• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I will be buying my second handgun within the next few days.
    I currently have a Springfield XD. 40 which I use as my carry and home defense weapon.

I will be buying another handgun so I can have one dedicated to be my edc, and the other to be my dedicated home defense weapon.
    I wanted my next purchase to be in the same caliber to make things more simple when buying ammo, and also the same feeling when firing both guns.
    I recently started considering 9mm because of the increased capacity.

I am interested to hear what you have to say should I. Stick with. 40 or should I invest in a 9mm.
    Thanks!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Having everything in the same caliber is not always a good thing.

As evidenced by the most recent ammo shortage...

Completely agree with this ^^^. I have both 9mm and .40 for exactly this reason. If there is another shortage (or maybe I should say WHEN there is another shortage), I won't be terribly affected, because my eggs won't all be in the same basket.

Unless you are really dedicated to stocking up, diversity isn't a bad thing.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Going with another caliber has it's pros & cons.
    On one hand, having all your guns the same caliber makes buying ammo easier (when it's available - like now)
    On the other hand, having one that's a different caliber makes finding ammo easier for one or the other when times are tough.
    However, when times are tough, they are usually tough for all the popular calibers, so more likely than not, you'd wind up with 2 guns you can't feed.

I would suggest buying the same caliber you have now and stocking up on ammo for it while times are good and ammo prices are fairly back to normal.
    When I say stocking up, I don't mean 3-4 extra boxes of 50, I mean 3-4 cases of 1000 or more.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    OK, you're trying to decide between either a .40 or a 9mm.

That depends, do you want the ability to immediately eliminate any threat..........or just annoy the threat? :):\

I'm kidding. My first self-defense pistol was a .38 special. When I got a semi-auto, I chose a 9mm, partly because it was (at that time) the most commonly available round. My next pistol will probably be a .357, so I'll add the .357 cal, but also will have another pistol that can shoot .38s too.

Yellowshoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well, I had the same strugle when I first got into guns...
    When I first started I told myself "I only need ONE gun" hence I was only dealing with one caliber (9mm) as my collection expended and the number of gun grew bigger and bigger, it comes to a point where it is inevitable to not add new caliber! (I couldnt find a good 9mm 1911)
    As a general rule of thumb, it is a plus to acquire a gun takes the same bullets that you already own... but whats the fun in that?! I would go crazy and start experimenting! what if you find yourself to LOVE the 9mm over the .40? For people that consults, frequent and contribute to forums I find hard to beleive that you will stop at 2 guns =)
    Since you only have 1 gun in .40 it's not to late to swap over to 9mm or just to expend your horizon!
    You mentioned HD... For home defense you no longer face the conceal size constriction! Instead of 9mm, what about .45? you see my point? just go brad a new toy that fits both your hand and budget, I wouldnt worry so much about the caliber =)

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Personally, when I buy my second handgun(especially if for HD), I will buy the same model I use for EDC. Same control, same feel so if, Jello forbid, you have to use your weapon in a SD situation, you have a ready backup. After the second one, I will start branching out. Of course I am a huge fan of uniformity.

Just my :twocents:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I like having options. At the first hint of an ammo shortage, 9mm will quickly disappear off shelves while .40 will still be available a little ways into the shortage. When 9mm is gone, take that opportunity to deepen your .40 supply a bit and you will possibly be able to ride the shortage out without too big an impact to your practice routine. In the mean time, 9mm is a great practice round and is pretty nice to plink with. It can even be used for SD if needed.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I like having options. At the first hint of an ammo shortage, 9mm will quickly disappear off shelves while .40 will still be available a little ways into the shortage. When 9mm is gone, take that opportunity to deepen your .40 supply a bit and you will possibly be able to ride the shortage out without too big an impact to your practice routine. In the mean time, 9mm is a great practice round and is pretty nice to plink with. It can even be used for SD if needed.

I will 2nd this sentiment. At the height of the ammo shortage I never had any trouble finding .40 S&W even when the shelves were cleared of all 9mm. .45 ACP was also readily found at least when I was looking. Of course now the secret is out... Oops, I should'a kept my mouth shut!

I know there are many strong opinions on either side of the 9mm/.40 S&W and even .45 ACP question. But there is no right round for every situation just as there is no perfect gun for every scenario. If you like your .40, then get another one for home defense. If you want to try something different, or if at home someone else might be called upon to use it, then consider that. A 9mm may, in general, be easier for a less skilled shooter to use than a .40.

I like to have a larger handgun available for home-defense use so I have a Glock 21. It's big and easy to operate which is a plus considering I might be called upon to reach for it in the middle of the night. Something to consider as well.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Reload. Then there is no "shortage I have to work around." You always have it on hand. If you run out, make more. And it is WAY cheaper than factory. Reloading supplies are getting easier to obtain - stock up now!

Since two is one and one is none, having at least two of the same caliber and using the same mags (or even the exact same brand and model) simplifies repairs, parts and ammo/mag interchangeability.

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    Wow, so many replies in such a short period. Thanks for all the info!
    I have been eyeing the M&P. 40 because I heard you can turn it into a 9mm by simply buying a barrel and clip. Any thoughts on that idea? Thanks again everyone!

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I can't recommend a .40 because I don't own one. And I'm not sure I ever will. But there is a lot to be said for stocking up on ammo. Buy a box or 2 (or 3) every time you're in Walmart. Or every payday. Or every time you can afford it. If you can't afford it, forego eating out one night and buy a couple boxes.

If you think you might want to switch to 9mm, do it now before you have a lot invested in the .40. You can always sell the XD and buy its 9mm equivalent.

habitatguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2014
    Martinsville
    Have you thought about a different barrel length in the same family of pistols. Say a compact 3" bbl for carry and a 4-5" length for home security. Typically magazines will interchange as well as holsters and some other accessories. It can keep overall investment down. This is what I have done in the Kimber line of pistols, a 3" Ultra Carry and a 5" Custom Covert.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom