• printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :popcorn:

So, where's the safe place to put it in a bathroom stall?

They put convenient holder in the bathrooms. I use these, you hook the trigger guard on it and you are in business. Larger calibers you can just stick the barrel on the stem.

hM9eYhm.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

If you wear briefs, they make a little hammock for your gun when you're in the position. If you wear boxers, you have to use the provided gun hook, as already demonstrated up thread. I usually lock mine in my desk drawer before heading to the stall, along with my magazines and badge. I've never had an AD doing so, but I did once have my badge holder slide off my unhooked belt and drop into the toilet. Lesson learned, there.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't believe you. Anyone with 6,000+ posts on a gun forum - who carries a gun - has shown it to someone.
    Your disbelief doesn't change my behavior. When I put a loaded gun into my holster in the morning it stays there until I go I to bed. The only exception is for common sense free zones like schools. I don't care how much you beg me to let you touch it.

If we want to remove our gun from the holster to coonfinger it and show our buddy there's a safe way to do it. That's not being a bearded operator, that's simply acknowledging the risk and overcoming it by putting a procedure that works in place. In other words, being vigilant!

Yes, as shown in Boone Co.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line

Wherever the hell you want. If you're in the stall all by yourself, who cares?

I'll bite on your point though. What if you keep it "safely holstered" yet still engage the trigger while pulling your pants up or tucking your shirt in or any of the million other 'what if?' instances that can happen? I know, I know. That can't happen because you use a good holster and make sure you don't accidentally catch it on anything. I bet you never have a pen in your pocket or the corner of your wallet comes in contact with it. Never had a pull string on a jacket or any of the other causes of NDs. Surely you've never shat next to someone who could see your holstered gun, reach right over and grab it. Because none of those things ever happen.

My point in all this is accidents happen. Pretending like your way of preventing them is any better than anyone else's way is simply an opinion. There are many safe ways to handle firearms and there's no need to poo poo on someone else's way just because it's different from yours. I respect your right to leave your firearm in a holster all the time... but I still don't believe you do. I believe you can safely remove it for various purposes be they coonfingering or dumping in public.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End

I'll bite on your point though. What if you keep it "safely holstered" yet still engage the trigger while pulling your pants up or tucking your shirt in or any of the million other 'what if?' instances that can happen? I know, I know. That can't happen because you use a good holster and make sure you don't accidentally catch it on anything. I bet you never have a pen in your pocket or the corner of your wallet comes in contact with it. Never had a pull string on a jacket or any of the other causes of NDs. Surely you've never shat next to someone who could see your holstered gun, reach right over and grab it. Because none of those things ever happen.

My point in all this is accidents happen. Pretending like your way of preventing them is any better than anyone else's way is simply an opinion. There are many safe ways to handle firearms and there's no need to poo poo on someone else's way just because it's different from yours. I respect your right to leave your firearm in a holster all the time... but I still don't believe you do. I believe you can safely remove it for various purposes be they coonfingering or dumping in public.

Somebody that knows what reality is.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    there's no need to poo poo on someone else's way just because it's different from yours.

If people advocate pointing guns at others, there is more than enough reason to poo poo such moronic behavior.

If people advocate playing gun show, there is more than enough reason to poo poo such behavior.

We should stop others who advocate unsafe behavior with firearms as it harms us all.

This deputy knew better than to play gun show. Don't do it. Beard Logic will kill you or others, or both.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Personally? I've never been in a stall constructed of material that would stop a round from pretty much any handgun.

Wouldn't "safely holstered" imply "trigger protected", and therefore preclude such things?

My point in all this is accidents happen. Pretending like your way of preventing them is any better than anyone else's way is simply an opinion.

Perhaps true, perhaps not. Following the Four Rules is demonstrably effective in preventing negligent discharges. Properly holstering a firearm when it is not being handled is demonstrably effective in preventing negligent discharges. Do other practices have similarly demonstrably effective results? Perhaps.

There are many safe ways to handle firearms and there's no need to poo poo on someone else's way just because it's different from yours. I respect your right to leave your firearm in a holster all the time... but I still don't believe you do. I believe you can safely remove it for various purposes be they coonfingering or dumping in public.

"Coonfingering" a firearm is an inherently unsafe practice. There is no way to render that practice safe. A firearm is not a toy, and should not be treated as one - including for "coonfingering" (where "coonfingering" means "handling for no specific purpose"). Firearms should only ever be handled for a specific purpose, and appropriate care (such as following the Four Rules) should be taken when doing so.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    You guys do realize firearms cannot fire without ammunition in them, right?

It's perfectly safe to do whatever the hell you want with a gun once you've unloaded it and verified it's clear. In every single case of ND (or AD) there's ammunition present. Simply removing the ammo will stop every single ND. In cases of ND (or AD) someone failed to verify the ammunition was removed.

I'll take it a step further. If your finger is off the trigger the gun won't function either. (Ammo present or not.) Waving around a loaded firearm with your finger off the trigger is no more dangerous than waving a wizard's wand.

The common denominator in what makes those situations "dangerous" is when a person fails to exercise the proper safety procedure. Since humans invariably forget to do things or do things wrong sometimes there's really no situation that "always" keeps us safe. Like all other things in life it's up to individuals to take responsibility for their own actions. Calling people morons for forgetting to do something or having a momentary lapse in judgement is way more detrimental to the cause of safety than demanding we apply unconditional rules to all gun owners.

What kind of world would we live in if we couldn't coonfinger our guns around our buddies? That would suck!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'll take it a step further. If your finger is off the trigger the gun won't function either. (Ammo present or not.) Waving around a loaded firearm with your finger off the trigger is no more dangerous than waving a wizard's wand.

Firearms discharge without fingers on triggers all the time. Pointing a loaded gun at another is a felony.

Beard Logic such as this is illegal, ignorant and f**king dangerous. It should be eschewed.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That fellow works in a gun shop, instructs with Revere's Riders and was trained in the military.
    He has to know what he's talking about. Why would you guys question him? :dunno:

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Some dipstick with a Cabelas hat, Ruger shooting bag, was d*cking with a loaded gun by the front door of a shop with a range today.
    They were packed.
    He pointed it downward, but WTF he didn't do it when on the range? ( he had been shooting before).
    Didn't clear it on range, or was prepping his EDC................doesn't matter.

Drove a Mercury, older guy.
    Mustache but if bearded was of the goatee type.
    One other person saw him messing with his gun not on the range.

No big deal, he was proly a bit foggy, was too excited, about the possibility of using a .30-06 rifle in deer season.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And that is why safety traing should be for everyone... even law enforcement...

Well, Boone County does have a top notch FTU program. I have heard the admonition "don't play gun show" uttered an the Boone County range by BCSD personnel. Not sure why this did not stick here.

If this was someone without a badge they would be hosed on multiple levels--criminal, civil, and admin. Those of us without badges on INGO need to learn from this. Keep this incident in the back of your mind the next time you think about playing gun show. If cops screw up, that's one thing, for us, an entirely different matter.*

*Not saying this is right, just bringing the reality.

Top Bottom