• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Will be picking up a base model armalite 308 and don't even want to look at the OEM. Can anyone recommend one that will line up correctly with the top rail and just keep going? I want a full length (15"?) Tacticool is a plus but also don't want cheap/poor quality

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Geissele, ALG, SMOS, Centurion, Noveske, 2A, Hodge/Mega, Troy, Fortis, DD, EraThr3, Seekins, BCM, and SLR

Those are all quality handguard manufacturers. Pick one that fits your budget and buy it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    IIRC, they still recommend you glue their handguard onto their barrel nut. That, in conjunction with them using their Gen2 handguard customers as Beta testers and hanging them out to dry with defective products.....I won't spend a dime with that company.

Believe he was referencing Midwest Industries. They make great stuff, I have one of their Gen 3 Mlok rails on a build I did.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    IIRC, they still recommend you glue their handguard onto their barrel nut. That, in conjunction with them using their Gen2 handguard customers as Beta testers and hanging them out to dry with defective products.....I won't spend a dime with that company.

I don't have a problem with the glue, seems to hold just fine. HG locks up solid and doesn't flex. Not sure what the issues were with the gen 2 HGs. Was before I knew anything from MWI apparently. I like the inclusion of QD attachments and the weight of their HGs. YMMV.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You will have a problem with that glue if you ever need to re-barrel your firearm. There's a lot of well engineered solutions for the barrel nut/rail interface. The fact that Midwest still wants their users to glue on their handguard is asinine. Their handguards aren't any cheaper than the other quality options out there, so why buy an inferior design.

And what happened with their Gen 2's is they were coming loose. Midwest's response was to tell their customers to drill and tap through the rail and nut and put a bolt in it to keep them from coming loose. Midwest refused to do the machining and told their customers to do it. They continued to refuse to replace a defective design or to fix anything. They used their customers as Beta testers, and hung them out to dry. Again, their handguards aren't cheaper than better designs, so why spend money with a company that treats their customers like MW has proven to do.

The fact that people keep buying their crap after what they've done astounds me. OP, I gave you a bunch of options from companies that actually care about their customers and actually put out a good product. Personally, I'd return that MW rail and get something worth your money.

I don't have a problem with the glue, seems to hold just fine. HG locks up solid and doesn't flex. Not sure what the issues were with the gen 2 HGs. Was before I knew anything from MWI apparently. I like the inclusion of QD attachments and the weight of their HGs. YMMV.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Glue? Seriously? Never heard that before, and I definitely wouldn't buy one.

I've been using Geissele and KMR's for a while now; Geissele from strength and KMR's for weight and I'm very happy with both.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....it's a complete joke

Glue? Seriously? Never heard that before, and I definitely wouldn't buy one.

I've been using Geissele and KMR's for a while now; Geissele from strength and KMR's for weight and I'm very happy with both.

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Well optics planet had issues, also found the armalite AR10 has a space difference between most aftermarket handguards. And, of course, everywhere is back ordered/ out of stock for armalites branded one. Does anyone make one specifically for an armalite? Yes I know they will fit, but the gap will make my OCD freak out and I'll have to change it anyways. Links/names and model #'s appreciated. Need to have it ordered as early Friday as possible so I can overnight it and have it on the rifle when I pick it up this weekend

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Well I have been scouring the interwebs for a couple hours and found some really awesome looking handguards but don't know which I can order to have it fit correctly. The struggle is real folks. Signing off hopefully some of you early birds can help me find a correct fitting 15" handguard bright and early. Hope to see some input thanks everyone

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Still no luck on a handguard. Found one possibly its no name brand but they won't ship to Indiana (the only place that they won't ship) that one that I can't get is 16.5 "

Top Bottom