• ...and so much more!
  • sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I'm not sure how to go about this.

Is there somewhere I can go and get something machined? Any idea what it will cost?

Not exactly a high tolerance part, just a small cylindrical piece with threads on the outside and a hex shaped hole in the middle.

Basically like this (but doesn't even need the contours and can be all metal):

M3uM2Gp.jpg

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    The hex hole is the expensive part. Gonna be expensive for just one piece. Most tool shops will charge 60 to 100 an hour.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Application?
    Perhaps some gear-heads could suggest a mod to an off-the-shelf item or a combination of fittings that will meet your needs.
    For instance.....A hex hole sleeve may be the starting material for machining it. Then the external thread and parting may only be required.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    What size threads? Have you considered a socket set screw with the desired threads and and just shortening it until the hex comes through? If it's a "bastard" then drop me a line and I'll fix you up

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Depending on application, it may be possible to TIG weld a hex hole bolt into a piece of steel that has threads on the outside.

As long as the hex hole goes all the way through.

Application?
    Perhaps some gear-heads could suggest a mod to an off-the-shelf item or a combination of fittings that will meet your needs.
    For instance.....A hex hole sleeve may be the starting material for machining it. Then the external thread and parting may only be required.

This cap screws into a metal tube that's threaded on the end. It holds a gas canister inside of the tube. That's the simplest way to put it.

The hex hole is what I need to be able to screw it in, it requires some force. The hex hole needs to go all the way through for other reasons which I won't complicate this with as they aren't really relevant.

Good thinking with the sleeve.

What size threads? Have you considered a socket set screw with the desired threads and and just shortening it until the hex comes through? If it's a "bastard" then drop me a line and I'll fix you up

Haven't measured it yet. Honestly I'm not sure how these things are usually denoted, that's why I left it out. The tube is about 3/4 of an inch inner diameter. Maybe a tad larger.

That's not a bad idea too, assuming I can find one that can fit. Won't I have to worry about the threads matching up though?

By the way, the hex hole doesn't need to be any particular size, so there's some flexibility there. Right now it's maybe 3/16, could go smaller or larger.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Because the hole goes all the way through it's a bit easier because you can use a normal broach (instead of a rota-broach). Problem is, if the shop you take it to doesn't have the broach you need it's still going to be expensive. A new broach will cost $100-400 for normal sizes, more for odd sizes. Your best bet is going to be to call around to some real machine shops (they are most likely to have broaches already in the tool-crib) and ask.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    IF you can find the right size set screw, and, IF it doesn't have to be hex all the way through, just drill a hole all the way through a little smaller than the hex. Shouldn't cost much more than the price of the set screw.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Okay I think I'll look a bit further into finding a set screw that I can cut down, if not I'll just call some machine shops and go from there.

Thanks for all of your help.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Any "good" toolmaker can make a simple broach pretty easy anyways. You are going to have to decide the thread size and pitch, you can go either English or metric threads to get as close as possible. If I had the thread dia and pitch I would have you one tomorrow.

suggested sizes
    3/4-16 or look at 20mm

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Any "good" toolmaker can make a simple broach pretty easy anyways. You are going to have to decide the thread size and pitch, you can go either English or metric threads to get as close as possible. If I had the thread dia and pitch I would have you one tomorrow.

suggested sizes
    3/4-16 or look at 20mm

I'm assuming I'd need some type of tool to measure these accurately? Like I said, not really an expert with this stuff.

That's why I was originally hoping to find a place I could just take the parts into and see what they had to say about it.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Shoot me a PM, my brother is a machinist and he makes stuff for me all the time you would just have to buy materials.

I am located in Fort Wayne but will be driving through indy on Fathers Day weekend.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Shoot me a PM, my brother is a machinist and he makes stuff for me all the time you would just have to buy materials.

I am located in Fort Wayne but will be driving through indy on Fathers Day weekend.

I appreciate it.

Let me see if I can get some measurements either by figuring it out myself or contacting the company who makes the parts.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Will brass work?

JMF 3/4 in. Yellow Brass Lead Free Pipe Counter Sunk Plug Compression (4505368) - Brass Insert / Thread Fittings - Ace Hardware

• 4" pipe thread
    • Yellow brass
    • Tightens with hex key
    • Used with brass, copper and iron pipe
    • Low to medium pressure lines
    • Pipe threads are not interchangeable with flare or compression threads
    • All tubing sizes are OD
    • This product contains less than 0.25% weighted average lead content on wetted surfaces
    • Lead free version of Ace no. 4233698

That looks about perfect if I can get a hole in it, and yeah, material doesn't matter, any kind of metal will do.

Thanks!

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    Try searching McMaster-Carr for Hollow Lock Set Screws. Depending on the combination of thread, hex size and length, you might be able to get away on the cheap.

If you do not need hex all the way through, you can also just shorten a set screw to length and drill the center thru.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Try searching McMaster-Carr for Hollow Lock Set Screws. Depending on the combination of thread, hex size and length, you might be able to get away on the cheap.

If you do not need hex all the way through, you can also just shorten a set screw to length and drill the center thru.

This looks about perfect.

I need to figure out these exact sizes though (guess I can just measure threads per inch for pitch, not sure about the depth of the threads) before I can go for anything pre-made.

I don't need the hex to go all the way through, just some kind of hole with enough hex to grab with an allen key.

When you do find a way to get it done, make about 5. Never hurts to have extras.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

If your close to beech grove, I'll make it on my lathe for you for free. Gives me something to do and meet a new ingo member!

I might just take you up on that if I can't find something that will just happen to work, or if I find something that needs modification. I can drill a hole over here but that's about the limit of my capabilities with the tools I have.

Top Bottom