• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    For home stuff like that a IFAK is perfect IMHO and I have 3 in the house for that very reason. I use one gallon double thick plastic bags and they fit everything perfectly. When needed you just dump the bag and grab what you need.

My wife cut her hand trying to catch falling glass, had the bleeding stopped and it bandaged up in sub 2 minutes from waking up and hearing her scream (was napping at the time, actually came out with a 1911 in my hand as I thought someone broke in based on the scream and being disoriented from waking up).

Once I realized what was going on , tossed the pistol on the beg, grabbed my IFAK next to my nightstand and went to work.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Last night my daughter got a cut on her leg. It was more than a scratch and less than requires stitches, which is where the butterfly bandages come into play. I dumped a big tote of all kinds of medical stuff on my ping pong table last night covering half of it spread out and sure enough, I didn't have any and had to run to the store.
    Several lessons here:
    1.) Have butterfly bandages
    2.) Have everything organized in such a way that when looking with urgency it's easy to find.
    3.) I need to inventory all my medical and get it squared away.
    Do any of you have something clever figured out on how to store your medical supplies?
    I did a poor job on the butterfly bandages so I'll be looking up videos on how to do a better job next time.
    I was a Certified Athletic Trainer (aka, in field of Sports Medicine) and treated many cuts that needed steri-strips vs sutures,
    as well as a volunteer EMT for 26 years...spending the last several years as a Certified ATC at the collegiate level.
    I learned organization was key to a quicker response, especially when dealing with cuts / bleeds on the sideline sporting events.
    I tend to use tupperware containers for much of my soft tissue supplies...gauze bandages, bandaids [of all shapes and sizes], and clear fishing lure boxes for things like steri-strips, etc., and old 35mm film containers for things like nose bleed plugs, insect bite/sting numbing swabs, etc. Another, cheaper, methods for organization is good zip-lok bags...they do the same thing for a lot less $$!
    Just a quick note regarding cuts or lacerations that require steri-strips, use ice for 15 minutes prior to applying a steri-strip, it'll help reduce swelling and allow the epidermis layer of the skin to close together better and not protrude upward and out, closing together better and resulting in a much smaller scar.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    Back in my college days, early 80's, I took a a medical course that was some kind of precursor to becoming an EMT. One of the requirements was putting together an emergency medical kit. We used a simple 3-tier tackle box that allowed for storage of large items as well as being able to neatly organize smaller items. I carried mine for probably 20+ years after taking that course, not sure whatever eventually happened to it.

Amazon product ASIN B01N1KES72
    Came here to suggest this^ growing up in a family of doctors, I just thought tackle boxes full of med supplies was commonplace. Lol

BigNyaKelly

Coffee Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2023
    Worcester
    I find Medical supplies are the MOST important prep because it's the kind that comes up even if nothing exceedingly crazy happens. I keep a couple first aid kits in my car, in my classroom, in my bedroom, in the pantry, etc. You never know when someone will gush blood, or need ibuprofen, need disinfectant, etc, etc.

Top Bottom