• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn't buy a Sig 1911, but to me that's neither really a Sig or a 1911. If you're talking a 226, 228 etc then I'd say you couldn't go wrong with those pistols.

That's where I'm at. My 1911 is my only non-Sig SA at this point.

There are a few "trouble years" for various models of traditional Sigs. Internal extractor stainless steel P220s comes to mind. Avoid those particular years in those models and odds are strong you'll get a good one.

My current stable:

P220 - no issues
    P226 - front sight fiber optic fell out. I bought this used and like a dummy didn't swap out the recoil spring. It was past time. The extra battering probably caused the FO rod to come out. Sig fixed it on their dime.
    P229 - no issues. Old enough the night sights are burnt out
    P229 SAS - Trigger is a little gritty compared to my other Sigs, but no issues
    P245 - no issues

smspears592

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will admit it. I am a Sig fan. But like an earlier post, I don't limit my "Fandomness" to just one brand. I have owned 6 Sig's so far. I never had a function issue, but I did see more wear than I would have expected for such an expensive firearm. I have a 26 year old P7 that still doesn't show any wear. I do shot it on a semi regular basis and carried it for 8 years. When it comes to 1911's, I have only had a Para Ordinance. That was a nice shooting weapon. But I just don't have enough experience to talk about 1911's, so I will probably never purchase one, Sig or not.

Ryno

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Shelbyville, IN
    I have an old P220, P226, & a Sig 1911 Tac ops. They've all been great. The P220 has thousands of rounds through it. I hate you've had trouble. I've been lucky and mine have been awesome.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I'm a Sig armorer, and there was nothing more disconcerting than learning what stamped metal junk resides in the frame of the pistols. One would think they could develop a decent DA initial trigger pull on their DA/SA guns, especially after the DAK development. I'm really not a fan, nor have I been for a long time. A lot of agencies carry the 229, which is a bit small as a "duty" weapon, and a bit large for an "off duty" weapon. It is neither fish nor fowl. Cracked frames, other issues lead one to believe that Sig is just wanting to move large numbers, and not produce a "quality" weapon which a life or so may depend on. I certainly hope I am wrong, but Sig should not have the problems that they do. Sometimes, getting technical help is a nightmare. Just saying.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I'm a Sig armorer, and there was nothing more disconcerting than learning what stamped metal junk resides in the frame of the pistols. One would think they could develop a decent DA initial trigger pull on their DA/SA guns, especially after the DAK development. I'm really not a fan, nor have I been for a long time. A lot of agencies carry the 229, which is a bit small as a "duty" weapon, and a bit large for an "off duty" weapon. It is neither fish nor fowl. Cracked frames, other issues lead one to believe that Sig is just wanting to move large numbers, and not produce a "quality" weapon which a life or so may depend on. I certainly hope I am wrong, but Sig should not have the problems that they do. Sometimes, getting technical help is a nightmare. Just saying.

Thing is, I haven't heard of any problems with their modular guns (P250, P320) since they fixed the P250 after the first-gen issues. I like the classics, but I'm a bigger fan of the modulars--and I generally don't like polymer handguns.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    My issue with SIG is why the hell did I buy Glocks for 5 years and just now got my first SIG! The quality is amazing. The slide, smoothness, controls, ergonomics, E2 grip is amazing, similar to HK grip, trigger rested is amazing!

LARGrizzly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Dayton
    Just out of curiosity did he try getting some other quality mags to see if that took care of the problem. If I was carrying it and the mags didn't feed right I would get rid of them and but wilson or ed brown mags. If it still didn't feed I wouldn't carry it at all.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Being left handed kills my desire for most of Sig's offerings. I haven't messed with their 1911s but I have shot a 226 and 229 and they were fine but not my cup of tea even if they were ergo friendly for lefties.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    In the last big Army trial when the Beretta was chosen to be their official service pistol, by most accounts the Sig P226 outperformed all others. The Beretta was chosen because of the economics (cheaper). As the OP pointed out in the 1911 thread, unless someone has put tens of thousands of rounds through several different Sigs, as they did in the Army tests, you really don't have a valid opinion.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Being left handed kills my desire for most of Sig's offerings. I haven't messed with their 1911s but I have shot a 226 and 229 and they were fine but not my cup of tea even if they were ergo friendly for lefties.

Interesting, I'm also a lefty. I have carried a 226 or a 228 for 30 -+ years and I have never felt that being left handed with a P series pistol was a negative.
    Using only my left hand I can drop the mag, hit the slide release ofndrop the hammer. I always figured the designer was a lefty himself.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm assuming you're using your trigger finger to do all of that which is a no go for me personally. I don't like having to adjust my grip on my strong hand to do any sort of manipulation which, for me, is required to run either of those.

Interesting, I'm also a lefty. I have carried a 226 or a 228 for 30 -+ years and I have never felt that being left handed with a P series pistol was a negative.
    Using only my left hand I can drop the mag, hit the slide release ofndrop the hammer. I always figured the designer was a lefty himself.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm assuming you're using your trigger finger to do all of that which is a no go for me personally. I don't like having to adjust my grip on my strong hand to do any sort of manipulation which, for me, is required to run either of those.

I use my thumb when changing mags.
    What auto pistol works for you in that you don't have to adjust your grip when using different controls on the pistol when using one hand ?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know if I'd dismiss an entire manufacturer's line due to a single broken mag base plate. If the guy was doing a lot of mag change practice with dropping the mag onto concrete, it would be only natural to expect a broken base plate eventually. That's why we inspect our guns regularly. Good practice can be hard on equipment and sometimes the equipment will break.

I'm not a huge Sig fanboy, but I do own 1 of their full size 1911s. I had a Scorpion a while back that got traded for a Remington Rand too. The only issue I've had with either was that when new, the Scorpion did not lock the slide back on the last round, with factory mags. Other than that, they both rand and the Railed Nickel has not had a single issue. It's my nightstand gun and I trust it to function when I need it to.

While Sig 1911s may not be the best 1911 on the market, they do come well set up for a decent price. For around $900, you get a pistol that has an extended thumb safety, extended slide release, beaver tail grip safety with speed bump, night sights, mag well beveling, front strap checkering and steel MSH. The mag issues highlighted above don't bother me a bit. The only factory mags I carry with are the ones that came with the Dan Wesson CCO. Everything else gets carried with a Wilson Combat mag of some sort. I use factory mags for range work where I can drop them on concrete or gravel and not worry about damage to a carry mag. I shoot with carry mags to check function, but I don't abuse them. That's what the factory mags are for and the mag issues noted above are most likely the result of a lot of mag change practice.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    My XDS 4.0 works well. If one handed I can hit the mag release with my thumb, slide stop with my trigger finger without any grip movements. I used to run a 1911 and it was the same except the slide lock was a lot easier to manipulate one handed.

Like I said, for me personally I'm not a Sig fan. If it was just a range toy then I wouldn't mind one but they really don't do anything for me.

I use my thumb when changing mags.
    What auto pistol works for you in that you don't have to adjust your grip when using different controls on the pistol when using one hand ?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I really want a Sig 226, but I don't know why? I just don't know what niche the Sig would fill in my gunsafe? I see them as heavy, relatively expensive, and potentially prone to issues from everything I have heard. Aesthetically they look good, but my steel framed 9mm spot is filled by a CZ and when it comes to a reliable 9mm for home/self defense, I'd choose an HK or a Glock over the Sig. I remember being really impressed with the idea of the 357 sig round back in the 90s, so I think that is part of it. If I bought a handgun in 357 sig now though, It'd be a Glock.

Top Bottom