• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    After researching for months, I took a chance at the CMMG bargain bin and ordered an M4, hearing good things and the thought of saving a few hundred bucks was very appealing. On their website, they state that the upper has a 1:9 twist, it's a flat top, carbine, etc., but also that the lower could be a different brand, DPMS, RRA, DS, CMMG, etc. When I ordered mine, I chose the "hand-picked" option, which supposedly is the best available M4, cosmetically anyways. Well, I placed my order, and just for fun, in the order comments section, I wrote, "Prefer CMMG lower and 1:7 twist if possible." Well, I got neither, but I am satisfied with what I got. I picked it up saturday from Bradis (thanks Jeremy).

Right out of the box:
    IMG_1046.jpg

Here is the only cosmetic defect I could find:
    IMG_1043.jpg

It came with a DoubleStar lower, which is a slightly different finish than the upper, but no biggy. One thing I noticed was there was nothing, I mean nothing stamped on the barrel. It has a keyhole stamp on the upper receiver, F stamped FSB, but thats about it. So, I'm not even sure what the twist is, or if it's chambered for .223 or 5.56. I'm hoping an email to CMMG will get more info. Still not bad for $625 + shipping & transfer. I've heard good things about CMMG's bargain bin, but not too many specifics about defects and such, so I thought this would help out others considering.

Now, the fun part!
    I ordered and received the MI 9-in Free Float quad rail, so I cut off the delta ring, which was a little tricky. I used a hacksaw and dremel, but still ended up having difficulty around the gas tube. My biggest mistake there was wrestling off the weld spring and snap ring instead of cutting them off. Ended up scratching the barrel nut (no biggy) and getting a couple tiny nicks on the receiver. Installing the rail wasn't too bad, but I did have to remove the gas tube to install a rail support right behind the FSB and I wasn't expecting that (very easy though). After that, I replaced the stock and grip (Command Arms & Hogue), added the tactical carry handle (AR Stoner), and was ready to go. I did end up getting an AFG from Cwood yesterday at the open house, so here is what it looks like now.

IMG_1055.jpg

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Nice, congrats! I got in on the last CMMG bargain bin about a year and a half ago, I love the gun. Mine was cosmetically perfect and I couldn't have asked for better performance, even got the CMMG lower :)

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Nice rifle and nice mods. Good job.

I have heard nothing but good things about the CMMG bargain bin sale. They do state "these won't win any beauty contests".

Truthfully, I am more interested in mechanical reliability, than the cosmetic end.

The 18 inch bargain bin government profile AR is advertised with a 1x7 hard chromed barrel and the bargain bin M4 with a 1x9 nitride treated barrel, if that helps.

It is good to hear that you made out alright so far. Good luck.

A range report would be beneficial for all of the recent posters looking for a good AR15 rifle at a decent price.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Nice rifle and nice mods. Good job.

I have heard nothing but good things about the CMMG bargain bin sale. They do state "these won't win any beauty contests".

Truthfully, I am more interested in mechanical reliability, than the cosmetic end.

The 18 inch bargain bin government profile AR is advertised with a 1x7 hard chromed barrel and the bargain bin M4 with a 1x9 nitride treated barrel, if that helps.

It is good to hear that you made out alright so far. Good luck.

A range report would be beneficial for all of the recent posters looking for a good AR15 rifle at a decent price.

Thanks for the post.

Yeah, I almost got the 18" gov profile, but I didn't want the rifle length gas system, still would be great to have though! I'm guessing it's a 1:9, based on the website, but I'll probably measure it to know for sure.

And yes, a range report will be coming shortly. I rattled off a few rounds yesterday, but I need to put it in a vise and get it sited in a little better before doing some real shooting.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Please don't take this wrong....

Have you shot it yet or did you decide to throw money at a gun that has yet to be tested?

I know they have all those neat tacti-cool accessories but I am a firm believer that a weapon should be tested and made to run before adding things.

Just my .02!

It is nice looking!!

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    Please don't take this wrong....

Have you shot it yet or did you decide to throw money at a gun that has yet to be tested?

I know they have all those neat tacti-cool accessories but I am a firm believer that a weapon should be tested and made to run before adding things.

Just my .02!

It is nice looking!!

It was test fired at the factory, and they left the barrel dirty to prove it. Doesn't really matter though, everything I put on can be removed, reused, or sold, except for the delta ring. I'm working on another build, so if I don't like this setup, I can use the "good" stuff on the next one. Maybe I was a little overconfident in the manufacturer, but I have a very specific purpose for this setup, and I want to get as much practice as I can with the weight/balance that I'll be using it with.

langb29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Indy Westside
    that looks great! Let me ask one question, are there benefits to going one way or another in the two different rifles?

Between the 18" rifle length gas system 1:7 twist vs. 16" carbine length gas system 1:9 twist? My personal opinion (much more experienced members here), not much difference for me and my uses, but I wanted the 16" carbine because I wanted to keep the weight low, and it's a more common setup, if I ever wanted to sell it. Benefits of the 18" are slightly better accuracy, 1:7 twist better for heavier grain ammo, and the rifle length gas system is supposedly not as hard on the mechanics as a carbine length if you do a lot of shooting. These didn't add up to anything significant for me, as I'm shooting under 200 yards, under 70 grain, etc.

Top Bottom