• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    This may be a simple question to answer, actually I really hope it is. Last December my 17 year old son told me he would like a rifle for Christmas. We researched several models and he decided on a Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm pistol caliber carbine. He asked everyone to give him cash for Christmas and dear old Dad chipped in the rest. I ordered it through our LGS and amazingly got it in just a few days. We have both fired it since and it is a neat little gun and a lot of fun to shoot.

My question is, because he is a minor I purchased and submitted the background check under my name, but the gun is his. When he turns 18 in a couple months, is there anything I/we need to do to transfer it to him?

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I honestly didn't know if there was something I needed to do and simply asked for help. Sorry I made you answer an obviously dumb question.

No need to be sorry, I guess I didn't realize you were wanting to know if there is a law requiring you to do so. I just thought you were going to pput it in his name for the heck of it.
    sometimes it's hard to decipher via text.:dunno:

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    When you fill out a 4473 it is not "in your name". There is no registration, the 4473 is just a background check. There also is no person to person FFL requirements, so as long as he is not a felon, and lives in Indiana (which of course he meets) you can simply give it to him.

Also per Indiana law I believe you can as a guardian legally give your child the rifle, even though they are under 18, and it would be perfectly legal and legally be theirs. I'm sure someone else can back up if I'm correct or not as I can't find it in the IC at the moment.

EDIT:
    IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.

Hurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Georgetown, IN
    When you fill out a 4473 it is not "in your name". There is no registration, the 4473 is just a background check. There also is no person to person FFL requirements, so as long as he is not a felon, and lives in Indiana (which of course he meets) you can simply give it to him.

Also per Indiana law I believe you can as a guardian legally give your child the rifle, even though they are under 18, and it would be perfectly legal and legally be theirs. I'm sure someone else can back up if I'm correct or not as I can't find it in the IC at the moment.

EDIT:
    IC 35-47-2-7
    Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.

Good stuff. Thank you very much. The rifle is his, but until the day he moves out it stays in my gun safe that he does not have access to. We go shooting together only, until he is paying rent somewhere else. That may be a little harsh, but it's Daddy Law. :)

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Per IC-9472:
    Transfers of firearms from parents to children residing within the same household are permitted but require the recipient to perform at least one washing of aforementioned parent's vehicle.

There you go, now you can tell your son its the law. ;)

Top Bottom