My Introduction to Barrel Tuners: Do They Work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Very nice article! I believe the Browning BOSS system also does this very thing on big game rifles. From the Youtube video I watched they provide a list of ammunition that is available from other makers and then provide the rough setting for that ammo.

i had a browning a-bolt 25-06 with the boss system, thats what convinced me to try them on my ar's. i already knew they worked on rimfires.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Outstanding article Dave! Learned something new today! :ingo:

Thanks boss!

This report wouldn't have happened without the generosity of and guidance from Top Hat 45 and IndyGunWorks. They were pivotal from bringing the gear down to reviewing the final draft.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    dave, missyb just read this thread and said you did a great job. she doesnt get on ingo very often and i showed it to her when i came back from vacation.

Tell her "Hello" for me.

I've been busy writing. You might enjoy some of these reports as well:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../330739-how-i-do-load-development-rifles.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ifle-finding-some-good-loads.html#post4752751

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ornady-lnl-press-right-decision-pic-heav.html

Enjoy!

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Not sure how I missed this the first time... Top Hat 45 told me that a report was imminent a while back and I was keeping an eye out.

Great write up (as always). Information like this is why and I love and hate INGO.... Love learning something new, but hate that it makes me want to spend more money...

Top Hat does have some beautiful rifles. I had the pleasure of 'coon fingering' a few of them a while back. They look even better in person.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of Tuner was on the AR?

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    In 1998 I bought Browning A-bolt, 20“ stainless & synthetic stock in 7 mm-08 with a boss with muzzle brake combination. Tried different loads and just settled on best setting for grouping at 100 yds. Ordered a “hunting version” of the boss from Browning without brake to keep muzzle blast to minimum. Gun is very accurate, but I just hate the look of thing and original boss tuner & brake just takes up room in my gun safe. Only deer I harvested with the gun was shot straight down from my tree stand at about 10 feet. I like the gun because it’s light and easy to carry. Good shooting!

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    Not sure how I missed this the first time... Top Hat 45 told me that a report was imminent a while back and I was keeping an eye out.

Great write up (as always). Information like this is why and I love and hate INGO.... Love learning something new, but hate that it makes me want to spend more money...

Top Hat does have some beautiful rifles. I had the pleasure of 'coon fingering' a few of them a while back. They look even better in person.

Maybe I missed it, but what type of Tuner was on the AR?

the ar has a harrel tuner available from .22 Benchrest Supplies - KSS with added weight kit.

i appreciate the flowers about the rifles. i enjoy building them as much as shooting them. its a challenge going for ultimate accuracy to assemble the right components.

daryll

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    On a side note... I just read this for the third time, and it gets better everytime I read it.... Just added it to my favorites on the browser.

I think I'm blushing! :)

I'm glad you approve of it. You and TopHat45 are far more knowledgeable. You just enticed the noob to write the article for you by offering ammo and cool guns to shoot!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I can't help but think Jimi Hendrix would understand this stuff intuitively, but getting a coherent explanation from him might be a challenge. I can appreciate it purely from an engineering perspective, in fact I'm overjoyed at the prospect of playing with it and seeking understanding. It's currently art as much as science, but science will out. That doesn't make it less beautiful, to the right kind of mind. Might want to get some other things out of the way first.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    I can't help but think Jimi Hendrix would understand this stuff intuitively, but getting a coherent explanation from him might be a challenge. I can appreciate it purely from an engineering perspective, in fact I'm overjoyed at the prospect of playing with it and seeking understanding. It's currently art as much as science, but science will out. That doesn't make it less beautiful, to the right kind of mind. Might want to get some other things out of the way first.

i cant imagine how you know much of jimi hendrix as you were only 6 yrs old when he died. but if you are the guru type of his music i appreciate that also.

tuners still are kind of a mystery as to why they do what they do in such small increments. as dave proved, you can have a .001 group at one position and a .007 group with one revolution of the tuner. (3 shot groups)

i will say that almost everyone that has shot my rifles with tuners believes they work. they mostly dont know why, but believe in the accuracy they just shot, rimfire and centerfire. you also referred to science and art in the same sentence, with art being in the eye of the beholder. but i can say with out exception no one has said i built an ugly gun, whether rifle or handgun.

should you desire to delve into the world of tuners, let me know and i'll assist you any way i can.

daryll

Top Bottom