• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Damn I'm jealous of all of you. I can't wear contacts and glasses don't get me anywhere close to where I need to be. I tried getting lasik, had everything ready to go. Right before they started they said I needed one more test... My corneas were too thin.

It's at the point now where I have the wife read most signs and when I got my driver license I had to 'cheat' a bit. But, I'm not legally blind so I'm sol.

SIGguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    I really appreciate this thread I have been considering and contemplating lasik for years now but was unsure and there got frustrated from being un sure and said to hell with it but now after reading this I have reconsidered and have now started researching it some more......thanks

ItIsWhatItIs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I'm glad to see the positive comments here. I'm getting PKR on Thursday. Was already stoked and now I am even more excited. I've been told PKR is best for me, due to the dangerous nature of my job and the possibility of getting hit. Apparently LASIK has potential to backfire in that a blow to the head or eye can cause the cornea to tear where the laser cut the eye previously.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I'm glad to see the positive comments here. I'm getting PKR on Thursday. Was already stoked and now I am even more excited. I've been told PKR is best for me, due to the dangerous nature of my job and the possibility of getting hit. Apparently LASIK has potential to backfire in that a blow to the head or eye can cause the cornea to tear where the laser cut the eye previously.

My surgeon chose PRK for me for the same reason, I get hit in the head a lot. FWIW, the scary stories about PRK were just that. It was no big deal, and my results are great.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I can't wear contacts and glasses don't get me anywhere close to where I need to be.

There is the Toric ICL which will likely fix your problem, or Keratacs. However, both of these implants are still under review by FDA.

Maybe you have check into surgery overseas?

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    This is not medical advice, but I have family who are eye docs, and if you have anything besides a simple prescription and NO other eye health issues, I would think VERY carefully before getting LASIK. Things can and do happen.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for posting this. I'm considering this surgery. Any updates in the last 5 months?

You're very welcome.

I had the procedure done back in March, so I'm about 10 months in. My 'new' vision has maintained quite well and I have no issues to report. All my old habits (like constantly adjusting my glasses) are gone and I feel like I've always been glasses-free.

This weekend I participated in a force-on-force training class and I was reminded of how awesome it is to put on the protective headgear without having to contend with prescription glasses. It's bad enough that I was having to deal with people trying to shoot me without having to also deal with my glasses falling down or becoming fogged. Also made me think 'What if my glasses were ever knocked off in the middle of a gunfight?'

I'm very happy with my decision and would recommend the surgery to others.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I paid to get my wife's done at 20/20 Institute across from the Fashion mall about 3 years ago in Indy. I think it was roughly $3500 for both with lifetime "touch ups" if needed rather than 1 year correction if needed, which was somewhere around $300 more I believe. She was probably like 20/200 prior to surgery if I had to guess as her vision was awful prior and came and has been 20/20 or 20/15 ever since. Best money we've ever spent medically.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This will be the first year that we fund the HSA above our max out of pocket limit.

A year from now, maybe even 6 months, I will have enough scratch to get my eyes fixed. Can't wait!

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Gotta reply

I have always wanted to have lasik and so in December I took advantage of a free screening locally. Long story short, I was not a candidate due to early cataracts. However, 10 days ago I had my right cataract removed and a multifocal lens implanted, along with the astigmatism correction. In 5 days, the other eye is scheduled. Went from 20/200 to 20/20 in right eye (left is just as bad). The vision these past 10 days has been challenging, what with the vision so different in my eyes. I am managing well, but my eyes get very tired and achy.

I do appreciate no longer wearing glasses or contacts.:rockwoot:

I said all of this to say, LOOK WHAT YOU GOT ME IN TO!! I envied all of your good stories and results.

My experience has been good so far, but these lenses do NOT come cheap. I decided to go for the cadillac of lenses that provide correction for both close and distant vision. Thousands of dollars. OUCH!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have always wanted to have lasik and so in December I took advantage of a free screening locally. Long story short, I was not a candidate due to early cataracts. However, 10 days ago I had my right cataract removed and a multifocal lens implanted, along with the astigmatism correction. In 5 days, the other eye is scheduled. Went from 20/200 to 20/20 in right eye (left is just as bad). The vision these past 10 days has been challenging, what with the vision so different in my eyes. I am managing well, but my eyes get very tired and achy.

I do appreciate no longer wearing glasses or contacts.:rockwoot:

I said all of this to say, LOOK WHAT YOU GOT ME IN TO!! I envied all of your good stories and results.

My experience has been good so far, but these lenses do NOT come cheap. I decided to go for the cadillac of lenses that provide correction for both close and distant vision. Thousands of dollars. OUCH!

How many thousands? I may be in the same boat.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    How many thousands? I may be in the same boat.

$2500 per eye for the lens and $1000 each for the fancy LenSx laser. It is very interesting. This customizes the procedure for your eye. A very detailed, high resolution 'map' is created of your eye. The procedure is computer guided, like robotic surgery you may have heard of. Insurance covers the surgery but not the lens.

Last edited:

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I am now three days post left eye surgery. 20/20 vision is awesome!:rockwoot:

I have good vision in all fields, but near vision is not yet perfect( hopefully it will be eventually). I can expect improvement could occur for up to six months.

If I experience no further improvement, I can see well with no vision correction. I cannot explain how that feels after 42 years of glasses/contacts.

Top Bottom