• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    44mag for the exact reason you said...ammo is everywhere and cheap compared to the other options. Roll your own ammo, and save some serious money. I load my target loads for about .15 cents (not counting brass). 33 cents if you want to count new starline brass.

I love my marlin 1894 in 44. It wears a 3 to 9x40 scope.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I have a Ruger 77/44 with a 2-7x 33mm Leopold scope and love it for all of the reasons others have mentioned about their 77/357. I like that this gun is LIGHT and capable, really easy to keep on target when standing, not at all barrel heavy. Also, I grew up on bolt actions and that's always been my preference over breach or lever actions. Find what's right for you and your preference. The upside of breach and lever actions is that they're ambi for anyone who might want to use your gun as a lefty.

With respect to accuracy, I'll add that the 77/44 gun prefers Hornady LeverRevolution 225gr ammo when comparing groupings to other heavier rounds.

Mike

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    H&R Handi rifles are not being made anymore so if that is the route you take better get looking for one now in .44 mag. That is what I use and like it a lot. Very accurate and light.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    H&R Handi rifles are not being made anymore so if that is the route you take better get looking for one now in .44 mag. That is what I use and like it a lot. Very accurate and light.

CVA still makes one like the H&R.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Get yourself a 44mag revolver and call it a day. Rifles are a crutch, lol j/k. But nothing better that taking a deer with a revolver.
    However, if you want to stick with a rifle and choose a 44mag, I highly recommend the Henry BigBoy 44mag. Hands down my favorite gun I own.

If you ever get into handloading you can get amazing results from 44mag. My Henry with irons with shoot a 3" group @ 100yards off sandbags and the SBH will shoot 1.5" groups at 50yards with irons just off a front bag.

xfY7VHZ.jpg

yeymtXA.jpg

Last edited:

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The best sights I've found for the Henry are the Skinner Black and Gold Ghost ring sights... definitely makes a difference on speed and accuracy.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    For those of you saying the 77/.357....why .357 over .44 mag?
    The .44 mag is good also. I chose the .357 version because you can practice and shoot for fun on the cheap using .38 special in the rifle (.38 special is less expensive than .44 special). That's why I chose the .357 version but you can't go wrong with the .44 as long as you are willing to pay slightly more for ammo.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I agree. I took a deer this year with my Ruger 77 / .357 using 158 grain Jacketed Soft Point Flat Nose by Federal. I have been thinking of getting into reloading. What type of reloads do you use in your Ruger 77/ .357?
    I use Barnes XPB 140 grain on top of H110 , using a load from Speer reloading book listed for rifle / strong action only..

I use .357 over 44 because A) I already had .357 , B) price... For whitetail I see no difference in the two calibers.. Shot placement is the key with both, this year I had a friend hunting my land also & he had a 44 , and he lost one doe because it got away and we never found it.. it left a big amount of blood right where he hit it, but the trail dwindled away after 20 yards or so..
    Vs my 357 that put 2 down for good this year..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I have a Ruger 77/44 with a 2-7x 33mm Leopold scope and love it for all of the reasons others have mentioned about their 77/357. ...... The upside of breach and lever actions is that they're ambi for anyone who might want to use your gun as a lefty.
    Mike

I have the same set up, with the Leopold flip up covers.. Great gun in foul weather.. & I really think Ruger would make a bunch of $$ if the offered the 77/357 in left hand actions..

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've been very happy with my .30-06 Winchester Model 70 over the last few years. Handles the corn fields as well as the woods of Brown County.

Just kidding.

Maybe....

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've been very happy with my .30-06 Winchester Model 70 over the last few years. Handles the corn fields as well as the woods of Brown County.

Just kidding.

Maybe....

heh
    Sadly, we probably never will be allowed to hunt deer with a "normal" rifle, and it will be because of fellow deer hunters supporting the status quo.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I just tell everyone I'm hunting squirrels, foxes, coyotes, crows, and rabbits. I've accidentally hit a few deer while shooting at rabbits, however.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I am contemplating a rule bender for my next rifle. A .308 Sig 716 pistol with rifle length upper and a sig brace . The 16-18 inch barrel which should alleviate any NFA concerns. I dont think there is any DNR rule about a handgun maximum barrel length and with longer barrel there should be no problem with nfa rules so i can shoot the thing from the shoulder.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Atf would have problems with that setup if barrel was Nfa length. thats why it will keep rifle length barrel. 16 inches keeps it out out nfa territory and DNR has no rule....yet on a sig brace and dnr has no maximum barrel length on rifle caliber handguns.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Ruger 77 owners: Do you find that the scope sits too close to the bolt lever for a comfortable reload?

I've never had a problem at all reloading my own Ruger M77 .30-06, and it wears a Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8-36mm scope mounted as low as I can put it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom