• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For those of you who don't know, I'm only 22. Hearing you guys talk almost makes a guy want to eat his gun before it gets worse.
    I was about to say it smells like old in here, hell I'll say it anyway, it smells like old in here. Reading your age has me thinking, 23 here. I've noticed my vision getting worse over the last couple years, use to be perfect now stuff is getting blurry. I have a hard time even looking at stuff near to my face as it starts to hurt my eyes. I blame cell phones and computers, that's when I notice it using those things... Your post just ensures I need to get it checked out. Thanks and good luck.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    For those of you who don't know, I'm only 22. Hearing you guys talk almost makes a guy want to eat his gun before it gets worse.

Be Thankful and appreciate all that you've been blessed with. It's the holidays and you've got family and friends.
    Glasses are an easy fix to a minor glitch. I've been wearing them for about 10yrs I'd guess. Play the cards you're dealt and be thankful you're still in the game.
    Look at the world around you before you moan of your "burden".
    Yea, it does sound a little old in here and you can believe there's a lot of us here that are lucky, fortunate, blessed, to even be here.
    I wish I was 22 again. Next year I'll hit 3 times that age.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I also had astigmatisms. I started wearing corrective lens when I was 15. They kept getting worse over the years to the point they Doctor couldn't find contacts that would stay on my eyes correctly. So I had LASIK when I was 27. That was 10 yrs ago and still have no issues. It sucks to have vision issues but there is options to help. Good luck.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sorry if it sounded like I was whining. It's just a big shock to me because I never really realized that anything was wrong. I thank God every day for my relatively good health, my beautiful and loving wife, and my amazing son. I really do have it great compared to some of the people that I graduated with and I know that my life could be way worse than having to adjust to glasses.

eSC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    New Pal
    I was about to say it smells like old in here, hell I'll say it anyway, it smells like old in here. Reading your age has me thinking, 23 here. I've noticed my vision getting worse over the last couple years, use to be perfect now stuff is getting blurry. I have a hard time even looking at stuff near to my face as it starts to hurt my eyes. I blame cell phones and computers, that's when I notice it using those things... Your post just ensures I need to get it checked out. Thanks and good luck.

I wouldn't worry to much, at 52 I still don't feel a day over 25.

Though my body keeps arguing with me on that point, I just avoid doing things that a 25yo can get away with.

Stay active and don't complain about the inevitable as time moves on. It's all about adapting to current situations.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have astigmatism in my right eye only, so I know exactly what you're going through. As for shooting, I'm sure it improved, it's just been so many years since I first started wearing glasses that I don't remember too many specifics.

The one specific thing that jumps out though, was upon receiving my first pair of glasses, I went directly to the grocery store. That was one of the weirdest experiences of my life! All the cereal boxes were slanted about twenty degrees! What once used to "appear" square, was now all slanted. No worries, it's just a temporary thing until your eyes naturally adjust to the glasses, but something that I'll always remember.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Do you have your glasses yet? I found out I had double astigmatism when I was in the sixth grade, never knew that I wasn't normal and so never complained about it. 20/400 in the left eye and 20/800 in the right. I can remember walking out of the optometrist and having a deep feeling of awe at the new world I could see. I made my mom drive around Indy for an hour so I could see all the "new" stuff. The correction is what rocked my world. Grandpa was happy about it as well, he was about to write me off as a shooting buddy due to my inability to hit any target more than 10 yards away.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Ages of 22, 23...42,43 - you guys are still wet behind the ears ! I have to stop and think to even remember those ages...my youngest "kid" is in his 40's.

Wait until those single vision glasses become tri-vocals. If you think shooting is challenged now, you won't like shooting with tri's.

Has as anyone yet mentioned besides the eyes, as you age other things start to not work the same also ?

And aches, pain, etc...that is for another story.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Been wearing glasses since I was 5. My eyes are bad enough that I'm not a candidate for laser surgery. I'm in bifocals, in my 30's, and still can't read the small print on most over the counter meds. Go cry somewhere else......

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Started wearing reading glasses in my late 40's. Mid-50's now and still use only readers along with hearing aids. The one thing i decided, was that I was going to hold out as long as I can, before i start the daily prescription medication routine. I control my cholesterol and blood pressure through diet and exercise. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I remember the day I figured out I was cross eye dominant. Was a couple years ago and I was still young in my shooting career. It seemed like the end of the world, until I realized I had been compensating for it all along and not realizing it. Had been shooting handguns right handed and looking through my left eye, didn't even notice till somebody pointed it out one time. Long guns still get shot right handed, but have to close my left eye. Tried the left handed long gun shooting, didn't work out for me.

Had the same feeling when I was told I might have a mild form of dyslexia, after awhile I realized it's just a new challenge in life and I take it will stride. Don't plan on being tested, doesn't matter to me anyway. I'll just watch out for it and be ready when it kicks in.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I've had myopia since I was a kid, and my left eye has a lot of astigmatism. I've good luck with contacts correcting both. In fact, contacts are better than glasses because of the relatively hi power required. I can't say I can attribute any of my aiming/shooting problems to astigmatism. :)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    .... Getting old is not for the faint of heart.

It's funny because it's true.......

2812218-6097765483-Fred-.gif

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know how it feels to be worried about vision especially when vision involves everything you love to do! I was born with poor sight in my right eye, so if anything every happens to my left I am screwed! I get hyper sensitive about my vision and worry a lot about what it'll be like in aging years even and what I feel like has been a slight decline. Sadly my one eye is not correctable so I know how it feels to get down about your vision... You'll be ok, just get everything running the way you need to when your glasses and what not are squared away and you'll feel a lot better I'm sure!

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    watch out for doorways. they now appear shorter and wider than they did before, if my astigmatism is anything like yours.

Also, Night driving will be a new experience for you. Nowhere near as unpleasant as it once was. That's actually my benchmark for how badly my prescription needs updated.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I'm supposed to have my glasses by 1/11. I'm kinda nervous about the "adjustment period" because I already have pretty bad headaches and nausea. The doc said I may feel lop-sided or dizzy for a while, I'm hoping she was wrong because I get tired of vomiting.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Aging is better than the alternative.

Ages of 22, 23...42,43 - you guys are still wet behind the ears ! I have to stop and think to even remember those ages...my youngest "kid" is in his 40's.

Wait until those single vision glasses become tri-vocals. If you think shooting is challenged now, you won't like shooting with tri's.

Has as anyone yet mentioned besides the eyes, as you age other things start to not work the same also ?

And aches, pain, etc...that is for another story.

I recently went to the eye doctor myself (been using readers last few years), and Dr prescribed progressive lenses, after I discussed that distance vision was not an issue and really wanted something better than readers for the computer (I probably mentioned it 5 times, as it was the most important aspect for me).

When I went to pick up the progressive lenses, I asked the person adjusting them for me (who was different than the person who fit me to begin with), what if I could not adjust to them/use them for computer viewing, and she indicated well we can have them made in a computer lens version. I was somewhat miffed that they did not mention this possibility the first time around.

Tried the progressives for a few hours after they came in and promptly took them back. I could not use them for a computer screen and that is where I spend 8 - 10 hours a day.

I am currently awaiting computer lenses (I only need them for computer use)... let's hope they are not just an extremely overpriced pair of readers.

I'm supposed to have my glasses by 1/11. I'm kinda nervous about the "adjustment period" because I already have pretty bad headaches and nausea. The doc said I may feel lop-sided or dizzy for a while, I'm hoping she was wrong because I get tired of vomiting.

Good luck. Hopefully it will end up with you being able to see better than you ever have.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom