• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My grandfather left me this when he passed on, he was a WWII vet from the European theater.

He brought back this and several other things.

One mag is aluminum on the end and the other is wood. Neither serials on the mags match the gun, but all the serials ON the gun itself match.

Just thought I would share it, I don't think I will shoot it. These things have a million serialized parts that give me nightmares. So I just rub it with a silicone cloth once in a while and keep it in a dry place.

IMG00226.jpg

IMG00232.jpg
    IMG00233.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am sure it's safe, just that I am worried about 90 year old serialized parts breaking on it. I have another pistol he brought back I will fire. I will show it later.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nice Luger! I've got the Standard Catalog of Luger here in front of me if you'd like to know more about your Erfurt. Your holster looks to be in nice shape too.

I've got a 1937 Mauser, early finish Luger. I can understand not wanting to fire it. I have to admit that it finally broke me down and I had to shoot mine, so I put two mags through it with no issues at all. Shooting it was a pretty cool experience.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My father in law went through something similiar he had a pistol from WW1 I believe it was a Mauser chambered in 32 he shot 25 rounds through it cleaned it and put it away

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the comments, I was shown it various times as a kid and it does remind me of him. The holster does surprise me, it's exceedingly supple for such old leather.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    I am sure it's safe, just that I am worried about 90 year old serialized parts breaking on it. I have another pistol he brought back I will fire. I will show it later.
    I look forward to seeing those pics! PM me with the thread incase i miss it! i understand the thought of something breaking, But that particular gun Personally i would have to fire at least one mag, unless i had another one similar. But i am a hand gun nut!!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Congrats on your cool legacy gun! I have a Luger my dad brought back from the ETO and know how much the old pistols bring forth the memories.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Good looking Luger. I have a 1917, but mine is not in the condition that yours is in, it is a numbers matching gun, but it has some pitting. I took mine out in the back yard and fired a magazine full through it. They're a lot of fun to shoot, but I understand why you would be reluctant to fire yours. Keep it, enjoy it, and I hope it always brings back good memories of Grandpa.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    What a beautiful piece...and on your Grandfather's behalf, please accept my gratitude for his service.

BigD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Indy Geist Area
    My father visited Germany in the early 50s and brought back a luger that I eventually inherited. We used to shoot it together and I still do. Great guns.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Very nice. Check the holster for any stamps on the back or markings. I have a book here in the shop on ww2 military holsters and if you give me the "code" markings I should be able to tell you who made the holster.

Oh, and also thank you for not starting the thread "My grandpa took this off of a dead German officer," like so many of these threads start. I am not saying it didn't happen but geez louise SOME German officers just surrendered their arms didn't they?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom