• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't think they guy is a member here, otherwise he would have posted about it.

The other night I was on-duty, about 11pm or so. I see a 4-wheeler being driven down a city street. Not a side street or back alley, but one of the main thoroughfares on my district that has a lot of semi traffic. I thought it was a moped at first, but when I got closer to it I realized it was an ATV. I actually passed the guy and he turned off the main street, so I turned around and stopped him on the side street. He didn't try to flee on the ATV so that was a big positive start to the interaction in my book. I decided before I got out of the car that I wouldn't have to go all JBT on him. Before I get out and approach him, I see that he is OC'ing a full size Glock on his right side. He keeps his hands on the handlebars and doesn't try to get off the ATV, two more big plusses for him. JBT mode still dormant. I asked him if he had his LTCH with him, as well as his ID. He says both are in his wallet and stands up and tells me I can get his wallet from his back pocket. I told him as long as he didn't touch his gun while we were dealing with each other there would be no problems. I got his wallet and glanced at his LTCH just to make sure it hadn't expired. I didn't even get his name. Glanced at his ID as well and confirmed that he lived nearby. He said he was driving the ATV from his house to his parents' house to store it. We talked briefly about riding ATVs on public streets and then I let him go. No DL or warrant check, just a "have a good night."

Overall I felt it was a positive encounter for the both of us. He was cooperative and didn't do or say anything to wake the JBT mode. I didn't have to disarm him and point his own gun at him, run the serial # on his Glock, or handcuff him. If only every stop I made was that easy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    O.k., O.k., that's the official story, now tell us how you ground his face under your boot, body cavity searched him, rodney kinged him, body cavity searched him, shot his dog, spoke bad about his mother. . . . . . . . . .:rofl:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You stopped an open carrier in Indianapolis?

So, he had a full size Glock AND a cup of coffee?

You neglected to mention both elements in your report and thus this office cannot proceed with prosecution until evidence of coffee is described.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    First it sounds like he did everything possible to make it easier on the both of you. +1 to him for doing the things that made the encounter go as smoothly as possible. +1 to you for doing the exact same and not overreacting to the entire situation. Whether or not his story was 100% true about why he was riding it on the street, I don't know, but thanks (from another ATV enthusiast) for being understanding here as well. Had he been ripping up and down the street for hours upon hours, then I would have understood possible consequences. Just riding it over to his parents wouldn't warrant further actions in my opinion.

sur+rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Warrick, IN
    Excellent! That is exactly how it should go; citizen shows respect to police officer and police officer shows respect to citizen.

A few years back at a political forum a sheriff candidate said he wanted to improve the tone of the interaction between the public and his force. I asked him, how he planned on doing that. He responded that "The best way to get the public to respect the police is to make sure that all the officers are respectable and respectful. And that is my number one objective."

You, sir, are that type of LEO!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Sounds like a positive experience.
    I do have a question though. A few years ago I was riding legally on a county road with my permit and I was OC'ing. The LEO pulled me over to check me and explained I was was unlawful to carry on a ATV. I explained that I had my permit and he said it was no good on a ATV. I was later told that they changed this and now it is ok. Anyone confim this. Here is what the IDNR Regulation book currently says:
    Operating Your ORV Legally
    IC-14-16-1-23

Carry Hunting Equipment Safely means you may not operate an ORV:
    • When carrying a bow with an arrow nocked
    • While transporting a firearm on or in the ORV unless the firearm is:
      • Unloaded and ...
      • Securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Excellent! That is exactly how it should go; citizen shows respect to police officer and police officer shows respect to citizen.

A few years back at a political forum a sheriff candidate said he wanted to improve the tone of the interaction between the public and his force. I asked him, how he planned on doing that. He responded that "The best way to get the public to respect the police is to make sure that all the officers are respectable and respectful. And that is my number one objective."

Not mine.

Nothing respectful about it. He was caught dead to rights TOTALLY DISRESPECTING THE LAW. Just because he was contrite AFTER HE WAS CAUGHT is no big deal. He was breaking several laws and armed while he was doing it. He was just praying he'd get a pass on it THIS TIME. What? He didn't know where his own mother lived when he bought the thing?

Ask his neighbors or all the people on the street where he's riding an unlicensed vehicle at 11:00 at night what they think about listening to that or how many times he had to make that trip "to his parents house" that day or week.

Call up the local golf course and see what they thing about guys riding ATV's over "to their parents house" on the public streets and roads in the middle of the night.
    Altering the course [log in]

Give him a ticket.

Last edited:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government

Did he think to offer the LEO a donut??? I always have a couple right next to my Glock.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Sounds like a positive experience.
    I do have a question though. A few years ago I was riding legally on a county road with my permit and I was OC'ing. The LEO pulled me over to check me and explained I was was unlawful to carry on a ATV. I explained that I had my permit and he said it was no good on a ATV. I was later told that they changed this and now it is ok. Anyone confim this. Here is what the IDNR Regulation book currently says:
    Operating Your ORV Legally
    IC-14-16-1-23

Carry Hunting Equipment Safely means you may not operate an ORV:
    • When carrying a bow with an arrow nocked
    • While transporting a firearm on or in the ORV unless the firearm is:
      • Unloaded and ...
      • Securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger-housing mechanism.

:popcorn:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    +1 for you and the 4-wheeler guy. It was that easy because he allowed it to be that easy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I do have a question though. A few years ago I was riding legally on a county road with my permit and I was OC'ing. The LEO pulled me over to check me and explained I was was unlawful to carry on a ATV. I explained that I had my permit and he said it was no good on a ATV. I was later told that they changed this and now it is ok. Anyone confim this.

Yes it has been changed. It's legal to carry a handgun loaded with a LTCH.

IC 14-16-1-23
    Restrictions on operation
    (9) While transporting on or in the vehicle a firearm unless the firearm is:
    (A) unloaded; and
    (B) securely encased or equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism.
    (14) An individual shall not operate a vehicle while a bow is present in or on the vehicle if the nock of an arrow is in position on the string of the bow.
    (b) Subsection (a)(9) does not apply to a person who is carrying a handgun if the person:
    (1) has been issued an unlimited handgun license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2; or
    (2) is not required to possess a license to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2-2.

Indiana Code 14-16-1

Top Bottom