• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Let me say I am a huge S&W fan in fact almost all of my handguns are Smiths. However I like the Ruger wheel guns better in. 44 and up cartridges a little better simply because of their more robust build. Which to me serves two purposes. Tames felt recoil & allows the use of hotter loads. Notice the disclaimers in some of the loading manuals and on some of the ammunition manufactures boxes stating for redhawk or encore only..

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If you want new go with the 629 I think the trigger is better than a Ruger Redhawk or the Taurus whatever its called. The S&W is more pricey but they hold value better and if you want something really nice spend the money and find a Colt Anaconda

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a 629 S&W and a colt real tree which is an Anaconda in real tree clothing. I love them both for different reasons. Run the hammer back on the Smith and listen to the mechanism, sweet music. Nothing wrong with the Colt but it is a bit clunky in that area. The Colt will handle heavier loads and actually does group better at distance. Both are scoped with 8 in. barrels. I do not know if this would be consistent with all of them but mine are well used and run great. Ruger and Tauras are OK guns but not near as sexy. JMHO

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Check out the Ruger Bisley Hunter, I have shot Redhawks, S&W and Super Blackhawks. The Bisley grip is the most comfortable for shooting magnum loads. I have also seen first hand that the Rugers hold up better under a steady diet of 44 magnum loads. And the Hunter models come from Ruger with a set of there rings if you want to mount a scope.

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I have a m44 Taurus 6.5 inch, and my buddy has a Smith 629 same barrel. The Taurus is ported, and it makes a hugh difference. These two guns are almost identical, and neither one of the has had anything done to them, they are out of the box.

The Taurus has a better trigger, DA or SA. There is almost no muzzel flip due to the porting, not so with the Smith. Both are fine guns, just don't discount Taurus, thier revolvers are on par with anybody's.

Ruger's are also great, but IMHO they are just fugley!

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Let me say I am a huge S&W fan in fact almost all of my handguns are Smiths. However I like the Ruger wheel guns better in. 44 and up cartridges a little better simply because of their more robust build. Which to me serves two purposes. Tames felt recoil & allows the use of hotter loads. Notice the disclaimers in some of the loading manuals and on some of the ammunition manufactures boxes stating for redhawk or encore only..

I am the same way... Big S&W guy, but at the .44 mag level I go with Ruger. My Super Blackhawk handle's recoil well and I like it for hunting purposes because I'm not going to chance scratching a 29-2 when out hunting.

Encore460Mag

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Huntingburg
    Thanks for all the info you guys shared on your favorite 44's,at the local gun show today I picked up a used but in excellent condition 629 performace center extreme 12 inch 44 mag....:):...cant wait to get to the range....I also put a ruger redhawk on layaway at my local gun shop 7 1/2 barrel couldn't decide so I got both:draw:....Thanks for helping spend my money guys!!!

Top Bottom