• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can dealer go alone if someone else calls it?

• Total voters

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I recently brought up the idea to allow someone on the team who DOESN'T make Trump to go alone in defense. Doesn't come up very often, but has a few times and certainly makes the game more exciting.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    Agree:
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Craigh

We play anyone can go alone, but has to be declared when it's your turn to order/name trump. Dealer can't call a loner on partner's order...

Your partner has has move before you - you play what HE calls - you can't override your partner's call.

Also agree- even having this rule (as a house rule) is just enabling table talk - might as well just play open handed at that point.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the dealer let's say you turn up what would be the right bower (sp?). He has the left , ace, king of trump and two off suit aces. The dealer could have the king, queen, 10, and 9 of trump and, of course, the right. You don't have to have a "lay down" hand to go alone. I, and my partners, will often go alone without a perfect hand. Several variations that could lead to both partners having a "lone" hand.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I had someone order up the right to the other team and go alone....it was a good laugh, but he did make one point.

I have done that when in the barn and only needed a point to win. I am a bit of an ass...

Also, to the original question, you can only go along when you make trump. That is why when the opposing team dealer has a bad poker face and is giddy, you order them up so they cannot go alone on the card. I have never done that but had it done to me when I faked the other side into that I was going alone. Got two points off euchreing them when I at most would have gotten one point if all went right.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    My father-in-law (may he Rest In Peace) was famous for ordering trump to deny a loaner. knowing full well he would be set, reasoning the 2 points was better than 4. Of course this was dependent on what was in his had, you had to show -0- emotion like playing poker. He was an accountant and brilliant with numbers and well, card counting. Nobody ever trusted him dealing, always cut the cards.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    I would never say or type that in public in Indiana. Too many people practice Euchre as a religion and might harm me for the disrespect!

In that case, this whole thread should be banned as a religious discussion.:):
    But seriously, my family has played euchre at family gatherings for as long as I can remember... and the rules are a lot different than the way my friends and I played in HS back at sports time pizza in New Albany. If I remember correctly, they called it Michigan Rules.

I think this is just another way to say "If you ain't cheating...

At any rate. Best way to keep the peace is to agree on rules before you start.

Happy Holidays!

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Because it's not a rule? If you call it a house rule before the game starts, then you'd be good to go.

Yeah, his is how I see it. I've played under various rules, and none really bother me (except I hate "stick the dealer"). As long as everyone agrees beforehand, you're golden. But going alone on your partner's call is nothing I've ever heard of, even as a house rule.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If you were the dealer my Grandfather used to insist that you have a same suit card in your hand to pick up a right bower. I never did understand that. I always figured if you were stupid enough to pick up a "right bower" with no other trump cards in your hand to play you would get what you deserved. Anyone else here of such a thing ?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you were the dealer my Grandfather used to insist that you have a same suit card in your hand to pick up a right bower. I never did understand that. I always figured if you were stupid enough to pick up a "right bower" with no other trump cards in your hand to play you would get what you deserved. Anyone else here of such a thing ?

I don't think I've heard of it. The way I've played, if you want to give 2 away, it's on you.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

Yup, I`ve never check the official rules, but was always told that you couldn`t pick up a bower unless you had other of that suit. The official Hoyal rules are out there if anyone cares to check.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    My father-in-law (may he Rest In Peace) was famous for ordering trump to deny a loaner. knowing full well he would be set, reasoning the 2 points was better than 4. Of course this was dependent on what was in his had, you had to show -0- emotion like playing poker. He was an accountant and brilliant with numbers and well, card counting. Nobody ever trusted him dealing, always cut the cards.
    He also re-nigged constantly, stole deals and was a very sore loser.
    Never said anything to preserve family unity.
    Sometimes it is better to just say nothing and smile.

Top Bottom