• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    My wife carries her .38 everywhere with her, which sparked some interest in her female friend. One evening, they decided that going to the gun range would be fun, as her friend had never fired a gun before. When we got to the range, my wife's friend became increasingly reluctant to participate. When we tried to get her to just try to fire it once, she decided the sound hurt her over-sensitive ears... Something warm and fuzzy happened inside myself when I saw my wife grab that pistol from her friend and tell her to stand back so she can get hers! BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG.......... Click BANG. Every shot my wife ever takes always hits the scary paper criminal.

My wife is barely over 100 pounds, so this type of attitude makes me so proud. She worked at a gun club in Jasper County her whole childhood, so I guess it's no mystery why she's so badass. :wwub: Love you babe!

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I have a tear in my eye. I hope her friend woman'd up. I like sharing with new(er) gun owners, but I am really happy when women who are hesitant, step up to the line and overcome their reluctance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just be aware:

Small .38 Special revolvers, especially the airweight models, tend not to make very good "teaching" or "beginner" guns.

They're not all that easy to control due to size, felt recoil can be rather brutal (especially with defensive loads and boot grips), and the smaller the gun, the more difficult it is to shoot them well.

I rarely ever offered to let anyone "new" shoot my J-frame.

However, if I had a bigger gun - say a S&W Model 10, I would definitely begin with that one + light target loads.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just be aware:

Small .38 Special revolvers, especially the airweight models, tend not to make very good "teaching" or "beginner" guns.

They're not all that easy to control due to size, felt recoil can be rather brutal (especially with defensive loads and boot grips), and the smaller the gun, the more difficult it is to shoot them well.

However, if I had a bigger gun - say a S&W Model 10, I would definitely begin with that one + light target loads.

This. A Taurus Ultralight 85 is my purse gun/BUG and I don't like shooting it. At all.

A well-sized .22 is usually the best option for beginners. Particularly ones who are as reluctant to shoot as the wife's friend.

And better ear protection. Double it up. Foamies and then muffs.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    This. A Taurus Ultralight 85 is my purse gun/BUG and I don't like shooting it. At all.

A well-sized .22 is usually the best option for beginners. Particularly ones who are as reluctant to shoot as the wife's friend.

And better ear protection. Double it up. Foamies and then muffs.

This^^^
    I always start out new shooters of either gender with my ruger 22/45.

On a related note, Hornady is listening:
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 38 Special :: 38 Special 90 gr FTX® Critical Defense® LITE

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Just be aware:

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

I always let the gals shoot my S&W 66, is a K frame, and .38's through it are smooth as butter. Then, after getting used to that, they can try a J frame.

It truly seems to remove the fear of recoil.

When they start getting cocky, i load up a .357 magnum round. ;)

cotter999

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012

My wife absolutely loves her .38. It took me quite some time to get her to even hold a gun. Now she cant wait to go to the range.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife HATES our .38. Hates the grips, hates the trigger, hates the recoil, and hates the noise.

It is her nightstand gun, she is absolutely NOT afraid of it, and is very good shot.

Little .38's just aren't all that fun to shoot. They are still pretty effective, though.

Now the little .22LR semi-auto.... we can both tear through ammo with that one!

@ the OP: good on your wife! Maybe her friend will eventually get over her fear.

Top Bottom