• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I got my RRA 458 socom upper and put it on my DMPS lower. Took it to the range with my son a few days ago while it's sunny. Fired at water bottles, milk jar, Vitamin Water bottles...etc. It was fun. When I hit the milk jar, it exploded into a cloud of mist 15 ft high. Even the guys down the range was surprised by the power of the 458 socom at 50 yards. Now, too bad I didn't record it because I had to rush to pickup my son from school. Next time, I would freeze the bottles to see what happen when hitting ice...could be fun.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I want one so bad just don't have the funds. Where are you getting ammo i heard its hard to find?? and they use regular gi 223 mags right.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I reloaded mine with the cases I had. The downside is the ammo cost, way too expensive so reload is my only option. You just change the buffer spring to a stronger one, then put the 458 socom upper on it. The standard 30 rd 223 mag would hold 10 rounds of the 458. Right now I only have 60 rounds to shoot next time. 40 are reloads, and 20 are ouch!. $65 for 20 rounds.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Well, it's on sales now at RRA for $702. Not sure if the sales is still on tho. Still a big chunk of money. But if you could afford, it's really fun to shoot. My 10 yrs old son fired 5 rounds and then he said it hurts his shoulder.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    458 SOCOM, wow

I didn't know the 458 SOCOM was available yet. I am on a waiting list with three different dealers.

I plan on casting my bullets to make it affordable to shoot. Reloading reduces cost significantly but not enough to my liking, so I plan to cast the 405 gr. bullets if I ever get one.

Terry

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    The prices of the ammo made me consider shooting it once or twice a month. I still have others to have fun with. Reload only bring down the cost to maybe half. Primers cost, powder costs, bullets cost, cases cost...etc. Since I already had the reloading press. It's only make sense to reload. Even just the bullets, it still cost a little over $1 each.

wind50cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Kentucky
    Terry,
    Watch using lead bullets in that gun. It is gas operated. The lead in the gas system usually causes problems. Midway has bulk jacketed bullets that are getting very good reviews and are reasonable in cost.
    wind50cal

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Shooting frozen milk jugs, or two letter bottles is always more fun then shooting paper. Another thing that's fun, is to buy some cheap soda. Let it get really hot. Want to talk about a nice explosion. Just make sure you are far enough back, unless you want to get sticky.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Haven't try the frozen milk jar, too big to put inside our little freezer. But have a frozen 2 L bottle frozen tho. Haven't shot it yet, holiday season, have been busy. Will try it this weekend if I am up to it. But would like to zero my Nikon Laser IRT to 100 yards with my M&P15T first. Right now I have reloaded 66 rounds of 458 socom. I think that is enough for that round.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I met a guy at the range the last time I was there and a guy had one of these. It was pretty cool but unless you reload it doesn't really make sense. If a person deer hunted it would be a pretty cool upper to have.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I didn't know the 458 SOCOM was available yet. I am on a waiting list with three different dealers.

One of our members here on INGO just got in a shipment of them. $705 each if I recall correctly.

Look up 'fireball168' here in the member list and send him a PM. He has them in stock and is a GREAT GUY to deal with, he's a site supporter and an advertiser here on INGO.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Vincennes
    My .458 socom

Im thinking about putting one together for deer hunting. You got any pics?

dj102 here is my .458 I will be hunting with in Knox County this year.

The scope mount is from Rock River and the scope is a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x. I am using handloads of the Barnes 300 Gr TTSX.

picture.php

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    dj102 here is my .458 I will be hunting with in Knox County this year.

The scope mount is from Rock River and the scope is a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x. I am using handloads of the Barnes 300 Gr TTSX.

picture.php

That is very similar to my 458 Socom configuration. Mine has a Hogue rubberized free float tube. I may be changing out my buttstock for a fixed stock. I also chose a low magnification scope, mine is currently sporting a 1-4x Millett 'dot in donut' DMS-1 on an Americn Defense mount. I'm also waiting for a new Hogue rubber over-molded pistol grip to arrive, should be here in the next day or two.
    14-1.jpg

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I got a call

One of the dealers with whom I was on their waiting list called last week to tell me that the 458 SOCOM uppers were in. I am in the process of saving up the money for my son's next semester at Purdue right now so I have to decline. Some day later, maybe.

Terry

Top Bottom