• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Recently purchased a home with a 1/4 acre pond, which is supposedly fed by two artesian wells. I have no idea if both wells still lead into the pond, and the previous home owner has really let it go. A lot of overgrowth and little to no fish due to the lack of oxygen levels in the water.
    Any suggestions on how to really bring this pond back to life so I can stock it again?

thanks!

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Depth would be one important factor. You did not mention if this pond has a dam. If it does, the dam should be, at a minimum, ten feet high. This would allow for an earthen spillway to be 1.5' lower than the top of the dam and an average water depth of at least 8' over most of the pool area. This would be for dams with a watershed of 10 acres or less. Also, keep the aquatic weeds in check. If you do decide to do your own weed control with chemicals, make darn sure you follow the directions. I have seen where pond owners treated the whole pond at one time and suffered fish kills. I know you said there are essentially no fish, just letting you know for future reference.

If the pond is just a dug pond without a dam, you would still need to deepen to the minimum 8' depth over most of the pond. If your pond is already deep enough, then weed control would be on my to do list.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Depth is huge for a low-maintenance water feature. Back when I was digging, we would pick up some pond jobs to keep busy during the winter. People either knew what they were getting into and were willing to make it happen the right way or they just "wanted a BIG pond" and would argue to no end that they only wanted it to be three feet deep so as to save money. Compromise on the surface area, not the depth.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Depth is huge for a low-maintenance water feature. Back when I was digging, we would pick up some pond jobs to keep busy during the winter. People either knew what they were getting into and were willing to make it happen the right way or they just "wanted a BIG pond" and would argue to no end that they only wanted it to be three feet deep so as to save money. Compromise on the surface area, not the depth.

Then you end up with Grand Lake St. Mary's!

6' deep lake, on average. And now the algae is so bad that no one can be out in it...OR drink the water. Which is bad since it's a drinking-water reservoir...

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy

Sounds like Tryin' has been there and done that. Excellent advice!

Top Bottom