• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I posted awhile back that I wanted to see pictures of other peoples home ranges. I wanted some idea of what measures other people took to ensure that they were firing in a safe and responsible manner. Thanks for the posts they helped me to get a picture of what I wanted and where to put it.

I have been working on my range since labor day weekend, and I now have it cleared to 100yrds. Once finished, I will have up to 220yds.

The berms are only 7' tall at this point, as that is as high as my tractor would let me pile it. They are about 12' wide at the base, and 4' wide at the top. I will build them higher when they get a bit of rain on them.

My kids and I also built a shooting bench in preparation for the black rifles that seem to be calling my name, and the possibility of an Obamanation seem to be making resistance to that call just that much more difficult. The only thing that scares me more than that possibility is my wife's reaction when I bring one home.

The kids and I have already enjoyed shooting up to 25yds with the pistols, and they really had a great time firing the Mossberg 500 12 gauge we just picked up. They are getting very good about following safe range procedures without me constantly reminding them.

Sure is nice to be able to go out and safely empty a few magazines for relaxation. Although, I think the .22 pistol is going to get a lot more use than any of the others. (When I'm not using it to shoot, the goats have a good time climbing around on it. It looks like I won't have to worry about mowing the berms as they will probably keep it eaten down as good as they do the pasture.)

I'll post a few pictures later on, once I find a place to host them.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Try Tinypic.com or photobucket.com

Congrats on the range :ar15: You might want to invite someone over who has an AR-15 to introduce your wife to it and let her see it's just a regular gun before you buy one. If you're close by, I'd be happy to let you use mine if you don't know anyone closer. :)

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Here are a few cell phone pics...
    0902081645.jpg
    Above photo is from the side of the back berm. (My dad and I built the barn in the background a few years ago. That is why I am so hacked that someone shot a hole through the back window, and out through the front of the barn. Probably someone with a scope that thought it would be funny. The butt holes!!!)

Next is from 30 yards back.
    0902081645a.jpg

Behind the range is over a 1/4 mile of wooded area, and nothing beyond that for another 1/2 mile. No houses for 1-3/4 miles.

My wife is a bit concerned with my newfound obsession. However, one day soon I am having a friend over to shoot his "mean looking" stuff. She is a bit nervous about that. She doesn't want to be out there when we are, but she said she'd fix us lunch.
    main.php
    main.php

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    man it sucks living in a city...:rolleyes:

looks nice:yesway:
    You ain't kidding!

I'm hoping when I finally find a place to settle down, I can get enough acreage for a 50-yard by 50-yard bay with a lane cleared back to 100 yards. Doesn't look like it'll happen anytime soon, land is still going for somewhere around $10k/acre down here in some places.:noway:

Last edited:

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I do have it good. My wife is great, cooks good, and if she hadn't had an idiot in her past that scared her with guns---she always thought he might use them on her--she would be gung ho to participate in shooting as well. She may come around in time. As if that wasn't close enough to perfect, I even mentioned to her that I wanted to get an AR-15, just because that is what I carried in the Army and she didn't say no!!!! I've been saving, so I just might be in the market soon. Looks like I will be spending a lot more time in the long gun forum.

I agree that living in the city does suck. I was raised in the country, and the biggest thing that bugged me about barracks life in the Army was being that close to people. Then when my wife and I were first married, we lived in town for a few years before we were able to buy the farm. I hated it every single day. Now we have 80 acres that have been in her family for over 110 years now. My kids are the 5th generation to live on it, and now that I have a range, it is just about perfect. A nice pond would make it perfect, but it's pretty close to heaven now.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That is wonderful, 80 acres is plenty of land to stretch out on! My dream is that when we buy our 'forever house' it will be on enough land that I can shoot and not have to worry about neighbors. We just bought our house a couple of years ago and while I like it, it's not out in the middle of 10 or 20 acres! At leat Iv'e got fields behind our back yard, so no nosey neighbors in that direction.

Congrats on moving out in the stcicks! It's got to be great. Not sure where you are, but I've got an AR kit on the way and also have some 'scary looking; shotguns and an M14 if you want to show your wife how much fun they really are.

Doug K

Top Bottom