• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I've wanted a 22 Magnum for a few years. I decided I was ready for another AR project after seeing prices on the levers and bolt actions I was interested in.

I started with an Anderson lower, added a PSA lower parts kit and a PSA match-grade drop in trigger assembly. I ordered a BCA 22 magnum side charging upper, and mounted a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 scope I had on-hand in a Monstrum 1-piece mount.

20230121_173039.jpg

I swabbed the barrel prior to shooting, expecting maybe some packing grease. Instead, a ton of metal shavings came out - the shavings in the picture, and about the same amount that came out the breach end. I guess I thought they'd at least clean it up and give it a once-over before sending it out, but apparently not.

20230121_154211~2.jpg

Regardless, I was pretty pleased at first. After cleaning it up, I thought the finish was good and it was an overall attractive design. I had two types of ammunition to try through it, as pictured below.

20230121_172349_HDR.jpg

I put 100 rounds through it. The 4th cycle, the spent case was not extracted and the next round jammed up against it. I cleared that, and no more problems cycling. I zeroed the scope at 50 yards, and was getting pretty good accuracy with both rounds, probably slightly better with the CCI.

20230121_174519.jpg

After the first 50 or so rounds, I began having no-fires - very light marks on the case from the firing pin. I had 1 CCI fail to fire, and several Remington rounds. I cleaned it again afterwards, and got a bunch more metal shavings out.

I'm hoping the chamber was just getting gummed up with shavings and preventing the rounds from being fully seated and the bolt from 100% closing. In that case, the round might move forward a tad when the pin strikes it. I did later read several product reviews with similar issues concerning light-strikes, with a stronger hammer spring being a recommended fix. If it does the same thing next time I shoot it, I'll swap it onto another lower or 2 to see if that changes anything.

Anyway, for the total investment, I'm still pretty happy with it. Fun to shoot and accurate. Just gotta figure out how to make it go bang every time.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have been thinking about one of these, but I think I want one in .22 LR to start with. I have a rifle I built up that I used their 5.56 upper on, so I want a .22LR, .410 and .350L upper for it. Sort of a package deal that will handle any job I need it to do,

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    There is a reason that the .22 WMR was created in the late 60s and nobody made an auto until after the turn of the century. They are VERY finicky rounds and incredibly hard to make an auto cycle reliably.

Now there were 3 or 4 models through the years. An AMT automag, a 10/22 and a few others. but they all were dropped quickly due to reliability issues. Heck the PMR30 has to specify specific ammo and it still doesnt always go bang.

So good luck. You'll need it.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    There is a reason that the .22 WMR was created in the late 60s and nobody made an auto until after the turn of the century. They are VERY finicky rounds and incredibly hard to make an auto cycle reliably.

Now there were 3 or 4 models through the years. An AMT automag, a 10/22 and a few others. but they all were dropped quickly due to reliability issues. Heck the PMR30 has to specify specific ammo and it still doesnt always go bang.

So good luck. You'll need it.
    I did not know this. I was thinking of buying the upper, but since I already have a 223/556 I didn't see the urgent need.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I did not know this. I was thinking of buying the upper, but since I already have a 223/556 I didn't see the urgent need.
    Ive been in love with that cartridge since I was a teen. I remember standing behind the gun counter at Dunhams looking through that big Gun Bible they used to print and seeing the ONLY auto WMR wishing I could afford it. ($800 in the late 80s was a LOT of money for a young guy) I learned later why I couldnt find one when I could finally afford one 10+ years later.

Even though everybody has started loving on the new 17HMR that was supposed to make it obsolete, I still prefer it. And as soon as Savage makes the 93A again, I'm buying one. (their lines are busy making other guns right now according to them)

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I put 30 more rounds through it today. Had 1 fail to fire, maybe 20 rounds in. Again, hopefully just from knocking more metal shavings loose from the rifling and gumming up the chamber, but I don't know.

I guess I need to really go at it with a bore brush, so far I've just been using a bore mop after shooting.

So about 130 rounds in, haven't had any cycling issues, at least when the round actually goes off.

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    I have been thinking about one of these, but I think I want one in .22 LR to start with. I have a rifle I built up that I used their 5.56 upper on, so I want a .22LR, .410 and .350L upper for it. Sort of a package deal that will handle any job I need it to do,
    I have a an MP 15-22 I really like, never had a hint of trouble out of it. Not a real AR but ergonomically very similar.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Some issues of firing out a battery (semi chambered round firing) was the end of the 10-22 mag rifles From ruger.

most likely not needing to be said here but I shall say it anyway. Shooting glasses need to be used.

i would be hesitant about the stronger hammer spring being a fix if soft strikes on a fully closed bolt are not the main issue. Does not sound like a hammer spring issue to me. Sounds like the old 22 mag does not easily work in auto rifle issue. More the shape of the cartridge than the failure of the spring to ignite the primer rim.

