• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Send it to Mario, this is a pristine, expensive kit, that deserves only to be build by the best.

Get a stamp first, I hate seeing Krinks with barrel extensions.

AKs, are not hard to build, I am sure you can do it, but nice kits are very expensive + building tools are about $500 for the whole set, which won't be worth it, unless you have 10+ kits to build.
    My plan is to first get the trust in place, so I have the name ironed out, and then have it engraved on the 74U LLC receiver when it's made. I can get the receiver on order and start the paperwork at the same time, I'm thinking.

I don't like permanently attached barrel extensions either, but I like it even less when the threads on the FSB are buggered from being pinned so I don't think I'll bother with that stage before the full SBR.

As far as tools I have a machinist buddy that has made some, so it would be more about the risk of a poorly executed build than tool cost.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wish i knew more about the AK. Im quite familiar with the AR but AK's are like biochemistry to me. My question is with this kit all you would need would be the receiver correct?

AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    I wish i knew more about the AK. Im quite familiar with the AR but AK's are like biochemistry to me. My question is with this kit all you would need would be the receiver correct?
    The only thing missing is the receiver, which these parts would be riveted into usually using a press. In this case, due to the short barrel, NFA applies to do it with a stock and/or without a permanently installed barrel extension.

There are lots of how-to vids on Youtube. Here's one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grvrQW8j4rs

Also, a great resource for parts, tools and some info is AK-Builder.com

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the knowledge. So in the case of an SBR, I would buy the receiver get it engraved then send out form 1. Then once form 1 is approved I could send Kit+engraved receiver to the builder. Man, I thought waiting for my form 1 for my SBR was bad this would be brutal knowing that once i get my form back I will have to wait for the builder to complete the rifle. I may just have to go the cheap route and SBR a draco or buy a Krink already sbr'd (which wouldnt be cheap). Decisions decisions

AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Thanks for the knowledge. So in the case of an SBR, I would buy the receiver get it engraved then send out form 1. Then once form 1 is approved I could send Kit+engraved receiver to the builder. Man, I thought waiting for my form 1 for my SBR was bad this would be brutal knowing that once i get my form back I will have to wait for the builder to complete the rifle. I may just have to go the cheap route and SBR a draco or buy a Krink already sbr'd (which wouldnt be cheap). Decisions decisions
    I think you can double up and if your builder/SBR maker is an 07/SOT, then you can get the build process started while your paperwork is being processed, in this example it would be I think a Form 4. If the rifle was done before your paperwork then you'd just have to wait to take possession, or wait for the build to be done if it was the reverse.

From what I understand, that would be one way to handle it and it could be handled differently depending on exactly what you do. If the builder makes the SBR first, then transfers it to you, then it's one form (Form 4) and tax to be paid, while if you are the "maker" and just have them do the work then it's a different form (Form 1) and you pay your tax in advance. Apparently in some or all cases to transfer an NFA item to a gunsmith to have them do work requires the prior approval via a Form 5.

According to this FAQ, any gunsmith can receive and work on an NFA item, but you have to get advance permission both to and from them.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Gunsmiths

I rather like the idea of being the "maker" and having my (trust) info on the receiver, rather than some other builder's info (unless perhaps they are renown and their name has a certain cachet). There may be other reasons to have their info on it instead of my own. I'll have to research and decide which way I want to go.

I'd know better about what I'm talking about if I'd done it before. :)

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I bought a virgin kit a few years go with a original barrel and had overland industries build it for me and it is gorgeous. I would check him out too.

AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    They are on my list of potential builders too, as is Gewehrwerks. I suppose the builder's backlog may play a role in the decision, but I'm leaning toward Piece of History so far.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one built by each builder. :)

Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    When InRange built mine, it was done in 30 days, but that was before everyone went bananas. I sent my kit, barrel, and receiver to him the same day I sent my Form 1 in. Got approval in six months and had my gun three days later.

AKS-74U

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Looks good!! So what did you give for this one? Those kits are usually pretty salty!
    The seller I bought mine from puts them up starting at $1499 and no one else bid against me, so I got that. They seem to sell at that price, although sometimes an auction will be relisted a couple of times before it does. I'd seen them go for a little more, and rarely for less, on Gunbroker. K-VAR has them on their site asking $1950 for the same thing.

It does sound kinda salty once I write it out! I paid a bit less for the kit in my first video, the two-parter, but not a whole lot less, thinking I was getting a "deal," but with the cut down barrel it was overpriced in my and other's opinion. If the cut down barrel doesn't keyhole then I will feel good about what happened there, and I've already bought the right barrel for it if needed so any wallet pain is behind me.

I look at it as some part of what I'm paying for it is to not have to wonder if I'm missing out since the supply of these is limited. I'm feeling like my AKS-74U part kit bases are covered now, so I can look toward the receivers and builds, maybe without so much of a rush since the unique parts are in hand.

That being said, these AKS-74U are saltiest gun/parts I've ever bought. The exception is a Serbu BFG50 I'm getting that's just a bit more cheese, but since it's a huge piece of steel it's a lot more bang for the buck. Plus I'm on a group buy and we're getting extra goodies so it's really a deal compared to regular price.

Top Bottom