My wife wants her own handgun, suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think if she is not carrying it, as in it's home protection and range fun your options become much better!

You don't have to worry about weight or size or anything else from carrying it...

Get her a full sized (high capacity) 9mm handgun that she can really get ahold of, run well, and manage better than most. I like what wtbburrnet said about his woman like his glock19. I think that size or larger should be perfect for her and you can then let her get ahold of a bunch and choose her own.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Good advice so far.
    Let HER pick. I wouldn't be surprised if she likes a full size gun for shooting.

A medium/full size revolver (but NOT an airweight) is user friendly.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    There is as much difference in Ladies preferences as there is in men's. I have one DIL (in her 40's) that carries a Sig compact 9mm. She has shot handguns many men would not ever fire - such as their S&W .500 mag, and she loves it! She has shot my Colt 44 Mag, Colt 45 ACP, and loves their Benelli 12 Gage and her AK 47. She is a fairly small lady but can handle my 30.06's and other high power rifles with ease. My youngest sons wife also shoots her 45 ACP, but carries a 38 SPL with +P+ loads. She shoot it often at the range along with her AR and the 45. I have another DIL that carries a .380 and it is as much handgun as she is comfortable with.

My suggestion is that you not have ANY preconceived idea of the handgun she will be comfortable with and love. Just let her chose, if you were closer I would let her shoot my handguns, I have 22's, 38/357, 44, 9mm, .380, 45 ACP, 45 Long colt, and several military odd rounds. My current EDC is a Kimber Solo (9mm), I shoot +p+ LE rounds and although it is a sub-compact, sure don't feel the recoil is to hard for most ladies. IMHO, it is one of the most accurate handguns with the short sight radii I have ever shot, and it is very easy to carry concealed!

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Here's a suggestion, let her buy one. I made the mistake of letting my wife go through mine to see what she likes. I now have one less 4" K Frame in 38 spl. She didn't see the need for us to buy another gun. Good thing is that is still in the family.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Agree 100%. I always see gun store employees pushing snub nose .38's on new female shooters and just have to shake my head. There are plenty of compact semi's that are just as easy to use and much easier to shoot accurately.

Unfortunately it's not always the gun store employees pushing the guns. I had way too many inexperienced ladies come in asking for the small 380s (LCP was popular) or snub nose 38s for purse guns. Weight was the primary consideration, not whether they could actually shoot the thing.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Unfortunately it's not always the gun store employees pushing the guns. I had way too many inexperienced ladies come in asking for the small 380s (LCP was popular) or snub nose 38s for purse guns. Weight was the primary consideration, not whether they could actually shoot the thing.

Gun stores need to sell guns. New shooters seem to like the smaller, lightweight guns while in the store. Experienced shooters know these guns are easy to carry and more difficult to shoot. But ultimately the stores sell what the consumer wants.

Truthfully it it is hard to find one gun that does everything well. A good first gun should be something a bit larger and easy to shoot well. Once the novice shooter is comfortable they can add a smaller gun.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Gun stores need to sell guns. New shooters seem to like the smaller, lightweight guns while in the store. Experienced shooters know these guns are easy to carry and more difficult to shoot. But ultimately the stores sell what the consumer wants.

Truthfully it it is hard to find one gun that does everything well. A good first gun should be something a bit larger and easy to shoot well. Once the novice shooter is comfortable they can add a smaller gun.

I agree. I was just pointing out that when a newer shooter ends up with a smaller harder to shoot gun, it's not always the gun store employee pushing that gun on them. I sold those guns to plenty of people. After making sure they were aware of the drawbacks to it. But it was their choice, 100% agreed.

Captianbullseye

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 31, 2014
    Indianapolis
    If it were up to me I would also let her go to the shop and pick one out for her liking. I would also say to let her shoot different calibers so she can see what she is comfortable with.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will repost this here. With the Glock 43 out now there is yet another choice.

some general observations: S&W shield, XD mod2, M&Pc or full size, Glock 19 or 26, and the Walther PPQ all seem to work well for novice shooters. They are compact enough to be practical and big enough to shoot.

For what it is worth my wife owns a 1911 in 9mm and a Walther PPQ

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/374272-choosing-your-first-handgun.html

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach

A lady I work with made that mistake with an LCP. She's all of about 95 lbs and has trouble pulling the trigger more than 3 times. Needless to say, I'm trying to get her into something else.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    OP I wish you the best of luck during this journey and realize the one perfect most favorite may not be the first you buy
    after my wife took the NRA class in AZ (she was taking care of her mother for a month, and her brother is an instructor)
    we got her a 22 LCR - fits her hands nice and she enjoyed shooting it (and still does) , she didn't care too much for the Kahr CW9
    or my shield 9 a little too snappy ...... she loves her Stoeger Cougar 9, likes and carries a Kahr CW380. I try to keep her away from the 1911s
    only because she can go through ammo faster than anyone else I shoot with. Oh and her latest is the Smith M&P 22 compact.
    The airweight stubbys in 38 she has no desire to shoot more than a few rounds.
    So you don't have to think that it's one and done - hope she likes it. What you think she needs and what we may suggest
    may be completely different than what she is comfortable with, able to manipulate herself, and able to shoot consistently without flinching
    There are so many good choices and if you buy it right and it doesn't work out you won't be out too much if any $$$ if you need to sell it and try something else

Happy Shopping

Dan T

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    Took my wife to a gun shop. And she really had her eye on the cz p01. Its the one that felt the most comfortable in her hands.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    There have been a lot of good opinions here...so why not one more. :ingo:

Take her to a range where she can fire a few. Do your research on the five pistols most commonly fired by lady shooters (NOT a revolver) and rent those for starters. Lady shooters will likely have a "top three" list of some sort. Think of how many shoes or purses she has and that may be an indication of how her firearm purchasing will go. I have one I carry, one I wish I could carry, one that is too small to comfortably shoot and I only carry it in a pinch, one that I use for training, and then there's my wish list... Whatever you do, enjoy the journey.

Top Bottom