• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I currently have a p22 that sounds great suppressed, but I can't seem to get any accuracy out of it. So I'm looking to get a different host.

Ruger 22/45 Lite - Great platform, (with a little work barrel can be put on a steel Mark III frame), decent price.

Ruger SR22 - Heard good things, but finding one with a threaded bbl can be difficult.

Sig Mosquito - Looks great, and I love Sig stuff, but I've heard it can be picky on ammo

?GSG? 1911 Style - Heard some good things.

I'm probably missing some options. Tell me your thoughts, I'm all ears! I'm hoping to pick something up at the 1500.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I've owned a Ruger 22/45 Lite, a Sig Mosquito, and a GSG 1911, all used as suppressor hosts.

Of the three, the Ruger is the most accurate hands down. While I enjoy shooting both the Sig and the GSG, neither are amazingly accurate (the GSG is definitely the least accurate of the group). Both the Sig and the GSG can be picky about ammo.

Now, of the 3, you could argue the cool factor vote would go to the Sig and the GSG, since they look like their bigger cousins, the P226 and 1911. But, since you asked about accuracy, Ruger.

You mentioned putting the 22/45 upper on a Mark III steel frame. If you already own a Ruger Mark III (or know where you can get a Mark II or III lower for cheap), you might want to consider a Pac Lite upper from Tactical Solutions. It will give a you a really nice Ruger MK series threaded pistol, with a decent heft to it.

While I do have my GSG and Sig still, I ended up selling my 22/45 Lite because I picked up a Pac Lite upper for my MKII. The 22/45 was great, but I didn't need two Rugers and I've had that MKII since I was a kid (well, I guess my father had it and I absconded with it when I went to college).

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a 22/45 lite and couldn't be happier. It eats everything and like Beowulf said, very accurate. Already comes with a rail or they make adapters so you can push out the rear site and replace it with a reflex style red dot. Hope to put a Vortex on mine this summer.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have a 22/45 lite and I really like it. I've had a couple of other Ruger "Mark" series pistols, never had any problems with any of them. They made some of the Tactical Solutions in an 8" ( I don't think they make them any more though) if you can find one that might help.

papa6x

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    M&P 22 is another option. Mine is pretty accurate with my Guardian and it has been good with a large variety of ammo.

I'd suggest going with something similar to whatever you have in larger calibers.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Of the three, the Ruger is the most accurate hands down. While I enjoy shooting both the Sig and the GSG, neither are amazingly accurate (the GSG is definitely the least accurate of the group). Both the Sig and the GSG can be picky about ammo.

Now, of the 3, you could argue the cool factor vote would go to the Sig and the GSG, since they look like their bigger cousins, the P226 and 1911. But, since you asked about accuracy, Ruger.

You mentioned putting the 22/45 upper on a Mark III steel frame. If you already own a Ruger Mark III (or know where you can get a Mark II or III lower for cheap), you might want to consider a Pac Lite upper from Tactical Solutions. It will give a you a really nice Ruger MK series threaded pistol, with a decent heft to it.

That's weird, my GSG conversion hasn't been picky on ammo (running on a Kimber frame) and is very accurate for fixed sights. I can usually easily hit a 3" gong at 50 yards with mine (80% or so)

Tactical Solutions makes good stuff and is very light, but the barrel I had for my Buckmark, it wasn't as accurate as my factory barrel.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's weird, my GSG conversion hasn't been picky on ammo (running on a Kimber frame) and is very accurate for fixed sights. I can usually easily hit a 3" gong at 50 yards with mine (80% or so)

Tactical Solutions makes good stuff and is very light, but the barrel I had for my Buckmark, it wasn't as accurate as my factory barrel.

I'm not sure about the conversions, but mine is the GSG 1911 Tactical. When I say picky, I should say really that it has a preference for higher powered ammo. With Mini-mags, it's 100% (well, as 100% as you can be with a rimfire gun). With Remington Golden Bullet from those big buckets, it chokes sometimes. To be fair, that Remington GB stuff, at least in the buckets, is really bottom of the barrel in terms of quality. But, these days, I'll take what I can get and I lucked out in picking up 3 of those buckets from another INGOer in the spring of 2013 for the same price he paid for them at Gander Mountain, pre-crisis (so high, but not by today's standards).

The Sig also has problems with that ammo, but the Ruger happily shoots just about anything I put through it.

I do a lot of new shooter training, since I take a lot of our foreign employees to the range when they come visit HQ here, so I will say the GSG and the Sig are way more popular with new shooters than the Ruger. Like I said earlier, I think it's the "cool factor". Of course, once you slap a silencer on the end of the barrel, anything becomes cool. :cool:

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    So I found a great deal on a threaded 22/45 at the 1500, had to bring it home. Shot about 50 rd through it for function/sound signature, LOVE it suppressed! Anyone here run subsonics, and if so do you experience FTE? I figure it's a new gun so it might need "broken in", but my CCI Quiet22 (710fps I believe) won't cycle the action. They are movie quiet though! Hopefully it'll be better in terms of accuracy than my p22.

Beside the mods already mentioned, what are some other easy upgrades for this gun that improve performance?

In an NFA related sidenote, I got to fondle the SiCo Salvo at the 1500... (visions of a suppressed SBS dancing through my head.....) Let's legalize SBS in IN!!!

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I have a P22, a Sig 1911-22, and a 22/45 lite barrel on a mk III frame. I can't tell you why, but I've fired many 22s suppressed, and it seems as if models with a tensioned sleeve barrel are quieter. My mk III originally had a threaded bull barrel, the lite upper is noticeably quieter. I like them all!

Top Bottom