• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just got into duck/geese hunting this year, and fell in love. I'm not a shotgun guy, and know very little about them. I always wondered why some shotguns were so expensive. I knew there had to be a reason, but had no clue what it was. This week I learned a little of the difference.

I owned 2 shotguns at the time, my old trusty 870 20 ga that I used for rabbits (didnt see the need for anything else, and still don't for that purpose)

I also owned a Mossberg 935 that was my turkey gun (even though I didnt turkey hunt).

For a duck/goose gun I wanted semi auto, ability to shoot 3.5 shells, so the obvious answer was my 935. Again, why would my buddies 1500 dollar Browning A be any better. Same shells, same barrel length, same choke, 2x the cost. My Mossberg worked fine all season, but I didn't hit much being a newbie. How do we fix this? Off season practice. I go buy Walmart special 2 3/4 #7.5 shells, and go to my buddies with the A5 to shoot some clays. His A5 ran low power shells like a champ, my Mossberg became a single shot. First thought was practice clays with the 870, hunt with the Mossberg, problem solved. Then logic set in, and we all know you practice with what you will be using so now Im hunting a new shotgun.

Requirements.

Shoots low power shells as well as 3.5 inch.
    Semi auto
    1k or less in cost
    screw in choke's

Suggestions?

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Hey Allen. I did quite a bit of research on this topic two years ago. I talked to a bunch of guys who waterfowl all over the country and read countless message forums. I ended up going with a Winchester SX3. Couldn't be happier. Cycles everything I throw at it. IMO recoil is very minimal, even with heavier loads. You can spend more on a Benelli or Beretta, but don't think you will get a better gun. I believe Winchester just released a SX4 model, but not sure what the difference is between it and the SX3.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hey Allen. I did quite a bit of research on this topic two years ago. I talked to a bunch of guys who waterfowl all over the country and read countless message forums. I ended up going with a Winchester SX3. Couldn't be happier. Cycles everything I throw at it. IMO recoil is very minimal, even with heavier loads. You can spend more on a Benelli or Beretta, but don't think you will get a better gun. I believe Winchester just released a SX4 model, but not sure what the difference is between it and the SX3.

In my couple days research it appears the Franchi Intensity, and SX3 should be my front runners.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Probably can't go wrong with either and both should come in at or under budget. I would have to re-check my notes but was thinking the Franchi's are made in the same factory as the Benelli m2 and the Winchester same as one of the Browning models. Don't quote me on that :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Probably can't go wrong with either and both should come in at or under budget. I would have to re-check my notes but was thinking the Franchi's are made in the same factory as the Benelli m2 and the Winchester same as one of the Browning models. Don't quote me on that :)

I believe I have read that in the last couple days.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Bottom line in shot guns, to me, is fit. Price is secondary.

While my trap/skeet guns are tried and true older Brownings; I picked up a Stoeger M3500 last year and have been very impressed. For me, it points great, functions well and is at a price point that, as a field gun, won't worry about it getting dinged up.

After a couple hundred rounds on the trap range of 3", it will cycle anything from the lightest target loads up to brutal turkey loads.

Is the $1500 Browning "better"? Sure; nicer machining - definitely looks more expensive but it doesn't point or shoot any better. Before you decide, take an opportunity to shoulder the Stoeger.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Bottom line in shot guns, to me, is fit. Price is secondary.

While my trap/skeet guns are tried and true older Brownings; I picked up a Stoeger M3500 last year and have been very impressed. For me, it points great, functions well and is at a price point that, as a field gun, won't worry about it getting dinged up.

After a couple hundred rounds on the trap range of 3", it will cycle anything from the lightest target loads up to brutal turkey loads.

Is the $1500 Browning "better"? Sure; nicer machining - definitely looks more expensive but it doesn't point or shoot any better. Before you decide, take an opportunity to shoulder the Stoeger.

Im hoping to sholder a few at NRA in a couple weeks. Problem is, I dont know how a shotgun is ment to feel, or point. Last week was the first time I had shot more than 5 rounds through a shotgun since I was 8 years old. I bet I have less than 500 rounds down range in my life through a shotgun.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Second for the Stoeger M3500. Its basically a budget Benelli. Got mine for $650 at Bass Pro so I'm sure you can find them for less.

Full disclosure, they do recommend a break in period in order for it to cycle light loads, but I never experienced an issue.

