• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckyd46032

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I have a M&P 40 Pro Series and I absolutely love it. It is a real tack driver.

Here's my problem: The pistol does not hve any type of safety. No grip safety, no lever safety of any kind. This weapon will only fire in single action. It will also fire without the mag. The only way to carry this weapon is with an empty chamber. If the slide moves only 1/4 of an inch to the rear the weapon is cocked.

Does anyone know if a safety can be added to this weapon. I really like to carry cocked and locked but cannot with this weapon.

Thanks a bunch!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    :scratch:

I carry mine with one in the chamber. Just get a good quality holster and keep your finger off the trigger. Good gun handling is good gun handling, it doesn't depend on whether the gun has a safety or not.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

Here's my problem: The pistol does not hve any type of safety. No grip safety, no lever safety of any kind. This weapon will only fire in single action. It will also fire without the mag. The only way to carry this weapon is with an empty chamber. If the slide moves only 1/4 of an inch to the rear the weapon is cocked.

Does anyone know if a safety can be added to this weapon. I really like to carry cocked and locked but cannot with this weapon.

Thanks a bunch!

First of all, it does have safeties. The hinged part of the trigger keeps the trigger from being pulled without direct pressure, also, the striker channel is blocked by a steel plunger until the trigger is pulled. I carry a M&P9 Pro Series all day every day with one in the chamber without shooting anyone.

Even if you insist on carrying an unloaded gun, it takes much more slide movement to chamber a round than to "cock" the pistol.

With a good holster an M&P with no external safeties or mag disconnect is still as safe or safer than any loaded gun out there.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I'm a fan of a positive manual safety. That being said, if you get a quality holster as these guys have suggested and keep your finger away from the trigger it is safe.

Shoot your gun some more and get comfortable with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As mentioned your gun is safe to carry. Just invest in a quality belt and holster. Then if you are still unsure just carry the gun around without a cartridge in the chamber for a couple days. Once you figure out the trigger won't pull itself your fears are gone and you can move forward.

Glocks do not have a safety and I carry one loaded all the time. I also have an M&P and would carry it the same way.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    How about the biggest safety you can have for firearms? That should be the one between your ears, you will be fine carrying with one in the chamber.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Thanks a bunch!

I don't believe you can add one. They do, however, make a model of the M&P with the thumb safety.

I have the same gripe about my 9mm Pro. And that is one of he reasons I don't carry it. I do use it at home. And for practice.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    As others have said, your M&P already has built in safeties such as the trigger safety and striker blocker. The latter requires that the trigger be pressed to allow the striker to be released to be able to hit the primer... So if you're worried about the striker somehow slipping off of the sear and firing a round while it is holstered, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if that did happen, the striker blocker would stop the striker from contacting the primer.

Having said that, if you do still want an M&P with an external thumb safety or mag disconnect, they certainly make those flavors,and you may be able to trade someone who is on the opposite side of the spectrum who bought one with all the safeties and decided they weren't necessary.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Owning a firearm that you are not comfortable with is a big deal, rather than start modifying it I would rather get what suits me to begin with. Do a lot of research and ask a lot of question before you make a selection and then take a gun safety class, we can try to help you as much as we can.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Fwiw, I was informed by an S&W tech that you can indeed have the safety added to a non equipped M&P..

You would need to remove the plug in the frame where the thumb safety or internal safety would be and install a sear block designed for the safety as well as the actual lever. I'm not sure Smith will sell you just these parts, but you could try.

Safety on left, no safety on right:
    The one on the right does have the stupid mag disconnect (silver lever)

Searhousingblocks1.jpg

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson

Thanks a bunch!
    Here's the safest way to carry :yesway: Makes sense to me.
    http://youtu.be/8pU2IOTEZlU

Top Bottom