2 cents given. with inflation take it for what is is worth.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I've wanted a 22 Magnum for a few years. I decided I was ready for another AR project after seeing prices on the levers and bolt actions I was interested in.

I started with an Anderson lower, added a PSA lower parts kit and a PSA match-grade drop in trigger assembly. I ordered a BCA 22 magnum side charging upper, and mounted a Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 scope I had on-hand in a Monstrum 1-piece mount.

View attachment 250524

I swabbed the barrel prior to shooting, expecting maybe some packing grease. Instead, a ton of metal shavings came out - the shavings in the picture, and about the same amount that came out the breach end. I guess I thought they'd at least clean it up and give it a once-over before sending it out, but apparently not.

View attachment 250525

Regardless, I was pretty pleased at first. After cleaning it up, I thought the finish was good and it was an overall attractive design. I had two types of ammunition to try through it, as pictured below.

View attachment 250526

I put 100 rounds through it. The 4th cycle, the spent case was not extracted and the next round jammed up against it. I cleared that, and no more problems cycling. I zeroed the scope at 50 yards, and was getting pretty good accuracy with both rounds, probably slightly better with the CCI.

View attachment 250528

After the first 50 or so rounds, I began having no-fires - very light marks on the case from the firing pin. I had 1 CCI fail to fire, and several Remington rounds. I cleaned it again afterwards, and got a bunch more metal shavings out.

I'm hoping the chamber was just getting gummed up with shavings and preventing the rounds from being fully seated and the bolt from 100% closing. In that case, the round might move forward a tad when the pin strikes it. I did later read several product reviews with similar issues concerning light-strikes, with a stronger hammer spring being a recommended fix. If it does the same thing next time I shoot it, I'll swap it onto another lower or 2 to see if that changes anything.

Anyway, for the total investment, I'm still pretty happy with it. Fun to shoot and accurate. Just gotta figure out how to make it go bang every time.
    Rimfires typically need a more energetic firing pin strike than centerfires a spring swap might help.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

View attachment 250524

View attachment 250525

View attachment 250526

View attachment 250528

I cannot believe the amount of shavings that came out of that barrel!!! Glad you cleaned it before firing!

Kalashboi794

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2023
    Lafayette, IN

View attachment 250524

View attachment 250525

View attachment 250526

View attachment 250528

Do you like the trigger? Trying to find a trigger that's better than milspec but that won't cost me my left kidney. Been in the market for a flat face trigger but can't justify a geiselle (I think thats how its spelled)

L C H

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2022
    Bedford
    No way did BCA test fire that upper before sending it out.
    No question.
    Do you like the trigger? Trying to find a trigger that's better than milspec but that won't cost me my left kidney. Been in the market for a flat face trigger but can't justify a geiselle (I think thats how its spelled)
    I do like it. I also have a Timney and a Rise Armament, I think this one feels just as good.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Larue was my go to trigger

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm not familiar with this particular gun but I assume it is blowback operated. I have two 10/22 magnums that run and shoot very well. Guess they haven't heard all the rumors passed around by guys who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy. The only issue with them is the probability of ignition residue buildup in the chamber. One of mine is converted to .17 HMR (rumors in high gear) and is much more susceptible to this due to the bottleneck cartridge. I pull a boresnake through it every 50 rds or so. Ruger came very close to putting a 10/17 HMR on the market before they "fixed" the 10/22M. The fix killed the gun and they blamed it on ammo.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm not familiar with this particular gun but I assume it is blowback operated. I have two 10/22 magnums that run and shoot very well. Guess they haven't heard all the rumors passed around by guys who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy. The only issue with them is the probability of ignition residue buildup in the chamber. One of mine is converted to .17 HMR (rumors in high gear) and is much more susceptible to this due to the bottleneck cartridge. I pull a boresnake through it every 50 rds or so. Ruger came very close to putting a 10/17 HMR on the market before they "fixed" the 10/22M. The fix killed the gun and they blamed it on ammo.

As a big 22 WMR fan, I've been lucky with the auto-loaders. At least five brands that I can think of right now. It does help to keep them relatively clean.

Magnum Research, like your 10/22 Mag.

CZ 512

H&R 700

Marlin 922M

Keltech PMR-30

I can't say they've all ran perfect, but good enough for me to keep them because the fun factor is off the charts!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

View attachment 250524

View attachment 250525

View attachment 250526

View attachment 250528

I'd take advantage of their warranty.
    If you do let us know how they do.

Top Bottom