• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I know what I want in a safe. I know what I am able to spend. I wanted recommendations for safes in that range. I didn't want your opinion of how I need to up my budget because you upped yours.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Basically, a safe is just a steel box with a door and lock. You pay more for guarantee, thicker metal, prettier finish, electronic or biometric lock, fire ratings, etc. To me the lock is the part that is most used and I believe paying for a quality lock and it is worth it to me. I have two safes. One has a dial lock and the other is electronic. I personally think that the electronic lock is more convenient. I have had the one with the dial lock for over 25 years. I've had the one with the electronic lock for over 5 years. I've had no problems with either. I'm not a Costco customer so as always buyer beware, but you might want to check this out. It is little over your price range, but a seemingly good deal: http://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-...-20"D-|-Electronic-Lock.product.11625662.html

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, I think what thegeek is trying to say is, in that price range, the box that you'll get is more accurately referred to as a "residential security container," (if it has an industry rating at all, usually TL-5) than a proper safe.

But, you can call the box whatever you want. Calling it a "safe" is certainly fine in common parlance. Some people just don't consider a box a real safe unless it has a Class B or higher rating.

We all have budget limitations. What's important is that you know what kind of protection the box you get provides so you can add compensating layers of security as necessary.

Good luck shopping.

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Good and cheap are really hard to put in the same sentence when talking about safes. I've been on a 2 year hunt for a safe. My initial thought was $1000 will get me a good safe. My new budget is about $2700. When you start getting into the gritty details, the differences really come out. Fort Knox has a good video about the differences. Types of steel, fire protection methods, bolt diameters, etc. All of it factors in.

With a budget of $500, you're not going to get what I would call a "good" safe. "Good" safes start at about $2000.

I agree with above. Fort Knox is the best. Superior is a lot of bang for your buck.

If your guns are not worth a bunch and kids are of concern any department store safe will suit you fine.

My definition of good starts at about four grand. I see it as an insurance policy without the annual fee.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I agree with above. Fort Knox is the best. Superior is a lot of bang for your buck.

If your guns are not worth a bunch and kids are of concern any department store safe will suit you fine.

My definition of good starts at about four grand. I see it as an insurance policy without the annual fee.

Also consider a serious safe if you are putting other valuables like jewelry, etc. in there.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    The black friday ads next week should have something in that range. Just looking around, I don't see any fireproof safes in the $450 dollar price range. There are a couple of good safes for that price but non-fireproof. I think I would wait for a fire-proof one, if anything just for the extra weight. I would give it a week and see what pops up in the ads.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The black friday ads next week should have something in that range. Just looking around, I don't see any fireproof safes in the $450 dollar price range. There are a couple of good safes for that price but non-fireproof. I think I would wait for a fire-proof one, if anything just for the extra weight. I would give it a week and see what pops up in the ads.
    AFAIK, there are no fireproof safes, nor bullet proof vests.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Dunhams Sports has a fire "resistant" (I dont want the grammar police on me again) safe in your price range. It's a 20 gun and is 449.99 I believe. Pretty sure it's one of the pre black friday sales.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dunhams Sports has a fire "resistant" (I dont want the grammar police on me again) safe in your price range. It's a 20 gun and is 449.99 I believe. Pretty sure it's one of the pre black friday sales.
    I guess it just depends on one's point of view. If I had purchased a safe described by the manufacturer as "fireproof" and stored my original copy of the Declaration of Independence in it and it was destroyed in a house fire, I wouldn't be happy with the term. If I purchased a vest described as "bulletproof" and someone shot me with a rifle that went through and through, I'd complain. If I were the grammar police, I'd point out your failure to use an apostrophe. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Touchy subject in here.
    I have 2 of the referred to "Residential cabinets.
    After a few weekends in my shop it will take maximum effort to get them open short of a cutting torch and even then you will have to know where to cut. Pry bar will not do it either.They are secured to the house and they are not going to move. Best I can do with the room I have. No, not fire resistant either.
    A thief usually does not come well tooled for this level of activity. Unless it is someone that knows what you have and what it will take to get it a thief is more smash and grab.
    My house is alarmed and someone is always close by.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, a bit testy. By the way, I named my safe Fred. He's just an okay safe, though. He's not fireproof.

I would say not so much "testy" as more of my extreme level of sarcasm coming out. I admit I have problem. "My name is scott, and im a sarcastaholic". See I admitted to the problem. Whats the next step to recovery?

Top Bottom