Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

It is 22,000 KILOMETERS, not miles!

That translates to less than 14,000 miles and is extremely close by space distances.

We can thank Jupiter for protecting us from most of the junk that comes in from the outer solar system. Its gravity tends to draw in and suck down many of the problems that would make it to the inner solar system.

If it did hit that would be a big badda boom. I don't know how much of a 40 meter object would survive our atmosphere but it could be bad.

Regards,

Doug

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    40 meters would make a mess, but not anything like an extinction event. For reference, the Tunguska Event was an object on the order of 100 meters. I wouldn't want to be UNDER it, but it is still "just" a local event.

If you need to worry, check out Apophis:
    99942 Apophis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

300+ meters, and a VERY near approach in 2029 and then an exceptionally good chance (well, in astronomer's terms) of an impact in 2036 if it passes through the right spot in 2029.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's path takes it between us and our GPS satellites? That's a little too close for me!

Are you sure?

I believe, GPS satellites are are in orbit @ 20 km - which is closer than geostationary orbits. Geostationary satellites include weather and communication satellites.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    To All,

It is 22,000 KILOMETERS, not miles!

That translates to less than 14,000 miles and is extremely close by space distances.

We can thank Jupiter for protecting us from most of the junk that comes in from the outer solar system. Its gravity tends to draw in and suck down many of the problems that would make it to the inner solar system.

If it did hit that would be a big badda boom. I don't know how much of a 40 meter object would survive our atmosphere but it could be bad.

Regards,

Doug

35k kilometers 21k miles

Asteroid 2012 DA14 to sweep close on February 15, 2013 | Space | EarthSky

Do you have a link to your info?

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Are you sure?

I believe, GPS satellites are are in orbit @ 20 km - which is closer than geostationary orbits. Geostationary satellites include weather and communication satellites.

2012da14_s.jpg

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The talk radio show guys are saying that the Federal Government will run out of money on the same day. How prophetic!

Top Bottom