• ...and so much more!
  • Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Up until now my wife has humored my preps.
    But yesterday I realized she has been listening and learning as well.
    She very abruptly notified me that we will be getting meat rabbits and starting a garden
    ASAP.
    Then she proceeded to tell me how we were going to use cloth diapers for the next little one to join the clan.
    I was grinning from ear to ear,she asked why?
    I smiled and said, because you are a prepper!
    She smiled and said yep i guess i am...
    :rockwoot:

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    We tried the cloth diapers, was a lot of work. Looking back wish we would have kept up on it. Congrats on the convert. My wife has been on board all along so was lucky. I got my wife hooked on The Survival Podcast. After listing to a few episodes, SHE bought the membership. I was too cheap. She did however support my aquaponics experiment in the greenhouse.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    We tried the cloth diapers, was a lot of work. Looking back wish we would have kept up on it. Congrats on the convert. My wife has been on board all along so was lucky. I got my wife hooked on The Survival Podcast. After listing to a few episodes, SHE bought the membership. I was too cheap. She did however support my aquaponics experiment in the greenhouse.

Cloth diapers are not bad...I had 3 kids in them for a total of about 7 years...sometime 2 at a time and most of the time did not have a washer or dryer...use to be the norm...white vinegar and borax do wonder for cloth diapers even on a wash board. Glad to see so many women into prepping...most women I know look at me like I am crazy...or they say yea good idea and then do nothing to start.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Modern women are mostly clueless and useless. My wife was trimming with the riding mower.
    The mower got stuck in one of her dogs many holes in the back yard. She managed to rock the mower out but forgot to turn off the blades. After replacing the belt at some expense and much labor
    I grumped at her that she knew better and next time kill the clutch switch on the blades.
    She related this to her friends , who couldn't believe she mowed in the first place.
    It's six acres of mowing and yes I'm grateful for help, cause without her help it wouldn't get
    mowed. If I was married to one of her friends I'd keep her in an appartment, and own "hunting
    ground "...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Modern women are mostly clueless and useless. My wife was trimming with the riding mower.
    The mower got stuck in one of her dogs many holes in the back yard. She managed to rock the mower out but forgot to turn off the blades. After replacing the belt at some expense and much labor
    I grumped at her that she knew better and next time kill the clutch switch on the blades.
    She related this to her friends , who couldn't believe she mowed in the first place.
    It's six acres of mowing and yes I'm grateful for help, cause without her help it wouldn't get
    mowed. If I was married to one of her friends I'd keep her in an appartment, and own "hunting
    ground "...
    I just had this same conversation with a man last week...most younger women do not know how to bake bread with out the use of a bread machine, they do not know how to can, they have no clue how to go about washing clothes with out a washer and dryer , most don't own a can opener that is not electric...or even sew on a button...this is their parents and educators fault...basic life skills that all young woman were taught back in the day seems useless to many at this point until they have no electricity. I have taught my daughters these skills but they don't practice them. I go to several events called vendors fairs....I take my survival stuff and most pass it by, say it is to expensive, but have no problem spending 150 bucks on a purse. I have seen my daughter throw away a shirt because it was missing a button. I guess all I can do is preach at my daughters...my son gets its, his wife kind of gets it because he has forced her into prepping, the strange thing is all my grand kids get it. They want to learn these skills.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't just teach your daughters the "domestic arts". Boys can benefit from such teachings too. One of the things I love about this quote:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert A Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, p.248 (1973)

...is that it's gender neutral.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Don't just teach your daughters the "domestic arts". Boys can benefit from such teachings too. One of the things I love about this quote:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -- Robert A Heinlein, Time Enough for Love, p.248 (1973)

...is that it's gender neutral.

Great quote...I spent 20 years trying to teach my husband that... about the time I was ready to give up, he changed his first diaper on our grandson and cooked a meal inside the house. Over the last 15 years, he has been a great example for our grandsons...my son's wife taught him this quick that a true partnership is gender neutral.....but you are right, I better start making everything gender neutral.

Last edited:

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I guess my wife is a prepper without knowing it. She cans from our garden all summer long and we freeze and dehydrate as well. We use cloth diapers (some disposible ones are on hand for travel and church). We also line dry in the summer and make our own laundry soap. Oh and we are only 26 (her) and 27 (me).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I guess my wife is a prepper without knowing it. She cans from our garden all summer long and we freeze and dehydrate as well. We use cloth diapers (some disposible ones are on hand for travel and church). We also line dry in the summer and make our own laundry soap. Oh and we are only 26 (her) and 27 (me).

I am not sure what qualifies one as a prepped but I would say you are well on your way. Both of you are very smart to have learned those skills.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    My wife was kinda into it by storing food and water for about a month. I've kept up on it a little but funds have been hard to come by this year. She doesn't like guns but is ok with me buying guns and ammo with "our" money. Unfortunately she is more interested in BookFace.

Top Bottom