Look, everybody knows how guns work.

oom7e.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Will someone just please explain the rules about when we are allowed to acknowledge that someone made a mistake and that we should all be careful not to make the same mistake?

Ever?

Do we need an INGO safe space where negligent discharges are ignored as inevitable?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look, everybody knows how guns work.

oom7e.gif

INGO safety briefing.

Do we need an INGO safe space where negligent discharges are ignored as inevitable?

I hope not. I don't think many people understand how important it is not to act like this.

When it comes to gun owners, there is joint and several liability. I am sorry for being the Bucket of Cold Water in the Bravado Party. However, we are all in this together and goofy crap like shooting up courthouses or pointing guns at people while we tell the world how highly trained we are does not help us.

Let's not let complacency kill others or our rights. Those that cannot control themselves (because they wave guns around for example), shall be controlled by others.

It's a snake, leave it be.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There are two types of gun owners... Those that have had negligent discharges and those who haven't yet...

3 types.: those who never will. I do not believe that every gun owner has had a ND in their life or before they die. I don't buy it and I've never seen any evidence to support it.

I don't buy into that thinking either. It was coined by someone foolishly attempting to marginalize their own failure to behave safely.
    "Everybody does it eventually." Uh, no. :rolleyes:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Kirk, I appreciate your getting out in front of this issue. You are absolutely right, and we all need reminded that, no matter our experience or training, we can't ignore the rules. When you do, bad things happen.

Still, with the way you word your points, I get the distinct impression that you bought your pistol already in a holster, and you have never once removed it. Just an observation.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    You walk in the pasture long enough you will step in some time, just because you haven't yet only proves you still need to walk in the pasture longer.

None of are infallible.

Well some are, those children still born and the aborted ones.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You walk in the pasture long enough you will step in some time, just because you haven't yet only proves you still need to walk in the pasture longer.

None of are infallible.

Well some are, those children still born and the aborted ones.

:alcoholic:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Bad deal all the way around but at least it was an LEO and not a 'civilian'. When it's LEO's it might make the news but that's about it. If it would have been a 'civilian' then the anti's never let it go.

There were at least 11 ADs by civilians in Marion Co that resulted in injury last month alone. How many made the news?

Anti or pro, it's an issue. At the least, use it as a reminder that none of us are perfect and to be safe in our own handling so we aren't the next headline or the next guy who put a hole in someone/thing we really regret.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Of course not, but at the same time the "it'll never happen to me" lasts right up until it does. It'll never happen to me lets you point it at things you shouldn't. Ignoring them or writing them off as a non-issue is counterproductive to safe gun handling, IMO.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There were at least 11 ADs by civilians in Marion Co that resulted in injury last month alone. How many made the news?

How many civilians shot up the Marion County courthouse or any other government building where the public has business in Marion County? I'll stand by for that number.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk, I appreciate your getting out in front of this issue. You are absolutely right, and we all need reminded that, no matter our experience or training, we can't ignore the rules. When you do, bad things happen.

Still, with the way you word your points, I get the distinct impression that you bought your pistol already in a holster, and you have never once removed it. Just an observation.

I don't think this is too hard. Guns are dangerous, the fewer opportunities one has to do something stupid--like shoot up a courthouse, the fewer bad things happen.

Don't play gun show. We all have guns, just leave them be.

Here no one was injured. Let's be thankful for this but let's also learn from this.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    When you do stupid things, stupid things happen.

The thinking that this will happen to everyone if they are at it long enough is BS.
    If it has happened to you, YOU where at fault. Except responsibility for your actions.

If you think its just a matter of time before your gun goes off accidentally, please remit your firearm to a
    responsible adult and go find another pass time.

And the idea that you can't safely show your firearm to someone else is crazy. Didn't the guy that sold it to
    you show it to you? If you don't know how to do it, leave it at home.

I don't think they should hang the guy, but six months unpaid leave and some firearm training/retraining might help.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I don't think this is too hard. Guns are dangerous, the fewer opportunities one has to do something stupid--like shoot up a courthouse, the fewer bad things happen.

Don't play gun show. We all have guns, just leave them be.

Here no one was injured. Let's be thankful for this but let's also learn from this.

I agree completely. But you're like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Something about you just makes me want to poke you. :stickpoke:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I agree completely. But you're like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Something about you just makes me want to poke you. :stickpoke:

I have started running and cut down on the beer (and pretzels). Hopefully I shall not remind you of the Doughboy soon.:D

Anywho, topics such as this are vital, because it is something we can control. I know gun accidents (I am including NDs, everyone stop clutching your pearls) are way down, but every incident hurts our cause with those on the fence as MDA's agitprop gains more traction when things like this happen.

Yes, he was an agent of the government, but we can still learn from it. Don't play gun show. Respect the gun, it is a snake and can bite.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have started running and cut down on the beer (and pretzels). Hopefully I shall not remind you of the Doughboy soon.:D

Anywho, topics such as this are vital, because it is something we can control. I know gun accidents (I am including NDs, everyone stop clutching your pearls) are way down, but every incident hurts our cause with those on the fence as MDA's agitprop gains more traction when things like this happen.

Yes, he was an agent of the government, but we can still learn from it. Don't play gun show. Respect the gun, it is a snake and can bite.

Don't talk about snakes. They're scarier than guns.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I'm late to the party, but this is a good example of why all weapons are treated as loaded and pointed in a safe direction. Firearms are tools of the trade for LEOs, so it's no surprise "professional" NDs occur. Familiarity does breed contempt. Except for the shotgun blowing the clock off the wall in the watch commander's office, it's telling that all the NDs I remember were during show and tell.

Top Bottom