• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I posted this awhile back, but due to Military obligations I was unable to resolve the problem. I just got back (Gotta love losing a beautiful Indiana summer being stuck at Ft. Leonard Wood. Lol!).

I need someone to fix my AR. That stupid buffer retainer is still stuck in place and wont budge. It most likely needs a quality machinist to drill it out. Is there anyone near Bloomington that can do that for a reasonable price?

Thanks in advance.

cecbbdac-42d5-460b-b0bc-f4f9207026bd.jpg

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry, forgot to mention thats an NFA lower (SBR). It's kind of a pain to register a new one.

I have tried the break free overnight thing and as you can see the pliers damaged the receiver.

I do appreciate the suggestions but I think its gonna take some machine work to fix this one.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    idea 1) I have some surgical clamps I keep on hand which let you reach farther in tight spots than your typical pair of needle nose pliers. You might search online for such a tool or if you know someone in the medical field (my FIL is a surgical nurse) see if they can get them for you.

idea 2) A <1/8" drill or ball-end cutter should let you cut off or drill through the "stem" part of the retainer. Once you have a hole in the top of the part a pick or bent nail etc should let you get a hold of the spring or sidewall to pull it out. I'd use a drill press just to keep it from accidently hitting the receiver.

idea 3) leave it. who cares, it's only necessary for take-down convenience. Stuff the buffer back in the receiver extension when you put the upper on and you'll never know the difference when shooting.

-rvb

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    RVB has some good advice. The only thing I could add is trying to epoxy a longer piece of metal to it and pull it out that way, but you might end up with a bigger mess.

How the heck did you get it stuck in the first place?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A proper tool to get a-hold of the tip and a small amount of heat????
    I do mean casual heat....possibly a good heat gun.

Is the spring stuck between it and the lower possibly

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    idea 1) I have some surgical clamps I keep on hand which let you reach farther in tight spots than your typical pair of needle nose pliers. You might search online for such a tool or if you know someone in the medical field (my FIL is a surgical nurse) see if they can get them for you.

idea 2) A <1/8" drill or ball-end cutter should let you cut off or drill through the "stem" part of the retainer. Once you have a hole in the top of the part a pick or bent nail etc should let you get a hold of the spring or sidewall to pull it out. I'd use a drill press just to keep it from accidently hitting the receiver.

idea 3) leave it. who cares, it's only necessary for take-down convenience. Stuff the buffer back in the receiver extension when you put the upper on and you'll never know the difference when shooting.

-rvb

That pin is hard as Chinese arithmetic I think. I could be wrong but it is not soft.

#3 works.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Does it compress anymore at all? Have you tried putting a punch on it and tapping it in? It might move it enough to come loose. Tap it side to side but not extremely hard.

Drilling that out is not going to be that simple. That pin is hardened steel. The receiver is soft aluminum. It's going to be hard to not damage the receiver. Have you talked to the maker of the lower?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Personally I doubt heat is going to do much. I would guess that there was a burr in the hole and when the pin was pushed in the burr got stuck between the pin and the side wall. The pin is wedged in. If you can grip the pin good enough it will spin in the hole and come out. You will need to clean that hole out. Maybe ream it to remove the burr. Just a guess.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Drill small hole in top of buffer retainer then screw a sheet metal screw into it. Grab ahold of screw with vice grips that are locked down good and YANK THAT MUTHA OUT!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With the cost of an Anderson being so low, it might be a better idea to buy one of those for cheap and swap everything over.

This is my vote. Looking at the Anderson site as well as Brownells, you can have a new lower for around $120 including transfers if you do it right. Given your effort and lack of progress, if it were me I'd chalk it up to experience and replace your lower. Just seems easier. How much is your time worth?

Maybe time for a cool lower like a Spikes hellbreaker? :rockwoot:

Hellbreaker Billet Stripped Lower [STLB500] - $299.95 : Spikes Tactical

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is my vote. Looking at the Anderson site as well as Brownells, you can have a new lower for around $120 including transfers if you do it right. Given your effort and lack of progress, if it were me I'd chalk it up to experience and replace your lower. Just seems easier. How much is your time worth?

Maybe time for a cool lower like a Spikes hellbreaker? :rockwoot:

Hellbreaker Billet Stripped Lower [STLB500] - $299.95 : Spikes Tactical

It's an NFA gun. Read back up the thread a bit. So it's not a simple/cheap transfer. 200 dollar tax stamp and a wait time. He really need to try what he can to get the pin out. I wish he were closer. I'd be glad to help if i could.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's an NFA gun. Read back up the thread a bit. So it's not a simple/cheap transfer. 200 dollar tax stamp and a wait time. He really need to try what he can to get the pin out. I wish he were closer. I'd be glad to help if i could.

Ugh. missed that bit, sorry. In that case I'm on team "RVB Idea 3". Ignore it and only worry about it during teardown/assembly. At least its not stuck up and in the way preventing reassembly.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    is the detent ball jambed? you have the tube off it should have shot right out...

Look at the picture. It's a pin. There is a spring under it. There is no detent ball. The pin is stuck in the hole.

It's also a hardened piece. Even if you could drill it You could not drill the center of that small pin. Would could have to grind the center of the pin down. Then try to drill it. It would take a cobalt drill and a carbide bit to grind or drill. The vibration from a grinding bit might knock it loose?

Top Bottom