• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't want to buy a cheap piece of crap, but I don't want to break the bank. What's a good but reasonable balisong?

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Remember, with few exceptions, you get what you pay for; especially when it comes to knives (fixed blade or folding).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    When I was a kid (about 10 or so) I begged my dad to buy me the Benchmade Balisong in the display window at the men's toy shop in Nashville. I wanted it so bad. What I didn't want was a scar on my thigh the exact size of a Benchmade 42's blade that is probably about half an inch deep or deeper. Deep enough the knife stood up on its own while stuck in my leg.

Not saying don't get your kid the blade, all I'm saying is maybe start him with a trainer.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I was a kid (about 10 or so) I begged my dad to buy me the Benchmade Balisong in the display window at the men's toy shop in Nashville. I wanted it so bad. What I didn't want was a scar on my thigh the exact size of a Benchmade 42's blade that is probably about half an inch deep or deeper. Deep enough the knife stood up on its own while stuck in my leg.

Not saying don't get your kid the blade, all I'm saying is maybe start him with a trainer.

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Like you, I've learned that lesson the hard way, and have the scars to serve as a reminder.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

That's exactly what I was thinking too. Like you, I've learned that lesson the hard way, and have the scars to serve as a reminder.

Even the decent trainers are expensive.

Don't bother with the cheap ones on Amazon, they're absolute trash. They don't have the feel of an actual bali at all... and are very poorly made.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Even the decent trainers are expensive.

Don't bother with the cheap ones on Amazon, they're absolute trash. They don't have the feel of an actual bali at all... and are very poorly made.

Yep

Benchmade 62T Balisong Knife Trainer Stainless Steel Butterfly (Red Dull) - Blade HQ

This one should do nicely until he is ready for a live blade. If he ever decided he wanted a live blade after playing with the trianer. Honestly Balisongs are not very practical for much more than flipping. If all he wants is to learn how to flip the trianer is all he will ever need. Not saying they aren't cool I still have mine. I don't try airials anymore but it's still fun to flip.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Sometimes when I think I want one, I see the prices of a decent one, and then it makes me wanna try one of the fake benchmade clones you see on youtube and whatnot.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Sometimes when I think I want one, I see the prices of a decent one, and then it makes me wanna try one of the fake benchmade clones you see on youtube and whatnot.

Please don't buy knife clones of any brand, ever, period.

Cheap clones/copies/fakes are stolen designs taking the money out of honest, hardworking folks' pockets.

A clone isn't going to be a decent knife, the price difference is reflective of the quality of materials and workmanship in the final product. The genuine article will have a warranty and a resale value should you decide to sell it later, the clone will have nothing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Cheap clones/copies/fakes are stolen designs taking the money out of honest, hardworking folks' pockets.

A clone isn't going to be a decent knife, the price difference is reflective of the quality of materials and workmanship in the final product. The genuine article will have a warranty and a resale value should you decide to sell it later, the clone will have nothing.

In most cases, I could agree with this, but Benchmade has made this very difficult.

They made the best Bali ever with the BM42. Then, inexplicably, stopped making it. So now the value has shot up 350%.

Their other balis don't compare to the 42, causing other companies to do what they can to recreate it and fill that void.

I've never seen a market with so many clones to choose from with this knife... to the point where they get reviewed as seriously as the original.

They created demand, not supply.

Last edited:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Absolutely spot on!

I'm out of rep or you would have received some.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ^^^^^^^^
    :rolleyes:

Horse Crap!

I can't believe I didn't think of it this way. You've truly shown me the light with your eloquent and thorough rebuttal.

I got him.
    BTW, didn't we have this discussion a while back right here on INGO ?
    The same people will be arguing how it's a victimless crime shortly I'm sure:horse:

Bob

I'll repeat, I own the knife in-question. What are the potential buyers supposed to do when a company doesn't supply (or re-release) an item that set the standard in it's genre? People want to buy it, but Benchmade won't make it. The BM51, 62, etc... all pale in comparison to the 42. It has a following. I see weekly threads in the Balisong subreddit of people willing to shell out $450-550 for the damn thing.

Third-party companies have sprung up to create custom titanium scales and addons for other Benchmade knives to try and replicate what the 42 brought to the table. The weight of the handles, the spring in the release...

If you ask a company to continue providing the amazing product they introduced... and they don't... it's up to the free-market to step in and fill that void.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't want to buy a cheap piece of crap, but I don't want to break the bank. What's a good but reasonable balisong?

How old is your son?

Will this be a toy or a using knife or both?

If he's an adult and it's going to be a using knife, then you should bite the bullet and get a Benchmade (or a midtech or custom). He's going to be disappointed by anything else.

You should also get a trainer to match it.

If it's going to be a toy, or your son is younger, I'd get a trainer and then if he doesn't lose interest over time, the real knife.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    He's 14. I want something that is relatively inexpensive, but not complete trash. Odds are, he'll flip it a few times, and throw it in his drawer. $200 is not what I'm looking to spend.

Top Bottom