• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Yea! I received some 9mm cases in the mail today and just couldn't stand it and rushed to the reloading room. Finally, after all the waiting and buying, and buying, and buying, it was time to see how bad I could screw it up.
    nailbite.gif

I carefully read through the ABC's of reloading and Lee reloading manual as a refresher. Then I carefully read through the steps and started setting and adjusting the dies. The sizing went smoothly with no issues. Then I got to the flaring die. Hmm. I followed the instructions to a tee but something was wrong! The case was over flaring very badly and in some instances deforming horribly no matter where I set it. I started over, read some more, reinstalled and I'll be damned, same result. I was dumfounded and didn't know what to do to correct the problem because I was doing everything exactly according the the books, websites, youtube, etc... I was almost ready to give up but I thought that the 3rd time's the charm and I'll try one more time. After I removed the die to start over I checked it over for any problems with the die and ALAS, there was the problem staring me right in the face..................... .45 ACP.
    pat.gif

Go ahead.. I deserve it!!
    flute.gif

BTW, after I discovered and fixed the problem and threw away the mistakes, it was smooth sailing the rest of the evening and in no time at all I popped out my first ever 9mm (dummy round).​

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    lol, I haven't made that mistake, but I have made a few. Just remember, mistakes don't count until you pull the trigger. Before that, you get all the mulligans you want. After that, well... Congrats on the new setup, enjoy!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Congrats on the first round, even if it is a dummy.
    What powder & bullet do you plan to use?

there's lots of good choices for 9mm

Currently I have W-231 and Titegroup for the 9mm and Clays that I'll be using for some .45. Hopefully I can get my hands on some Power Pistol in the future. I have a few hundred Hornady and Speer 115 gr. FMJ. What I do have a shortage of is brass. I have NONE! I did get some new casings ordered from Midway USA so I can practice until I can make some empty casings of my own.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Currently I have W-231 and Titegroup for the 9mm and Clays that I'll be using for some .45. Hopefully I can get my hands on some Power Pistol in the future. I have a few hundred Hornady and Speer 115 gr. FMJ. What I do have a shortage of is brass. I have NONE! I did get some new casings ordered from Midway USA so I can practice until I can make some empty casings of my own.

You might think about buying some 9mm from Freedom Munitions. The prices are pretty low, you would have something you can shoot(as opposed to buying brass), and then you can have the brass to reload. I just bought some for around $0.18/round.

I really like 231 for my 9's.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I might have some brass that I could sell you. How much are you looking for?

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I didn't care for Tite Group in my 9's but it's what I'll be using for 380's. When I get a chance I would like to try W231 but for now my powder of choice is Power Pistol.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Mistakes happen at the reloading bench. The difference between good and bad reloaders is being able to catch it way before it gets in the gun. Sounds like that one was easy to catch haha.

I have a bin full of bad rounds, cases etc. Some are mistakes, and some are just too short from setting up dies.

Welcome to the addiction!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I you have Clays, hold on to it with both hands. it's been out of stock for over a year and is very valuable right now.
    Clays International is just now coming back to the shelves. I heard that Clays may be coming back this spring, but I'll believe it when I see it.
    I've read that Clays is one of the best powders for 45acp. Can't wait to get some to try it.

Titegroup and Win231 are also great. Win231 has been out of stock until recently too.
    Power Pistol is ok, but produces a pretty good fire ball. A lot of people like it for that.

If you need some 9mm, I'll make you a good deal on some. I'll send you a PM or vice versa
    I have lots of 9mm brass

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I buy it from a guy just across the Michigan state line for around $20 a pound. Usually 6-8 at a time.

I have four 8 lb jugs on back order from Grafs. Not sure I will ever get it but back orders not cost anything until they ship.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I got the new Turret press all set up and I think I have everything mounted where I want it on the bench. The 9mm turret is all ready and as soon as I get a second powder measure this week I'll hopefully have my .45 turret up and running as well by the weekend. For now I'll use my RS-5 press as my sizing/depriming station.

DSCN2359.jpg DSCN2362.jpg DSCN2358.jpg DSCN2364.jpg

Last edited:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Hell, I'm having so much fun with all this that I decided I might as well reload .223 while I'm at it. I already had the dies and a spare turret so just a few misc. items to do rifles and I'm all set. That only leaves .308 and I'm covered but not just yet! :)

jglevyjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've found that Power Pistol works great in my 9mm S&P Shield, but not so well in HK-P30 (stovepipes). The short barrel in the S&P makes Power Pistol, a fast burning powder, cycle the action just fine but in the HK, with its longer barrel and action, needs a slower burning powder to keep burning during the entire slide back cycle. I find Longshot works great in the HK. Power Pistol is a more economical powder (less grains), so it makes sense that the more expensive HK wants the more elegant load <grin>.

maverick5990

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Plainfield

Why are you buying new brass from Midway? There is lots of 9mm fired brass available at much better prices. Pistol brass goes a long time. Check Profire Arms and Supply - Home or do a Google search and save yourself some money.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've found that Power Pistol works great in my 9mm S&P Shield, but not so well in HK-P30 (stovepipes). The short barrel in the S&P makes Power Pistol, a fast burning powder, cycle the action just fine but in the HK, with its longer barrel and action, needs a slower burning powder to keep burning during the entire slide back cycle. I find Longshot works great in the HK. Power Pistol is a more economical powder (less grains), so it makes sense that the more expensive HK wants the more elegant load <grin>.

Power Pistol is one of the slower burning powders that is still suitable for 9mm. It takes more Power Pistol per load than it does most other suitable pistol powders.

The odds are very good that the amount of Power Pistol you're loading is not sufficient to operate the action on the H&K, but it's 100% NOT because Power Pistol is fast-burning. If anything, my may need a faster powder for the H&K.

Top Bottom