My time for AARP is a comin'....alternatives to AARP that don't involve dying?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's their published statement, quite different from how they have behaved regarding gun laws in practice.
    Also, that little part at the end of their official statement should be a decision of the gun owner, not that of the government, as they imply.

American Rifleman | Does the AARP Still Want Your Guns?

Two excerpts:
    That was back in 2007. Here’s what their website said at the time: “AARP believes in the Constitutional right to bear arms. But to make the nation safer, we must do what we can to keep guns out of hands of children and criminals. AARP supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which went into law in 1994 with bi-partisan support. AARP supports measures to eliminate firearm possession by juveniles, convicted domestic abusers and those under domestic violence restraining orders.”

Their current statement:
    “However, respected research continues to indicate that the use of firearms in assaults and robbery-particularly handguns-is directly linked to the high death rate from interpersonal violence in the USA compared with other industrialized countries. The prevalence of random violence featuring handguns in some neighborhoods has resulted in numbers of older people becoming virtual prisoners in their homes. Increasingly, families are suffering the loss of children and grandchildren who are the victims of violent crimes and senseless shootings. While registration requirements do not eliminate criminal or psychotic misuse of handguns, such requirements reduce the availability of guns, just as laws do not eliminate but do reduce the availability of illegal narcotics. Reduced availability to inappropriate users means lives saved. While you may disagree with the Board on this particular policy, we hope that many other issues, objectives, and services of AARP so beneficial to older Americans encourage you to remain or become a valued member of the association.”

Why in the HELL would a gun owner ever give these bastards a thin dime?
    SMH

I'm reading this fast but did you catch he quoted the AMAC position? (It's possible I misunderstood one or both posts).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm starting to get AARP junk mail, and I know my time is coming. I'm of the opinion that AARP does not represent my values and beliefs with regard to the Constitution, self defense, and defense of my home and hearth.

Looking for someone to refute my AARP beliefs, or suggest an alternative old timers organization. I want some of the benefits of being an old coot, but not at the cost of usurping my own values.

I'm just not a joiner. Unless it's for membership in an organization and cause I really believe is important, I have no interest in joining. I need to get around to telling AARP to stop filling my mailbox. I don't want to be a member.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm just not a joiner. Unless it's for membership in an organization and cause I really believe is important, I have no interest in joining. I need to get around to telling AARP to stop filling my mailbox. I don't want to be a member.

Is there a "no send list" to get on with them? Or is it better to let them continue wasting money on those of us who will never join?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is there a "no send list" to get on with them? Or is it better to let them continue wasting money on those of us who will never join?

There's probably a no-send list. And I guess I don't mind them wasting their money on me. It's more the principle. And I am personally insulted that an old fart org is soliciting my membership.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I dropped AARP like a hot rock when they endorsed Obama. However, if you are Medicare age (I am) you can get the same hotel discounts, among others, just because you're 65. As you approach Medicare eligibilty, I suggest you sign up for Senior Promise at St. Francis Health. One of the services they provide is Medicare counseling and, of course, the counselor is also an insurance agent. For example, Medicare prescription plans change every year and Senior Promise is the easy way to keep up with that. I'm sure other health care organizations provide a similar service.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Can you actually save more money in AARP discounts than you could by skillfully shopping?

Eh probably not. I get the membership for free and use it at different places I like to eat at. I'm sure there are other ways to get discounts at those places, but I hadn't ever looked into it.

A lot of my clients like the AARP membership discount for their auto insurance. Could they get cheaper insurance elsewhere? Of course, you can always find cheaper insurance, but that doesn't mean it is good insurance either. I have a few guys that come in my office that extremely dislike AARP because of their liberal positions, but can't drop them with the cheap rates they are getting right now.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm reading this fast but did you catch he quoted the AMAC position? (It's possible I misunderstood one or both posts).

If he quoted AMAC, a quick Ctrl-F "AMAC" found no mention of them on the entire page.
    I would call that a misunderstanding.
    I happen to know for a fact that AMAC is constitutionally oriented.
    Mark Levin wouldn't do commercials for them if they weren't; believe me.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've had hotel discounts where I had to show the AARP card to get them. I'm very hard to the right, but somewhat pragmatic where it suits me. (whore?) The magazine give you insight to their mentality. I think they really believe the crap they spout. Anyone like Rachel Ray? I recall an article a few years ago , I believe in AAARP, where she was gushing over Obama.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've had hotel discounts where I had to show the AARP card to get them. I'm very hard to the right, but somewhat pragmatic where it suits me. (whore?) The magazine give you insight to their mentality. I think they really believe the crap they spout. Anyone like Rachel Ray? I recall an article a few years ago , I believe in AAARP, where she was gushing over Obama.

Please, read my link carefully before you whip out that card so proudly again.
    AARP's own words should make you throw up in your own mouth.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If he quoted AMAC, a quick Ctrl-F "AMAC" found no mention of them on the entire page.
    I would call that a misunderstanding.
    I happen to know for a fact that AMAC is constitutionally oriented.
    Mark Levin wouldn't do commercials for them if they weren't; believe me.

Not to be argumentative and I'll let it go after this but re-read post 17 again. Level0 is quoting AMAC's position and you seem to attributing to AARP (which I agree with your take on them BTW)------or am I misunderstanding something?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Not to be argumentative and I'll let it go after this but re-read post 17 again. Level0 is quoting AMAC's position and you seem to attributing to AARP (which I agree with your take on them BTW)------or am I misunderstanding something?

No sweat and no offense taken.
    I think you're confusing AMAC with AARP here, though.
    There is not a single mention of AMAC in that article.
    All of the quotes are from AARP in it.
    Did I miss something, though?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No sweat and no offense taken.
    I think you're confusing AMAC with AARP here, though.
    There is not a single mention of AMAC in that article.
    All of the quotes are from AARP in it.
    Did I miss something, though?

I think what Level0 was doing was quoting an AMAC article stating their respects to the 2A...to wit: Your quoting of Level0's post in your post #17. In it, as I read it, AMAC appears quite supportive of the 2A. Then your response to that quote appears to be refuting AMAC's position by referencing AARP's position(s). Maybe I'm misreading your intention or your point. It's no biggie...I just wanted to point out that it appears AMAC's position seems positive but I think we're in agreement with that point. It's just my misunderstanding of the point you were trying to make, maybe.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been after me to join for years, militantly at times. It's just an insurance company with a lobby group attached to it, a sure fire money maker in dc.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I think what Level0 was doing was quoting an AMAC article stating their respects to the 2A...to wit: Your quoting of Level0's post in your post #17. In it, as I read it, AMAC appears quite supportive of the 2A. Then your response to that quote appears to be refuting AMAC's position by referencing AARP's position(s). Maybe I'm misreading your intention or your point. It's no biggie...I just wanted to point out that it appears AMAC's position seems positive but I think we're in agreement with that point. It's just my misunderstanding of the point you were trying to make, maybe.

Okay, gotcha.
    You are correct that AMAC is pro-2A, while AARP is anti-2A.
    That's not my opinion.
    That's based on each organization's respective statements.

Top Bottom