39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Data:
    H322 21 gr
    62gr ss109
    win srp
    Mixed range pickup cases
    2.225 oal (that's where the cannelure lies)

I thought I saved the case for pics, but got home and it's not in my range bag.

Case split at the bottom and pierced the primer.

Any pics of how to inspect my firing pin?

Anyone have any experience with this combination? Its hard to find data for these longer bullets.

Going to back it down and work up again, but any info besides standard 62gr info would be great. Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If the firing pin is still smooth and rounded looking through a magnifying glass, it is still good. If it has a divot, a chunk missing, or a tit welded to it from the flame flash, change it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Are there any signs of pressure with any other cases you fired with the same load. I am not around and loading manuals, is that load under max ????
    If firing pin is damaged you would have had issues with other rounds shot.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Are there any signs of pressure with any other cases you fired with the same load. I am not around and loading manuals, is that load under max ????
    If firing pin is damaged you would have had issues with other rounds shot.

From the data I had, It was under max. Max being 21.2. I will admit, data used was from hodgdon, and was for a 62gr sft scir bullet (whatever that is), but NOT a ss109 projectile which most know, is longer than a normal 62gr pill.
    No other pressure signs on the 70 I shot that day.

baba

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sure it wasnt an overcharge? Case longer than usual (forgot to trim?) Relaoded that case more than others? Ah...mixed range pick ups....i wonder if that case had been fired a few times before? I use that type of brass too...always a risk there.

Brian

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Sure it wasnt an overcharge? Case longer than usual (forgot to trim?) Relaoded that case more than others? Ah...mixed range pick ups....i wonder if that case had been fired a few times before? I use that type of brass too...always a risk there.

Brian

Case was trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and swaged on my lyman prep center. I do not know my cases history. It could have been loaded 15 times for all I know. I just recently got into loading bottleneck cartridges and bought them all used or picked them up at my club. I'm using a lee pro auto disc and it drops this charge within .1gr every time so I doubt an overcharge.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    From the data I had, It was under max. Max being 21.2. I will admit, data used was from hodgdon, and was for a 62gr sft scir bullet (whatever that is), but NOT a ss109 projectile which most know, is longer than a normal 62gr pill.
    No other pressure signs on the 70 I shot that day.

OK... I have now seen some data from other loaders and some are loading the same bullet with up to 24 grains of h322.
    That's a good thing of no other signs of pressure.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    62gr sft scir bullet (whatever that is), but NOT a ss109 projectile which most know, is longer than a normal 62gr pill

SFR SCIR is a Swift Scirocco, which at 0.929" is longer than an SS109 projectile at a nominal 0.905". I've not loaded any, but I have M855 which I believe are the same and they've taped around there, albeit inconsistently.

But length isn't the culprit here, it is likely a combination of weak brass and more bearing surface on the subject projectile than the reference. 62 Sciroccos aren't slippery but they are much slipperier than military fodder.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Case was trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and swaged on my lyman prep center. I do not know my cases history. It could have been loaded 15 times for all I know. I just recently got into loading bottleneck cartridges and bought them all used or picked them up at my club. I'm using a lee pro auto disc and it drops this charge within .1gr every time so I doubt an overcharge.

With only popping one case and without knowing the history of you're cases personally I would not sweat what happened. I would maybe spend a few extra minutes inspecting your fired cases before cleaning and again after cleaning and keep on loading. Your load looks reasonable and if you are pleased with how it works in you're rifle... I would keep using it.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Sounds like you just had a bad case. Sometimes a case is bad, but there are no external signs. This will happen occasionally if you reload, but more often if you use range pick up brass.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    A cartridge that has a primer rupture is not the same as catastrophic failure.
    This is just a primer that popped.. You're buddy had catastrophic failure.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I would point the finger at a case that had been fired too many times or previously reloaded improperly before you got hold of it.
    It's for that reason that I avoid "once fired" brass like the plague that it is.
    They can call it "once fired" all they want, but they have no way to verify that, and they have no way to verify whether it had been reloaded by someone who was incompetent by either overcharging it, overworking it through his dies, or otherwise abused it.
    Always invest in new brass or what you've retrieved from new factory loads that you've fired yourself.
    It's just not worth it going the bargain route.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would point the finger at a case that had been fired too many times or previously reloaded improperly before you got hold of it.
    It's for that reason that I avoid "once fired" brass like the plague that it is.
    They can call it "once fired" all they want, but they have no way to verify that, and they have no way to verify whether it had been reloaded by someone who was incompetent by either overcharging it, overworking it through his dies, or otherwise abused it..
    Always invest in new brass or what you've retrieved from new factory loads that you've fired yourself.
    It's just not worth it going the bargain route.

Hummmmm, , I'll be damned. I always thought that mil spec brass that had its primer crimp ring still in place would be once fired brass.
    I never knew brass could have the " plague "...... Is the ' plague ' that sealer looking stuff that has leaked out around the primers on most supposed once fired ammo ?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I have heard/read many stories (check the reloading section of ARFCOM) about Federal brass marked FC 223 having very inconsistent web thicknesses. It has been enough to scare me off from reusing it.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hummmmm, , I'll be damned. I always thought that mil spec brass that had its primer crimp ring still in place would be once fired brass.
    I never knew brass could have the " plague "...... Is the ' plague ' that sealer looking stuff that has leaked out around the primers on most supposed once fired ammo ?

And yet, while you were so happily being a total smartass replying to me, you totally failed to read the OP's comment quoted here:

"Case was trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and swaged on my lyman prep center. I do not know my cases history. It could have been loaded 15 times for all I know. I just recently got into loading bottleneck cartridges and bought them all used or picked them up at my club. I'm using a lee pro auto disc and it drops this charge within .1gr every time so I doubt an overcharge."

Consider yourself corrected, junior.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Why is the reloading section turning into hot dog measuring contest ????

OP, there are some brands of brass that I wont consider reloading or selling. They go in the scrap bucket.

I tend to stick with Lake City, WCC, and R-P. I avoid any cases that have been previously loaded by others.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    And yet, while you were so happily being a total smartass replying to me, you totally failed to read the OP's comment quoted here:

"Case was trimmed, chamfered, deburred, and swaged on my lyman prep center. I do not know my cases history. It could have been loaded 15 times for all I know. I just recently got into loading bottleneck cartridges and bought them all used or picked them up at my club. I'm using a lee pro auto disc and it drops this charge within .1gr every time so I doubt an overcharge."

Consider yourself corrected, junior.

Speaking of a total failure.. You failed to read the thread...I had already responded to the history of the OP's brass on POST # 9 keep up. Movvvvving forward

I was poking holes in your post ( thats why the highlighted PURPLE ) about used brass and not knowing it was once fired even with a crimped primer and or a primer sealant still in place.

Go getya a Snickers Bar and read the thread again.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    As a newbie to reloading .223/5.56, I think I will stick to reloading all of my own once fired factory brass. No range pickups or buying used for me, too much risk.

Top Bottom