• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pami, I agree that starting closer is better for all the reasons you mention.

But I'd also add that for those who consider carrying a gun, when you practice up close you get a real feeling for the REAL distances that most confrontations take place. When a civilian gets into a gunfight, the odds are the distances are VERY short. 8, 10, 12 feet are very likely distances. I've never understood defensive shooters who would practice at 75' and presume it was some sort of real life simulation.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    :+1:

I hear that most self-defense shootings usually happen in the "oh ****" distances measured in feet.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Pami, I agree that starting closer is better for all the reasons you mention.

But I'd also add that for those who consider carrying a gun, when you practice up close you get a real feeling for the REAL distances that most confrontations take place. When a civilian gets into a gunfight, the odds are the distances are VERY short. 8, 10, 12 feet are very likely distances. I've never understood defensive shooters who would practice at 75' and presume it was some sort of real life simulation.

:+1:

When we were training last week, I couldn't shoot from retention (target < 3 feet away) partially because it got too real for me. Crawl, walk, run.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I practice defensive pistol shooting from 0 to 100+ yards with the majority at 2-5 yards.

Cardboard in nice but to appreciate the dynamics of a gunfight measured in inches you need a real, live human shooting back or otherwise resisting in some way. The mechanics of shooting from retention need to be mastered and then you need to apply them against someone trying to disrupt those mechanics with violence.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Man!! I missed out on a lot!! I do want to go back a couple of pages, just to clarify something... I want to emphasize that I don't mean to be rude nor condescending. I'm just trying to share my knowledge. :cheers:

My opinion and knowledge comes from Marine Combat Tactics Manuals, Army Manuals, friends who served in the Marines, a lot of extensive military studying, combat tactics from WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm/Shield, and the many other non-fiction military books I have read over the years. So I don't have the hands on experiance. So if you want to slam me over that go ahead. But I'm no more of an expert than anyone else in here. That's why I'm here. To learn, but to also share what I do know. If my opinion offends you, then that's your right. I won't apoloigize for that. But at least my opinion is a well-informed opinion. As is yours I'm sure.

You may hear me say very often that "situation or mission will dictate". This is very true in a lot of cases. Theoretical knowledge is practically worthless. Unless you use that knowledge practically, you won't know if it works or not. Unfortunately tactics, in a lot of cases, aren't reworked or re-written unless lives are lost. I have seen with the US Army that they won't change unless they have an "Oh ****" moment and then they say, "Well, that doesn't work. Let's find something else."

I can tell you that once we hit boots on ground in Kuwait, we were told to throw our S.O.P. in the trash. Everything we had been taught was no longer valid.

Once we were Boots on Ground in Iraq... THAT SOP was thrown out. So much had changed in the 3 weeks we had been in induction that we had to re-work for those changes. As situations will change, so should your tactics.

Case studies done in Military education centers document on how tactics change, especially in the urban/suburban environment, where enemies are able to blend in with the masses, making it difficult to differenitate (sp?) between friend or foe. This could also, in contrast, be used in training for US civillian use. As the threat of wartime/invasion on US soil is highly unlikely, it still is a possibility.

This is why I too, constantly look for case studies and changes in tactics that can be applied for civillian use. However, in your case... learning the basics of combatives might be more prudent before you get into tactics. Learning the basics of Firearm use and care and civillian law would be a pre-requisite to that.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Silent, I appreciate your input. I really do. I especially appreciate your not being rude! LOL I do understand that tactics are always changing. Maybe one day you could teach me a thing or two. I heard from my cousin, who was a gunner in the Apaches during the first gulf war, that there was a lot of confusion resulting from the higher ups throwing out the SOP. I mean he said they knew their job and all but besides rules of engagement, it was pretty much up to whomever the commanding officer was at the time and no one moved until it came from the "up and ups". Which is why we didn't get Saddam when we had the chance and even when Clinton was in office... We missed bin Laden by minutes because Clinton was too busy playing golf to care. Even when they hit the ground during this Iraqi conflict they changed their strategy more times than the troops could keep up with. And you're right, it took guys dying for them to change their SOP.

As for basics of firearm use, care, and law... That's what I'm HERE for. Is to learn law, experiances, and get advice on different types of firearms in general. And since I can't afford formal training yet I have to rely on what I can find here and elsewhere. True I won't have someone to correct my mistakes. But I can still practice marksmanship. Maybe after a while I'll be able to afford more advanced training, but until then I have to rely on other materials, this forum included. So help is appreciated. People's attitiudes can take a walk cause that's not why I'm here. (not you Silent) If I make a mistake, correct me, not jump down my thoat about how stupid I am. I appreciate everyone who does try to help.

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    There is a $60 class being offered in the training forum. You can't afford that? How much is your internet connection and the computer you are typing on. I have read through this entire thread and my advice to you SavageEage is read more. Post less. And loose your attitude.

I have not seen anyone be rude to you in here. I have seen people with a lot of experience go out of their way to try and educate you. IN return you have been rude to them.

Silent, I appreciate your input. I really do. I especially appreciate your not being rude! LOL I do understand that tactics are always changing. Maybe one day you could teach me a thing or two. I heard from my cousin, who was a gunner in the Apaches during the first gulf war, that there was a lot of confusion resulting from the higher ups throwing out the SOP. I mean he said they knew their job and all but besides rules of engagement, it was pretty much up to whomever the commanding officer was at the time and no one moved until it came from the "up and ups". Which is why we didn't get Saddam when we had the chance and even when Clinton was in office... We missed bin Laden by minutes because Clinton was too busy playing golf to care. Even when they hit the ground during this Iraqi conflict they changed their strategy more times than the troops could keep up with. And you're right, it took guys dying for them to change their SOP.

As for basics of firearm use, care, and law... That's what I'm HERE for. Is to learn law, experiances, and get advice on different types of firearms in general. And since I can't afford formal training yet I have to rely on what I can find here and elsewhere. True I won't have someone to correct my mistakes. But I can still practice marksmanship. Maybe after a while I'll be able to afford more advanced training, but until then I have to rely on other materials, this forum included. So help is appreciated. People's attitiudes can take a walk cause that's not why I'm here. (not you Silent) If I make a mistake, correct me, not jump down my thoat about how stupid I am. I appreciate everyone who does try to help.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    How can I learn without asking questions? To ask, I have to Post.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, but I feel I was being dogged on. I don't have a bad attitude. If I did somewhere point it out. But make sure it wasn't attitude in response to someone else's attitude. I'm just trying to get answers to my questions. That's all. Now can we just drop this **** and move on please?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok another NOOB question...

The FNH Five-Seven

I was reading about this gun in my Autopistols magazine and read about the Magazine Disconnect. What exactly is this and how does it work? The article didn't really address this so I was just wondering.

Also has anyone shot or own one of these? What's the round's it fires like?

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

As I said before, I live close and I'm here to help. You let me know when's good for you.

As for the FN Five-Seven, the only exposure that I've had with it is Splinter Cell. From what I understand (anyone is open to correct me), it can penetrate light body armor and suppresses well. However, the ammo is expensive and in short supply.

IMHO? Not a practical buy. You'd get better use out of a .45 ACP or 9mm. However, it would make a great conversation "piece", as it were. :):

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL didn't know about the game apperance. I just read about it. It's too expensive for me anyway. I just wondered more what the Mag Disconnect was.

Top Bottom