• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    My 1994 Oldsmobile gave me a similar issue. Did the plugs, wires, filters(fuel-air-EGR), added Heat to gas tank. Then I noticed if I push on the column shifter, it would stay running. Took it to a shop I trust, and they replaced neutral safety switch in steering column. The showed me how worn out the old one was. The shifter tightened up. 112,000 orig miles.
    Fixed problem.

Neutral safety switch doesn't kill the engine, it just prevents the starter from operating unless the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Neutral safety switch doesn't kill the engine, it just prevents the starter from operating unless the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

Most of the time that's true. However, as I was considering the OP's problem I wouldn't necessarily rule that out taking into account the year/make/model. Every now and then GM has been silly enough to send ignition signal through the neutral safety switch. I was planning on coming back and recommending checking it as well. Checking the fuel pressure is also a good idea but you'll need a special tool for that available at most part stores.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I really want to rule out fuel pressure first, which I will probably order the adapter and gauge from RV Morse and have it permanently installed. R.V. Morse Machine - New Products

Before I order, I am going to stop by Hose and Fittings Needs at One Place | World's Largest Online Store for Your Hose and Fittings Needs! as they are local and see if I can make an adapter.

Seems like the best money to spend in a tow to a shop with good mechanics.

Start adding stuff and parts changing to chase a diagnosis and you will spend a lot more than you would having a decent mechanic diagnose and fix it.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    My friend's wife always ran on Empty.It was a Blazer.He changed the pump probably 5 times.I told my wife 1/2 full is Empty.
    Yep. The notorious blazer fuel pump. My cousin had one as well. Couldn't afford the gas so it was always empty. Numerous fuel pumps.

Keep the tank full, pump stays happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. The notorious blazer fuel pump. My cousin had one as well. Couldn't afford the gas so it was always empty. Numerous fuel pumps.

Keep the tank full, pump stays happy.

They run hot when not submersed at least partially.
    We use the half full mark as empty on all our rigs when possible.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Another issue with those fuel pumps is no one changes the fuel filters. Running the tank low gets the pumps hot and wears them out, but pushing against a restricted filter is bad too. Need to replace the in line filter every 15-20k miles.

The pumps on those are definitely the #1 culprit. If you rule that out, you can test the ignition switch. Clip a lead onto the hot wire coming out of the ignition, and another onto a ground. Check for 12v with key on. Move the shifter through the gears and see if you lose voltage. If it does, things have gone haywire in your column and you need a new switch.

Diagnosing a torque converter clutch might require plugging into your OBD II port and talking to your TCM to see what the solenoid position is.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Seems like the best money to spend in a tow to a shop with good mechanics.

Start adding stuff and parts changing to chase a diagnosis and you will spend a lot more than you would having a decent mechanic diagnose and fix it.

Negative, not paying a tow bill or shop rate. The tow bill, shop rate and parts markup would likely be more than replacing the majority of the components. The parts that I have already replaced were maintenance items that would have been done regardless.

Parts are relatively cheap and there are a lot of things that I can still test.
    For example, I can get a delco fuel pump, throttle body rebuild kit, TPS and IAC for $130 shipped.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Update, it was the fuel pump.

I was going to test fuel pressure, but figured what's the point when a new Delco fuel pump was cheaper than buying the custom TBI fuel pressure test fitting. I did the fuel pump myself by lifting the bed with a 2x8, a tow rope and my engine crane. I tried the bed tilt method as I saw a few YouTube videos on newer GM trucks, but it wasn't working on my truck.

The old pump still runs when I hook it up to my cordless drill battery, but must have been worn and not able to keep up.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is one of the biggest problems people miss when testing fuel pumps. The often will check fuel pressure...but it's equally important to check the volume of fuel it is moving. Glad that you were able to fix it

Top Bottom