Another disclosure, mine did have to go back to Stoeger, but it was for a totally random, not sure how it happened, issue. The recoil spring that wraps around the magazine rube somehow folded over itself and I was unable to disassemble the gun. They took care of me now problem and it has a few years without a single hiccup since then.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Im hoping to sholder a few at NRA in a couple weeks. Problem is, I dont know how a shotgun is ment to feel, or point. Last week was the first time I had shot more than 5 rounds through a shotgun since I was 8 years old. I bet I have less than 500 rounds down range in my life through a shotgun.

First find a gun that length of pull, weight, etc just feels comfortable to shoulder properly (pocket of shoulder, proper check weld, etc.). It should move effortlessly with your point of focus.

Put a quarter on the rib and shoulder the gun. If you can't see both sides of the quarter. The drop is right - or just see that your sight plane is level. Given your expertise in optics - you know more about this than I ever will.

Its all very personal and unrelated to price. My Stoeger fits perfect. Browning mostly do but a couple needed adjustable butt plates. Now, my Uncle has a VERY Expensive Perazzi that I can't hit the barn with as it just doesn't sit right.

Then, like any gun, it is how you shoot it. I think you are wise to start with a less expensive gun. You'll find what you like and then decide if you need a $750 waterfowl gun or want a $7500 masterpiece.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I really like my Beretta A300 outlander. I was going to recommend it, but saw that it was only a 3" gun. The A350 Xtreme should be basically the same gun.
    I have heard good things about the Remington Versamax. I have shot one once and thought it was decent, but I liked my Beretta better.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hey Allen, I'll echo some, but basically give my opinion.

I'm glad you've been bitten by the bug! It's addicting! A bunch of guys I hunt with all run SX3's (it's always that or benelli) and they are a soft shooting gun, and for some of the higher end options they are prices much lower. I know you can get them for under 1K. I shoot a Super Black Eagle 2. I've shot the living crap out of the gun, and it does thump a bit more than some of the gas guns but I love it. It is by far the most used gun I own outside of my carry pistol, and it never misses a beat. Any more I retired my dove gun and I use mine from doves, to turkey, to waterfowl, and all upland birds. I think the stoegers are basically a value version of it, I've shot them and they seem ok also.

I find that I don't shoot 3 and 1/2's nearly as much as I thought I would, but that also wouldn't shy away from buying a 3.5" gun. SX3 is a great option, for sure. I will just admit I'm a bit partial to Benelli or the inertia. In Argentina we would run 3k+ through them a day for days on end and they never quit. I've dropped mine under the ice, in the mud, and even seem them used as boat paddles and they always work. With all of that being said, I've only seen 1 SX3 lock up and become what was essentially a pump gun.

I always have to get my 2 cents in about Benelli because I'm one of those guys... But between the Franchi and SX3 go SX3 IMO but with that being said let us know what you do end up with and let us know how it goes after this and coming season!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Hey Allen, I'll echo some, but basically give my opinion.

I'm glad you've been bitten by the bug! It's addicting! A bunch of guys I hunt with all run SX3's (it's always that or benelli) and they are a soft shooting gun, and for some of the higher end options they are prices much lower. I know you can get them for under 1K. I shoot a Super Black Eagle 2. I've shot the living crap out of the gun, and it does thump a bit more than some of the gas guns but I love it. It is by far the most used gun I own outside of my carry pistol, and it never misses a beat. Any more I retired my dove gun and I use mine from doves, to turkey, to waterfowl, and all upland birds. I think the stoegers are basically a value version of it, I've shot them and they seem ok also.

I find that I don't shoot 3 and 1/2's nearly as much as I thought I would, but that also wouldn't shy away from buying a 3.5" gun. SX3 is a great option, for sure. I will just admit I'm a bit partial to Benelli or the inertia. In Argentina we would run 3k+ through them a day for days on end and they never quit. I've dropped mine under the ice, in the mud, and even seem them used as boat paddles and they always work. With all of that being said, I've only seen 1 SX3 lock up and become what was essentially a pump gun.

I always have to get my 2 cents in about Benelli because I'm one of those guys... But between the Franchi and SX3 go SX3 IMO but with that being said let us know what you do end up with and let us know how it goes after this and coming season!

I dont know that I will shoot 3.5 shells that often either, but I would hate to buy a gun then want to. I have a buddy who wants the SBE 3, so I hope that turns into an opportunity to get his SBE 2 at or near 1k.

As of this post Im split between SX3, and Franchi as far as new goes, but hopefully I can make up my mind at the NRA AM in a couple weeks playing with both, and talking to both companies.

Top Bottom