My nice and tight AR15 handguards now have an unsightly gap in the center.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    When I first built my AR15 the handguards were nice and tight i.e. no gaps anywhere the handguards touched.

Now, the handguards fit nice and tight against each other on the ends but in the middle there is a slight gap that runs about 75% of the length of the handguards.

Can you tell me what is wrong. Have I somehow caused the handguards to get warped so that they won't fit tight against each other when installed?

louielouie

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've seen this on a lot of AR handguards, both the full size rifle handguards, carbine handguards and the M4 handguards. It's pretty normal.

My guess would be that the spring on the delta ring is pretty strong, and that constant end-on pressure on the handguards warps them a bit, causing them to separate at the middle. I don't know if heat exacerbates the problem, but most handguards aren't perfectly tight the whole way.

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    I've seen this on a lot of AR handguards, both the full size rifle handguards, carbine handguards and the M4 handguards. It's pretty normal.

My guess would be that the spring on the delta ring is pretty strong, and that constant end-on pressure on the handguards warps them a bit, causing them to separate at the middle. I don't know if heat exacerbates the problem, but most handguards aren't perfectly tight the whole way.

I really wish I could fix it because it really distracts from the "nice lines" on the 20 inch barreled assembly.

louielouie

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Personal solution:

1. Take the rifle to the range.
    2. Shoot it from the ground, no shooting mat.
    3. Lay rifle in grass, or preferably mud if available.
    4. Wipe down with rag and toss it in the trunk for trip home.
    5. Clean with CLP and boresnake.
    6. Do this every week for 6 months. Variations can include classes with Shay, or ACT, or Appleseeds.
    7. By the end of the 6 months you will no longer notice the handguards or "nice lines".

All that will consume you is "nice groups".

Seriously, this will work!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Personal solution:

6. Do this every week for 6 months. Variations can include classes with Shay, or ACT, or Appleseeds.
    7. By the end of the 6 months you will no longer notice the handguards or "nice lines".

:yesway::yesway:

louielouie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Columbus, IN.
    Personal solution:

Sorry, but I have develped an attitude toward my firearms over my 63 years and that is "they are only as good as you keep them".
    I might be able to do what you suggest with a CZ52 that I only paid $99 for, but my AR-15 is the highest priced firearm I own and I just want it to look "sharp". :rockwoot:

Just the way I am,

louielouie :patriot:

p.s. I think the appleseed movement is on target.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I agree with the aping pressure idea. That was the first thing I thought of. I can't offer any help to fix your handguards but you can find slightly used sets pretty cheap. Lots of people put the railed or free float handguards on and try to sell off the original parts to help with the cost. I've got two sets of mid length handguards you could have but they wouldn't do much good.

Top Bottom