• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Called me yesterday in a panic. She lives in one of the pricey multi-story row house condos on the near North East side. She is divorced, lives alone and has a good job at IU

She has had it with bums, drunks and homeless people. Over the weekend someone took a dump on her deck and another person wanted in at 3 am while knocking at her front door. She has had her car keyed and and has been "watched" too many times at night coming and going. It is only a matter of time before she feels someone will break in.

She has had it and asked me what gun she should get.

I said it depends, but I told her a Glock 19 or a Glock 43 would be perfect for her. I told her she can try both of mine out when she has time. She was happy to hear that and I said I would even go with her to to purchase one.

I have had several others who live in Bloomington say things are getting worse downtown.

She sounds like she is not anti-gun anymore.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    It is funny how the view changes when people are thrown into these situations of reality from their fantasy life. Looking from the outside in it is always easy to distance yourself. This has been hard for me to get through my teenage girls head, but ole' dad is making a little headway. Hopefully Bloomington will move more to growing a brain.

I grew up in Bloomington in the 70's and it was pretty liberal. Now when I go back I can't believe how much more to the left it has shifted. My parents are in a condo on the north side and I have been concerned about them for a while. Being in their 80's I don't believe they could hold there own anymore. Glad to hear your friend is coming around, but it is unfortunate that she has too.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    That *is* good news.

Having said that, OP, if I were you, I would take her to a reputable shop and have her try out several and let her decide which is most comfortable.

One of the biggest mistakes, we as knowledgeable, make, is assuming what could or could not work for the uninitiated. That usually ends up with the latter ending up with the weapon we always use/want and unfortunately, a weapon that often gets ignored because it wasn't right for them.

Just some food for thought for anyone who is helping others be introduced to firearms.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Without training on how to use it safely, none.

With training, she should try firing several to see what works for her.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I was going to have her shoot a .22 and them move up to a .380 and 9mm. There is a new outdoor range in Spencer I was going to tell her about.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    Honestly, it sounds like fun.

Sure does!

I've got a minimum of three new people to introduce to firearms this month alone. I can't wait to take them to the range and then get them into a good training program.

I've found that immediate family members make the worst instructors, unless you are teaching your children :)

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Tell her to call the cops...if they break in before the cops show up, tell her to pee and vomit on the intruders. This will make them run away.

Personally, I'd start her on the 9mm and either go up or go down depending how she responds to it.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I was going to have her shoot a .22 and them move up to a .380 and 9mm. There is a new outdoor range in Spencer I was going to tell her about.

I have no affiliation with Precision Gun Range ( will be buying a membership hopefully soon) but they are having the NRA basic pistol class near the end of this month and have Well armed woman meetings there. The owners/staff are awesome people.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    That is good news,
    always like to hear of someone (especially an anti) becoming interested in firearms.

Training from someone she doesn't know may be a good idea, I tried to teach my wife to ski, very bad idea.

Side note,
    I love to wear my bright orange NRA "Got Guns" tshirt when I go to Bloomington Sams, etc.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with the quick in and out of the new I69 crime in Bloomington will keep getting worse......that is good of you to help your friend Longbow......

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It is funny how the view changes when people are thrown into these situations of reality from their fantasy life. Looking from the outside in it is always easy to distance yourself. This has been hard for me to get through my teenage girls head, but ole' dad is making a little headway. Hopefully Bloomington will move more to growing a brain.

I grew up in Bloomington in the 70's and it was pretty liberal. Now when I go back I can't believe how much more to the left it has shifted. My parents are in a condo on the north side and I have been concerned about them for a while. Being in their 80's I don't believe they could hold there own anymore. Glad to hear your friend is coming around, but it is unfortunate that she has too.

I have seen this several times also...

I am happy however to hear this though longbow. I would much rather have gun owning professors than anti gun professors influencing kids as they get "educated."

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    As others mentioned, you suggestion of the G19 is certainly viable, but it would definitely be best to have her try several, seeing how she likes how it feels, how easy it is to operate, and how she deals with the controls (safety, takedown lever, slide stop, etc.).
    Also, don't have her shy away from a decent revolver if she finds one of those to her liking.
    Glad to hear this bit of good news, even if it's because of threatening behavior around her.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I thought the rule was that if a female friend asks to learn about guns you hand her a firearm that she cannot possibly handle, and your record her shooting it for youtube

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    with the quick in and out of the new I69 crime in Bloomington will keep getting worse......that is good of you to help your friend Longbow......

It certainly won't help but Bloomington has not been the "charming, midwestern, college town" the guys down at city hall try to imagine it is for awhile. Sounds like they've succeeded in attracting the demographic they've encouraged. I moved out in 2004 and have never regretted it.

I'm glad Longbow's friend has "come around" and wish her the best. Good job Longbow.

Top Bottom