• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I just picked up a new model Blackhawk in .44spl today. It is the 4.62 inch barrel. From what I have read this was a really popular gun back in the day and Ruger discontinued it and just recently brought it back into production.

I plan on getting some hotter loads from Buffalo Bore and take this into the tree stand with me.

IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Nice gun.

Might want to double check hunting regs. For some reason I thought you could not hunt deer with a .44 special, case length too short. Someone will be along shortly to correct or confirm this.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Nice gun.

Might want to double check hunting regs. For some reason I thought you could not hunt deer with a .44 special, case length too short. Someone will be along shortly to correct or confirm this.

44 Special is one of several calibers specifically mentioned as legal! 38 Special is not. The 38 is just right below the min OAL

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Nice! congratulations on the new gun! What are the differences between the Magnum and the Special? I was once told the mag would shoot the special and the special was a lighter load? Just curious.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The .44 Special uses a shorter case and less powder than the .44 Magnum. You can shoot the .44 Special from a .44 Mag but not the other way around. Usually 44 Special ammo cost more, I guess because they don't make that much of it. The famous Dirty Harry tells the rogue traffic cops in Magnum Force that "I use light 44 Special loads" in his 44 Magnum. I always chuckle that everybody plays up his 44 Mag but he says he's using Special loads. Anyway.... Nice gun. I have a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine, 45 Colt/45ACP, 38-40/10mm and just traded for a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. I like the Ruger single action guns. :yesway:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The .44 Special uses a shorter case and less powder than the .44 Magnum. You can shoot the .44 Special from a .44 Mag but not the other way around. Usually 44 Special ammo cost more, I guess because they don't make that much of it. The famous Dirty Harry tells the rogue traffic cops in Magnum Force that "I use light 44 Special loads" in his 44 Magnum. I always chuckle that everybody plays up his 44 Mag but he says he's using Special loads. Anyway.... Nice gun. I have a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine, 45 Colt/45ACP, 38-40/10mm and just traded for a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. I like the Ruger single action guns. :yesway:

Thanks for the info. I have the Blackhawk 357 mag. It was my first revolver. I though a single action revolver would be fun. I was right! I bought a Super Redhawk in a 44 magnum. I got a little crazy and scoped it. What a hell of a fun gun to shoot too! I shoot them both when ever I can. Doubt I will ever part with either!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A 357 Mag SA is a pretty versatile gun. You can shoot everything from light 38 wad cutters all the way up to full power 357s. Great plinking, trail or all around fun guns.

Top Bottom