My Union dues and the election (mini rant)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    My monthly copy of Locomotive Engineers and Trainman magazine arrvied 2 days ago. Candidate recommendations for this election cycle are in this issue. Spolier alert!!!! It is a straight line Democract selection for every office except for 4 of them.

I am tired of seeing my union dues paying for propaganda for the Democrats. If I try to counter the union propaganda, 5 or 6 people will attack me personally, not the idea, belief or fact that is up for disscusion.I worked with people that do not or will not think for themsemlves. Every six months they get more stupid and will vote as the union tells them how to. We will get the goverment we deserve..........................

So now I'll follow my mom's rule; never discuss politics, religion or sex at work or a party.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What are your options for leaving the union, but remaining employed? Would the risk be too great and not be worth the benefit?

(Referencing Indiana's "Right to Work" laws)

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    My monthly copy of Locomotive Engineers and Trainman magazine arrvied 2 days ago. Candidate recommendations for this election cycle are in this issue. Spolier alert!!!! It is a straight line Democract selection for every office except for 4 of them.

I am tired of seeing my union dues paying for propaganda for the Democrats. If I try to counter the union propaganda, 5 or 6 people will attack me personally, not the idea, belief or fact that is up for disscusion.I worked with people that do not or will not think for themsemlves. Every six months they get more stupid and will vote as the union tells them how to. We will get the goverment we deserve..........................

So now I'll follow my mom's rule; never discuss politics, religion or sex at work or a party.
    I'm in the TWU and am a Carman. I love when we talk politics as you find out the liberals and those who will vote the way the union does can't come back with facts to dispute the topic.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What are your options for leaving the union, but remaining employed? Would the risk be too great and not be worth the benefit?

(Referencing Indiana's "Right to Work" laws)

None if you work for the railroad.

I work in a steel mill. I think 4 left the union, 3 came back within a week.
    The union is here for a reason. The company tends to act like a spoiled child. New managers even have older managers telling them to cool it because they're getting rid of very experienced personal for minor infractions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So, enjoy the benefits of a union, but without the cost? That's convenient...

So you have to agree with the union's political opinion and toe the line if you want their protections for your apolitical work? Stop and read that again. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Its one thing if he was *****ing about his boss at the DNC or PAC telling everyone who to work for. But he is driving his choo choo train. Nothing political about that.

EDIT: So in your world, if you are a blue collar working man... sorry, working person, dont want to offend anyone, you have no choice and should support who your master and protector tells you to?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hate crooked unions...have no issues with genuine honest trade unions...would join one in a minute.

I dont think there are any of those left, Bob. Havent for probably half a century or more. They all shill for the Dems and contribute to them while "encouraging" the workers to do the same. You enjoy being an engineer or welder, etc. and are a conservative Republican? Sucks to be you. Go white collar somewhere if you dont want your professional dues to go to Dems.

Unions are nowhere near as useful as they used to be. Hasnt been since OSHA.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yet another reason I don't like unions. Sorry I don't want to start anything bad here, just my opinion.

So you have to agree with the union's political opinion and toe the line if you want their protections for your apolitical work? Stop and read that again. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Its one thing if he was *****ing about his boss at the DNC or PAC telling everyone who to work for. But he is driving his choo choo train. Nothing political about that.

EDIT: So in your world, if you are a blue collar working man... sorry, working person, dont want to offend anyone, you have no choice and should support who your master and protector tells you to?

You can keep your money going for politics.

https://www.unionfacts.com/article/political-money/
    The landmark U.S. Supreme Court case Communications Workers of America v. Beck (1988) lets union members get a refund for the part of their dues that are used for political activity. Learn more about your Beck rights.
    Citizens United v. Federal Elections Commission (2010) altered the ways that unions can spend money in federal elections. Find out how Citizens United changed union political spending.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

Our union mag came the other day as well ( IUE-CWA "The Bolt")with the same recommendations... all dems. However in our local I would say most of our members (80%) are voting for Trump.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Heres the way I look at it. I pay union dues majority goes to international who then pays for politicians. With my local at least they may getting our money but they are not getting our votes which whats more important? Votes or money?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You can keep your money going for politics.

https://www.unionfacts.com/article/political-money/
    The landmark U.S. Supreme Court case Communications Workers of America v. Beck (1988) lets union members get a refund for the part of their dues that are used for political activity. Learn more about your Beck rights.
    Citizens United v. Federal Elections Commission (2010) altered the ways that unions can spend money in federal elections. Find out how Citizens United changed union political spending.
    Beck rights, that's funny. Guess what union I belong to?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My wife's previous union (she hasn't been a member in a decade) still sends her their union letters every election cycle. Usually asking for donations for political purposes, all while saying that politicians should not be bought...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Heres the way I look at it. I pay union dues majority goes to international who then pays for politicians. With my local at least they may getting our money but they are not getting our votes which whats more important? Votes or money?

But money=votes in all reality. (thanks to the low info voters that need somebody to tell them who to vote for, etc)

Not a 1:1 of course but still...

"Username"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2016
    Everywhere, so far.

I've always followed my grandfather's rule.... Never join a union.

Top Bottom