• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    If anyone remembers my previous problem with my SW 638 J-frames finish, then they will be happy to hear despite that fiasco with SW, I did find a happy ending with my SW 638 that didn't involve ditching it at the LGS, all thanks to Allen M. and his genius in Cerakoting. For those who aren't familiar: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...on/414347-not-impressed-s-w-cust-service.html
    As you can see, butt ugly after 1, yes you heard me right, 1 day of carrying and sweating all over it (Pg 3 of thread).

So, off to Allen M. I sent my stripped frame. There was an unforeseen problem, but Kudos to Allen for handling the situation like a true professional, and only a short time after sending it in, I got it back with a Gun Metal Gray Cerakote finish.

Fast forward and after TWO MONTHS of carrying at work (I work outside for the DNR) in this terrible and humid summer with sweat pouring out of every pore... well you get the idea haha. This gun has seen more salt then an order of Mcdonalds fries and still looks like this!
    3908B105-972B-4CBA-A710-C600951555B0_zpszx1ipx5w.jpg

9CC6C515-286C-4E73-BAC0-6A950859B257_zpsec4cultt.jpg

SW finish - 0, Cerakote - 1

All in all, I'm a happy camper. Those who are considering Cerakote, send your stuff to Allen, you can't do better!

Mods - not sure if this belongs here or if there is a better subforum.. feel free to throw it wherever!

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Looks good. I've had him do a Glock slide and an M&P Slide/barrel that all turned out well. I was wondering how a J frame would turn out. I need to get in touch with him again about a 442 that had a bit of a disaster. I opened up the case it was kept in a few days ago and the foam was damp and there was rust in several places. :xmad: It needs help badly.

The results on yours have convinced me to send it to Allen and just get it done as well. Off to look at the various colors to choose from...

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Forgot to ask. Did you plug the lock or is that something he did while he had the gun? Need to do the same thing with mine.
    Do send your 442 to Allen, you won't regret it. I sure don't! :thumbsup:
    As for the plug, I purchased it from an individual on the SW forums. Here is the info he sent me that you need to order:

This is the information you need to order "The PLUG". They come in Three Sizes - "J - Frame", "K/L/N - Frames" and the "X - Frame".

The finishes and codes are as follows:

J/B = J frame with a Semi-Bright Stainless Finish
    J/BB = J frame with a Bead Blast Stainless Finish
    J/BD = J frame made with Black Delrin

N/B = K/L/N frames with a Semi-Bright Stainless Finish
    N/BB = K/L/N frames with a Bead Blast Stainless Finish
    N/BD = K/L/N frames made with Black Delrin

X/B = X frame with a Semi-Bright Stainless Finish
    X/BB = X frame with a Bead Blast Stainless Finish
    X/BD = X frame made with Black Delrin

COST & PAYMENT:

**Cost is $35 Dollars with PayPal (or a Check) for the First one, Second one is $30.00.

**Your Plug with PayPal (or Check) will have Insurance and Tracking along with being shipped by Priority Mail. Reason - PayPal Says I have to, to be covered for lost. Plus I am having a lost rate of four to five units a month - that I remake and ship at my cost to keep everyone happy.

PAYPAL Address is: wjohnwitt@aol.com

If you have problems with the installment E-Mail me at the above Address.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Sounds good, thank you.

I plan on sending Allen a PM tomorrow. I want to get a couple of pictures to send him for the estimate. The last time that gun was out to play was at least 6 months ago. Weather must have been crap and it got overlooked when cleaning and put away damp. There is some rust on the sight, a little on the barrel, a little more inside the barrel, the cylinder has rust in several spots and a small amount of pitting from it. Nothing that damages the function of the gun but the resale value is crap now. Just going to get it refinished and it will become a training/range gun saving the extra wear on the other J frames.

Once the process starts I'll start another thread with before and after pictures. I like the color you chose and the way it turned out. I'm going to go with something different on mine, not sure what yet. The other J frames are a regular 642 & a LS 642. I want this one to be different at a glance but not look like a toy (no blue or lego colors).

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    ...Boring thread, I knew it would look good... :) Glad to see you fixed your problem, looks great! That bugs me though as I have been eyeing a 642. I have seen more than a few complaints about QC in the S&W factories.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom