sell the old one.
    Fourth change the bolt, sell the old one.
    Fifth change the receiver, sell the old one.

You will end up with a Ruger 10/22 with zero Ruger parts just like mine...:D

Hogue Overmolded Stock
    ER Shaw Barrel
    Timney Trigger Group
    Kidd Bolt
    NoDak Spud Receiver

nodak5-1.jpg

it is a disease....

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Good choice. Great choice if you have young shooters learning the skill. I went the Blackhawk Axiom route for the adjustable length of pull. Looks like this:
    policestuff_2415_17676855172

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and awesome ideas! And showing some of your awesome 22s! I have never really gotten into the 22 rifle before until I shot my girlfriends 10/22 and I fell in love with it. I did all my research and I found a 10/22 is whatever you imagine. You can do what ever you want with them and I am really excited! I thought about buying another for the classic look. My question is now, what is the best can to use on this? I am really wanting to get this project up and moving. I shot the crap out of it and I love the gun. Except the trigger. It sucks. Kind of like hitting a brick wall. I don't know I may just be used to the ALG trigger in my AK. But I have my glass and my rings picked out. Is there a better rail than the weaver mount provided with it? I still have a lot of questions about this Haha

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Throw the factory Weaver like rail in the scrap metal pile. Look at the EGW products. They extend beyond the receiver and over the barrel. If you're creating a good cheek weld, you'll need the extra length to get proper eye relief. You'll also need to build up the comb on the factory stock if you add a scope.

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    Throw the factory Weaver like rail in the scrap metal pile. Look at the EGW products. They extend beyond the receiver and over the barrel. If you're creating a good cheek weld, you'll need the extra length to get proper eye relief. You'll also need to build up the comb on the factory stock if you add a scope.

I will take a look! I am not a fan of the factory weaver

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You aren't kidding. Best advice is to just not do anything. This is the worst rabbit hole to go down. Lots of people start with a stock 10/22, and by the end, they've spent $1500 and don't have a single stock component left on the gun.

Here's how I modify to get the best bang for my buck (in order):
    1) Auto bolt release and either a Kidd or some brand of urethane bolt buffer. These are cheap, and are immediately upgraded.
    2) Upgrade Trigger - I REALLY love the Kidd trigger kit, it's $110ish and the best thing before stepping up to one of their drop in kits. If you're going to do anything to your trigger and don't want to spend the cash for a Kidd drop in, this is the one to go for. And don't take my word for it, read the interwebz. They'll agree.
    3) Send bolt and barrel to CPC for the "abbreviated tune up." It's $149 + $16 shipping. They do all of the bolt upgrades (square bolt and pin the firing pin) and they'll get your barrel to shoot 99.9% as well as a Kidd barrel. Their work is the bomb diggidy. If you can justify it, I really like adding on their barrel/receiver threading service. It's $45 and they thread the barrel to the receiver and get rid of the slip fit/v-block. It's what Ruger should have done in the first place.
    4) I normally use wood stocks, so I then pillar bed the front of the receiver with a piece of brass. Then I glass bed the rear of the receiver and first few inches of the barrel with Devcon. Unless you've upgraded to a rear receiver lug and a threaded barrel, I don't completely free float the barrels on 10/22's.

After all of that, you're about $450 into upgrades, and the gun will run with just about any custom out there. This is all the best bang for your buck I've been able to find.

You can go broke modifying a Ruger 10/22. I would suggest first shooting it as it came from the factory. After getting a chance to find it's short comings as you see them, then you can spend time and money upgrading it to your likes.

Most people start with a Volquartsen trigger set. Next would be an accurate barrel, although I know a lot of people who are surprised at how accurate the factory barrel is.

As for stocks, there are a zillion to choose from. You can make yours look like an M1 carbine, an odd Steyr AUG almost look alike, barracuda stocks for great hold in target shooting, Choate and all their variations, etc, etc, etc.

I couldn't just get one, as I had to make one a super light weight using a carbon fiber high tension barrel with a Hogue light weight stock. I have one with a Barracuda stock and accurized trigger. Got silly and took a barreled action and put it in a bullpup stock making it just barely legal per the length rule of the ATF second amendment.

And the funny thing, out of the box the rifle proved to be amazingly accurate given a mediocre trigger feel.

And then there are the scopes to choose from...

Good luck, remember that a 10/22 can either break your bank or your marriage. :D

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    My first suppressor was for my 10/22. I went with HTA's Guardian 22. Mine has the aluminum baffles, and cost around $150. I also swapped out the bolt spring for a lighter one to use with subsonic rounds. It's awesome when sound of the round hitting the target is the loudest sound you hear.

Welcome to the 10/22 club! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom