• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    My dad has a vintage (1910, if I remember correctly) Remington .22 pump, hammerless rifle. It is a family piece that he is looking to get refurbished for posterity's sake. As I recall it is not in bad shape, but could use some re-blueing and just a good going over by a gunsmith that knows these old rifles. Any suggestions? It is in central IN, north of Indy, so that area is a plus, but I am in Bloomington, so anywhere in between could be worked out pretty easily. This was the first rifle that my brother and I shot as kids and was a good shooter.

Thanks for any input.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    I'd just have it checked over to be sure it's in good working order and leave the cosmetics "as is" . But that's just me and it's your rifle. Evidence of honest use by family ancestors is pretty cool for posterity too.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I would have to agree with bcsd on leaving the finish as is. ussually rebluing a gun drastically hurts the value of the gun, and lets face it most people dont expect a hundred year old gun to be perfect.

If you do decide to have it refinished, make sure you do your research and look at examples of the refinishers past work.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    My dad has a vintage (1910, if I remember correctly) Remington .22 pump, hammerless rifle. It is a family piece that he is looking to get refurbished for posterity's sake. As I recall it is not in bad shape, but could use some re-blueing and just a good going over by a gunsmith that knows these old rifles. Any suggestions? It is in central IN, north of Indy, so that area is a plus, but I am in Bloomington, so anywhere in between could be worked out pretty easily. This was the first rifle that my brother and I shot as kids and was a good shooter.

Thanks for any input.

For specific information reagarding which of the Remington Model 12's you may have, try here:
    Remington Model 12 Model configurations

It's a step by step, with photos provided, I hope that helps.

For a restoration, the only guy I've used is Doug Turnbull. He has done Winchester Model 12 and 21's shotguns, an AH Fox and Parker SxS, a Winchester Model 1985 in 405, and restored a Remington Model 12C, a replacement gift for my father, who passed his gun down to me for my children.

turnbullrestorations dot com.

Good luck!

Top Bottom