• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Many of us have seen the claim on the Internet that .22's have killed more people than any other caliber. Google searches turn up no verifiable statistics. Is anyone able to clarify whether this is myth or fact?
    Not an advocate of small calibers just curious.
    Thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Killed more people? That would include murder, defense, suicide and accidents.

I'd have a hard time believing anything other than .22 LR

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Given how many are out there, its possible. This is especially possible if you count accidentals and suicides.

Locally, there are very few rimfires being used in shooting crimes. There are some where we can't figure out the caliber due to bullet condition (fragmented badly, etc.) but I'd say less than 5% of my cases last year involved a rimfire. For other detectives, when a caliber is listed on the information sheet, I seldom see .22. .25 is dying out as well, I used to see a lot more of it. The 9mm, .40, .45, and .38/357 make up the vast majority of calibers used in crimes around here.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've heard that assertion about .22's too. But I think that would be for a certain category of deaths, say accidental shootings. Surely, if you're talking about for all time-worldwide-all-in, it would have to be something like 7.62 or 9mm.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Couple insights from yahoo answers I found. I think they made a pretty good point at least. Don't mind the bad grammar and spelling in the first one, as I didn't type it. Just copy and pasted and didn't care to fix it all right now. I'd probably have to nominate the 7.92x57 like the second one though if I had to guess, but I thought the AK-47 has supposedly killed more people than any other weapon on earth? so maybe 7.62x39 as well.

"7.62x25 tokarev. It was used in tokarev pistol and ppsh submachinegun all out wwII, and not only by soviets and their allies, but germans used this round too, in the 7.62 or 7.63/65 of mauser. Also this round was used for notorius mass execution by kgb, and is still mass produced for personal firearms, and China still uses it as main handgun of the military, + many many 3rd world countries."

"As for all time kills by one cartridge, I'd have to nominate the German 7.92x57mm. It was used in both World Wars by the side that inflicted many times the losses they took on the other side. Millions of Russians alone died by that round, not to mention hundreds of thousands of French, Brits, and Americans."

Rocko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I heard this awhile back as well. Tried looking it up and couldn't really find anything definitive. I'd think it would have to be in the USA only because if you count all the deaths from wars, that would be hard to believe that a 22lr is king.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    This seems to come up on forums from time to time. Keep in mind though that killing and stopping are two different things. Some people use this argument and say a person should carry .22 for SD. Yes many people may die from .22's 2 or 3 days later in a hospital bed but I don't think it's very good at stopping a bad person from doing something bad right then.
    With that said though I remember a case where a homeowner came home to a burglar in his home. He shot and killed the guy through a (cheap) bedroom door one time with a .22

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I find it hard to believe. Yes, it's one of the most common calibers, but it's not popular at all for purposeful killings. It might be the leader in accidental deaths, but they make up a small fraction of yearly firearms deaths. 9mm is much more common for murders, and I have read no data on suicides (most common firearms related death in the United States).

Anyone have any idea on firearms used in suicides? I imagine it would lean more towards 9mm and 12 gauge than it would .22.

I'm intentionally leaving out statistics from warfare. If we added those the title would definitely go to 7.92x57 or 7.62x39.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've never seen any data that suggests to me that .22 lr has killed more people than any other caliber. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it.

Actually, when I do see some data, although not always directly related, it's makes me lean in the direction of "myth."

For example, the FBI report Violent Encounters - A Study of Felonious Assaults on Our Nation's Law Enforcement Officers has a table that shows handgun cartridges used to kill victim officers (1992 study). In that study, .38 was used 41% of the time, followed by .357 (15%), 9mm/12%, .32/10%, .44/.45/.22 - all at 5%, .25/.380 both at 3%. The table of calibers used to assault victim officers was similar - i.e. .22 down in the weeds. [1]

Doesn't exactly answer the question, but makes me lean in the "myth" direction. For crime/homicide anyway.

[1] - http://www.secondcalldefense.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/Violent-Encounters.pdf - see page 18 of pdf, 10 of document.

Top Bottom