• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    So last night my Lee Ergo prime kind of broke. It still works ok but its not like it was and defiantly seems to be smashing more primers. So the question is what are you guys using for hand priming your 223 rounds? Dont want to spend a ton but i want something that will last longer than the year i have had this Lee. If i have to just get another Lee then so be it....but its not my favorite tool. It doesn't fit my hand real well because i have small hands.

P.S.- dont get into the "well buy a press that does that for you" this is about hand priming...not a new press set up.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have a RCBS hand primer that I have had for close to 20 years. Never had a problem with it.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I like my RCBS. I have loaded about 3,000 rounds with it so far. I didn't know that there is one that didn't use shell holders.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Both the RCBS and the Hornady units work good. The design of the RCBS tends to make it easier to tilt the unit so the open case points to your face. I never popped a primer, but always made a mental note to tip it away while I squeezed the handle. The Hornady tool is kind of a big bulky tool, but it does use regular shelholders. I really liked how the APS system tool works, but I do not like being limited to only using primers that come on the plastic strip (and cost more).

I liked the old (pre lawyer) Lee priming tool because of the compact size and ease of use. They did break sometimes, either the thumb lever, the "dog bone" link would wear out or the clear plastic lid would get old and brittle. When the old ones broke, you could buy the part you needed for a dollar or two. They no longer sell repair parts for the old ones.

Do the new RCBS units still drop the primer push rod out if you turn the unit upside down? I lost mine the first week, but RCBS sent me a new one pretty fast.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I like the RCBS hand primer. Get the universal one that does not require shellholders. They are nice.

Here's the link: RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool

+1
    I've installed 12,000 primers with it and still going strong. I like that it gives me very good feel for how the primer is going in.

Spend the extra bucks and get the universal model.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've thought the RCBS handheld priming tool would be nice to have. I should get one.
    I have a real old Lee without the primer tray, and a somewhat newer Lee with the primer tray. Both do a good job.
    Has anyone used the RCBS bench mounted priming tool?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I went ahead and ordered the RCBS universal one. Cost more but i figured it would probly last longer and work better than my Lee. I plan to contact Lee on my current one and if they will make good on it i will just give it to someone who is new to reloading and needs help getting started. Like I said before it was never my favorite tool because it didnt fit me well. But i primed probly 4000 pieces of brass with it in about a year so i figure i got my moneys worth. Thanks for the suggestions. I had looked at it before but i wanted some real world opinions that i could confirm my hunches on.

Top Bottom